Asprokemmos reservoir.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Asprokemmos reservoir.

Post by Mark »

The Asprokemmos reservoir will overflow tomorrow or Saturday.

Was there today and was amazed to see a number of food concessions allready set up and raring to go in anticipation of the large number of witnesses to the overflow.

Water development department staff were preparing car parking areas and cordoning off no go areas.

Good news for our water supply for a few years.
Jimgym

Re: Asprokemmos reservoir.

Post by Jimgym »

Excellent news. I've been away a month and seem to have missed some pretty awful weather!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What's truly funny is seeing the concession stands competing.

I want to see Kouris overflow.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Ams

Post by Ams »

I popped by yesterday lunchtime and there were no concession stands yet (just one set of metal frame bars) and very few people - but then it was new year's day and most people were with families. They must have dashed up there nice and early today to get their prime spots!

It was looking very full, but not enough that I thought it would overflow in the coming days - but I guess last night's rain, and the full flowing Xeros, have made a big difference.

Shame it didn't overflow a couple of days earlier - twice in 1 year would have been quite something!

Like Dominic I want to see Kouris overflow (though I have seen it before). Considering it's 89.3% full as at this morning, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't, it's more a question of how long it will take.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Xeros is certainly going great guns at the moment. I wonder how the replacement bridge at Roudia has fared...
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The Asprokremnos Dam isn’t quite full yet} According to the Cyprus Govt Reservour Storage table it’s 96.6% full today! So it may take a few days more!
It always amuses me that the fast food sellers hurry up there to feed the public!

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

5 days ago the same site had it at about 80% full, so it's had a lot of water in a very short time.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm!
It always amuses me that the fast food sellers hurry up there to feed the public!

Dee
And right so! It is still something special for the "public", mostly Cypriots, to enjoy the moment when the dams in their country are overflowing as it is not happening every year, sometimes every decade only. Without the dams Cyprus could not survive and would be much earlier a desert-like place as it will be in 50 or so years if the climate change continues with that speed...

There is always something negative in your posts concerning Cyprus and its people. :roll:

Max
Mark

Post by Mark »

It will overflow, I was told by a neighbour who's friends cousin knows the uncle of someone who's aunt knows the head of a department closely aligned to WDD, but not directly, however his brother confirmed via his daughter, who is married to a solicitor that deals with the WDD that his mother told him it would happen, as her friend sells souvlaki.

Put this in your pipe and smoke it.

It will happen.
Mark

Post by Mark »

PS I see nothing wrong with kill01,s post???
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Neither do I.

Mark, yes it will overflow. I wonder if there is any betting on the exact time though. I remember last year it had overflowed for some hours before the "official" time.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Article in PaphosPress this morning shows the situation more in detail: Google translated, better than nothing.. :)

"At 51 million 246,000 cubic meters of water today the reservoir of Asprokremo is located.

Yesterday's fullness at the corresponding hour was at 50 million 588,400 cubic meters of water, which means that during the last 24 hours, 656,700 cubic meters of water flowed into it.

The above data shows that Asprokremmos receives an average of 27,400 cubic meters of water per hour.

If you calculate that, with the flow as it is right now, no additional rainfall is needed, 1 million 129,000 in the last stock count this morning.

So if we calculate from 25,000-30,000 flows per hour the exact overflow time is calculated tomorrow Saturday (04/01/20) around noon to afternoon. If, of course, there is heavy rainfall in today's daylight or tonight the best scenario is to overflow tomorrow morning to noon."

As it looks like it will be sunny on that day, it will be crowded....

Max
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

@Mark...
Brilliant post above.
I wonder what Ancestry.com would make of Cyprus

CL
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Cheshire Lad wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:27 am @Mark...
Brilliant post above.
I wonder what Ancestry.com would make of Cyprus

CL
I once dated an Irish girl for a few years. Every time we went on holiday she would meet other Irish people and they would all play "Six Degrees Of Separation" until they found common ground. She never could understand how a group of English on a bus together could be so quiet.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Does anybody know the last time Asprokremos overflowed in consecutive winters?

Ian
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Since it was built in 1982 it overflowed 6 times and only 1988 and 1989 winters twice..

Max
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Thanks Max.

Ian
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Drove past the dam today. Still a fair amount to go before it overflows. Will post some pics later, but I would be surprised if it pops tomorrow. I remember last year they were a bit over-zealous with the announcements and the predictions seemed to be designed to get as many punters up there as possible. Such as "It will overflow saturday afternoon." "It will overflow monday, just after work finishes".
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Just a quick reminder that last year, visitors to the Asprokremmos dam were targeted with vehicle break-ins..
David
Mark

Post by Mark »

I believe the reservoir has overflowed, with a large number of witnesses to the event, sadly I will have to wait till tomorrow to see it.