Blesssing of the waters goes ahead despite rain and cold

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Blesssing of the waters goes ahead despite rain and cold

Post by memory man »

Dozens braved the rain and cold to mark Epiphany day with the customary blessing of the waters ceremony going ahead at Paphos port, despite an initial announcement by the town’s Municipality that the ceremony would only be held at the church following warnings by the Met Office of strong winds, thunderstorms and heavy rain.

Philenews reports that at the urging of Archbishop Chrysostomos, the Holy Cross was thrown into the icy waters and retrieved by swimmers in the presence also of President Nicos Anastasiades and other officials.

Paphos Municipality had yesterday announced the ceremony would not be held at the port and had also urged shopkeepers on the coastal front to remove and store away tables, chairs, heaters and other movable items in anticipation of gale force winds today.

Limassol Municipality meanwhile cancelled a blessing of the waters event at the old Port because of stormy seas and it was instead held in the church of Ayia Napa. Larnaca Municipality followed suit but Ayia Napa Municipality went ahead as planned.

https://in-cyprus.com/paphos-blesssing- ... -and-cold/
trevnhil

Re: Blesssing of the waters goes ahead despite rain and cold

Post by trevnhil »

They are brave people in the water.. Brrrr

It is really bad weather up here in the hills with torrential rain and really strong gale force winds..
Trev..
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Lots and lots of rain in Peyia too and strong winds.
Louise :)
lionelcyprus

Post by lionelcyprus »

I just took a walk down to the harbour. It was really wild there about an hour ago. Really strong winds by the castle. Not a lot of people about. But nice fresh air, in my opinion.
Forgot to mention - just managed to see, through the wind and rain, an Easyjet plane heading in to the airport. That would not be an easy landing - I think 90 degree crosswinds. Ow...
Last edited by lionelcyprus on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominus illuminatio mea
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Just been out for a walk to get some fresh air. Strong winds and only light rain. The roads more like rivers. Glad to be back indoors with the gas fire on a anice mug of hot sweet tea.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Thanks MM. I am just about to publish a blog about the seafront and didn't know it went ahead after all. I can amend my text accordingly...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.