Parents of alleged Ayia Napa gang rape victim feel optimistic

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Steve - SJD

Re: Parents of alleged Ayia Napa gang rape victim feel optimistic

Post by Steve - SJD »

OldTimer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:20 pm I do hope the hotel and the Cprus Government sue both the girl and her parents for defamation and loss of tourism caused by....
Personally I would hope that the Cyprus government would concentrate on addressing some of the problems in the system that this case has highlighted.

Let's be clear, prosecutions for rape are extremely difficult regardless of the country and circumstances. Just look to the recent press in the UK regarding the extremely low prosecution rate in rape cases reported in the UK for evidence of that. You could argue that if a country the size of the UK, with all their resources, can't get it right then what hope is there for Cyprus? That however would be defeatist and Cyprus should look to what it can do better in such cases and learn from past mistakes.

From what has been noted from the court it would appear that some things were provided that are helpful in such cases i.e. welfare officers, psychiatric counseling etc.

It is also clear that some things need changing with immediate effect i.e. the recording of all police interviews with those arrested, specially trained police officers to investigate these specific type of cases, on-going and relevant training for judges who hear the cases.

Regardless of the exact detail of this particular case, it is undeniable that it has been damaging for Cyprus. Taking control of the situation and making speedy changes is not only the best thing to do it's the right thing to do for any future victims.

Cheers

Steve