Temporary Residency or Dual Nationality

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Diocletian

Temporary Residency or Dual Nationality

Post by Diocletian »

Hi,

We have purchased a home in Neo Chorio and for the first year we expect to be using the 90 day rule. However, I wondered if there was any advice regarding temporary residency and securing it. I also have the potential ability to claim Dual nationality via birth in Nicosia prior to 1960, however, despite requesting advice from both the High Commission and the Minister of the Interior, I am still awaiting responses.

Any advice from users would be much appreciated.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
TandC

Re: Temporary Residency or Dual Nationality

Post by TandC »

Why not apply for your MEU 1?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I didn't think you could until you lived here more than 6 months of the year
Trev..
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

TandC wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:39 pm Why not apply for your MEU 1?
What is the MEU1 ?

I am trying to claim dual nationality under M123 but do not seem to elicit a response from the Ministry, mind you, Christmas did intervene. I will check up with my lawyer when in Paphos next week.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Things will be changing after the Brexit, so most residents probably don’t know the answers to your questions at present. You probably should apply for the MEU 1 if you have a property and intend to stay on island for longer periods. Or at least speak to Immigration Dept. There is a different procedure for applying for dual nationality. Again Immigration maybe a good starting point, though the Interior Ministry will handle that.
You should hear from the BHC, but most Cypriot Govt Depts are very slow to reply to letters/emails.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Was your father a Cypriot ? Because I think if your father is Cypriot, your automatically , eligible for duel nationality
Varky

Post by Varky »

Diocletian wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm
TandC wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:39 pm Why not apply for your MEU 1?
What is the MEU1 ?
I am trying to claim dual nationality under M123 but do not seem to elicit a response from the Ministry, mind you, Christmas did intervene. I will check up with my lawyer when in Paphos next week.
The subject title is Temporary Residency or Dual Nationality. MEU1 is given as permission to reside in Cyprus. Theoretically if you wish to reside in Cyprus for longer than periods of 90 days you should be applying for residency. If you are wishing to get dual nationality via obtaining a Cypriot passport this is a parallel procedure and I would suggest that this should be discussed with the Immigration department. Only you can decide what you want to do. The majority of contributors to this forum are not in a position to have the choice and citizenship follows after a period of residency.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I would think the Citizens advice office, would be in a great position to give you the answers, your looking for.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Thanks for the responses. All very useful.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Two things:

1. Immigration don't deal with applications for Cypriot nationality. This is handled by the local District Office. Nice helpful people.
2. Don't expect any help from the High Commission.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

WHL wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 pm Was your father a Cypriot ? Because I think if your father is Cypriot, your automatically , eligible for duel nationality
Since I was born pre August 1960, in Cyprus and from a British Citizen normally resident there, I believe that I fall into the category mentioned in M123.
After the annexation of Cyprus in 1914 all Cypriots became British Citizens and under this part of the Constitution of 1960 I think that I am eligible but trying to get a reply is tortuous lol
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I suspect that you will have to be living in Cyprus first and trying to find out whether you are still eligible for taking dual nationality may not be easy. It’s a long time now since 1960. The constitution that both sides signed in 1960 only lasted effectively for 3 years. A lot of things have happened since then.
If you later intend to live here as a permanent resident, you will need to apply for Permanent Residency after you have lived here for 5 years.
You will need to register with Immigration Dept.
Dee

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Don't listen to people who say you have to live here first, I asked my Cypriot next door neighbour,( he was a high ranking cival servant for many years so he knows what his talking about) and he tells me many British people with a link to Cyprus through family, are getting Cyprus passports, mainly because of Brexit, he tells me you can go to the Cyprus high commision in London, and start the process, or come to Cyprus and start the process, according to him thousands of British people are getting a Cyprus pass port and the best thing is you get to keep your UK passport.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

WHL wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:10 pm Don't listen to people who say you have to live here first, I asked my Cypriot next door neighbour,( he was a high ranking cival servant for many years so he knows what his talking about) and he tells me many British people with a link to Cyprus through family, are getting Cyprus passports, mainly because of Brexit, he tells me you can go to the Cyprus high commision in London, and start the process, or come to Cyprus and start the process, according to him thousands of British people are getting a Cyprus pass port and the best thing is you get to keep your UK passport.
Thanks for the advice. I have finally heard from the HC in London and they said, " Come in and we will start the process". As for the Constitution, the Ministry in Nicosia states that M123 is still in force and available to me. Lawyers will charge €3000+ but the HC about €80 plus stamps.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:39 am
WHL wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:10 pm Don't listen to people who say you have to live here first, I asked my Cypriot next door neighbour,( he was a high ranking cival servant for many years so he knows what his talking about) and he tells me many British people with a link to Cyprus through family, are getting Cyprus passports, mainly because of Brexit, he tells me you can go to the Cyprus high commision in London, and start the process, or come to Cyprus and start the process, according to him thousands of British people are getting a Cyprus pass port and the best thing is you get to keep your UK passport.
Thanks for the advice. I have finally heard from the HC in London and they said, " Come in and we will start the process". As for the Constitution, the Ministry in Nicosia states that M123 is still in force and available to me. Lawyers will charge €3000+ but the HC about €80 plus stamps.
Good Luck