Parents of alleged Ayia Napa gang rape victim feel optimistic

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Parents of alleged Ayia Napa gang rape victim feel optimistic

Post by Dominic »

Les Bean wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:04 am That article beats the very worst that the likes of the Daily Mail comes up with. Just a lot of unsubstantiated words which say nothing
What do you mean?

Did you not find that this bit said anything, for a start?
Phileleftheros also said that the 70-page-long ruling is the answer to recent highly critical reports in the British media since all witnesses, testimonies and documents tabled were in the presence of British High Commission representatives who had raised absolutely no objection. Or any reaction.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They could have reacted at any time, had they chosen to do so. The only time they actually reacted was after the media outcry in the UK.

I am sure the truth will eventually emerge. If appeals go ahead and a miscarriage has occurred, then the perpetrators should be brought to justice. But none of us were at the courtroom or have seen any of the tapes etc, so none of us can do anything more than idly speculate.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The girl’s name and background is now all over social media. Much, I think, possibly supported through Israeli influence. With Israel backing one side and the UK the other, we will likely never find the truth.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No need to apologise. You may be right. I don't know. Nobody knows much about the case.

Support for the alleged rapists in Israel is by no means universal.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

As suspected more information is coming out - this time from the
court/judge and is being reported in full in the Greek language local
press but not in the English ones at the moment.

It appears to be a statement to address/counter some of the points
raised by the British press and is not great reading. I don't wish to
make a summary of what the judge said but suffice to say that not
everything has been reported correctly or at all.

Also in the article aside from the above it suggests that a Presidential
pardon will be given if the conviction results in jail time - though it
suggests that this is not due to external pressure rather the facts of
the case.

Cheers

Steve
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Whatever the outcome this media reporting will have unfortunately done the reputation of Ayia Napa no favours, maybe they should do what Faliraki did years ago a ‘clean up campaign “ ............€€€€€€€ maybe not !!!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Yioula wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:10 pm Whatever the outcome this media reporting will have unfortunately done the reputation of Ayia Napa no favours, maybe they should do what Faliraki did years ago a ‘clean up campaign “ ............€€€€€€€ maybe not !!!

What Reputation :shock:
memory man

Post by memory man »

I wonder if there is a connection !!

FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

This was on the official BHC Nicosia FB Page

UK in Cyprus - British High Commission Nicosia
30 December 2019 at 15:06 ·
We continue to support a British woman and her family following her arrest in Cyprus. This has been a deeply distressing case. Our staff have visited her a number of times in detention, attended court hearings, and are in regular contact with her legal representatives and local authorities.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

memory man wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:38 pm I wonder if there is a connection !!

FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES
The byname on your article is
By Inderdeep Bains In Cyprus For The Daily Mail
Is Inderdeep Bains a real name or a pen name? It appears that the author claims to be a Sikh but 'der' is German for 'the' and 'Bains' is French for 'Baths'. This looks suspiciously like "Inthedeep Baths". What credibility can be applied to what this reporter writes?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:08 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:35 pmWhat Reputation :shock:
Are you being serious :?: :?:
Meaning Ayia Napa already has a shi*t reputation , nothing could make it much worse
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

memory man wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:38 pm I wonder if there is a connection !!

FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES
Well even the Daily Mail in the article linked it states:

"There is no evidence that the Israeli government, which has close ties with the government in Nicosia, exerted more pressure than usual in a case in which Israeli citizens were arrested abroad."

The Cyprus police have this week issued arrest warrants for a couple of Israelis in the case of the Spy Van - who no doubt given their
security backgrounds will also be connected - it doesn't appear to have helped them.

Cheers

Steve
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:47 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nager.html

Another twist on the story. One of the Israelis is going for compensation.
If he's got any sense he will learn when to STFU.
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:13 pm
If he's got any sense he will learn when to STFU.
Not sure I agree, he was in a different room with his girlfriend when this alleged incident took place and should never have been arrested at all. I can understand his anger at all involved as we all know accusations like this can follow you for the rest of your life. He’s definitely one of the victims here, but I think it’s the Cypriot police he should be focusing on.
memory man

Post by memory man »

‘Thirty-five bruises found’ on teenager convicted of lying about gang rape

A diagram illustrating the teen’s bruising, which was shown in court

READ MORE
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

There's a very good article in the Sunday Mail in the column "Tales From The Coffeeshop" which covers the events.
The point that many appear to be missing is that the trial wasn't to determine whether the young lady had been raped but about making accusations and then withdrawing them which in the UK would be classed as wasting police time, in Cyprus is classed as public mischief.
Jim
memory man

Post by memory man »

Jim B wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:11 am There's a very good article in the Sunday Mail in the column "Tales From The Coffeeshop" which covers the events.

Here's the article in full.

Tales from the Coffeeshop: A PR disaster of nuclear proportions

WHO WOULD have thought that our authorities’ monumental bungling of a rape claim case would have turned into a international PR disaster of nuclear proportions for poor old Kyproulla, exposing our dysfunctional judicial system, our antiquated police procedures and our contempt for the weak while straining relations with Britain and putting the tourist year at risk?

These were just some of the consequences of the heavy-handed way the case of the teenage British girl, accused of lying about being gang-raped by 12 young Israelis, was handled by the police, the attorney-general’s office and the district court judge. Last Monday, that judge, Michalis Papathanasiou, issued his ‘guilty’ verdict in a 72-page decision, in which he said the prosecution proved its case “beyond reasonable doubt”.

In his decision, the judge said the court had “the confession of guilt by the defendant, which is voluntary and lawful and was in line with testimony that was admissible”. When the defendant “was giving statements to the police in relation to the alleged rape, she knew that in reality no rape had taken place and the statements she gave were false.”

I am no lawyer, so I have no legal arguments to offer, but what I can’t get my head round is why the police needed more than seven hours to secure the “confession of guilt” of the teenager if it were given by her own volition? And could the panic attacks she suffered and bursting into tears during the voluntary confession – documented by the court – have rendered her confession unreliable, the product of emotional instability?

Considering this was just a messed-up kid, being questioned by cops, without a lawyer to advise her, it is difficult to understand how the judge viewed the confession as totally reliable.

WORSE STILL was the insensitive, bordering on cruel, treatment of the teenager. First, she was remanded in custody, held in the central prisons for more than four weeks, for what was a minor offence, that carried a maximum penalty of one year in prison and/or €1700 fine.

She did not pose a threat to the public. There was no danger of her influencing witnesses and tampering with evidence, yet a judge saw it fit to keep her behind bars for a month. And when she was finally released on bail, her passport was held by the police so she would not flee the country and avoid punishment for her heinous crime.

Instead, she was kept on the island for five months unable to attend university, where she was due to start in September, so that she could be tried on the charges of “public mischief”. This is not to mention the PTSD she was suffering and her need of treatment. The harshness of the attorney-general and courts in insisting on keeping her in Cyprus until the trial was completed was beyond belief given the triviality of the offence.

Why was she not allowed to go home and return for the trial? And if she failed to return, she could have been tried in absentia and that would have been the end of the story. The harsh treatment of the teenager was how you would expect a woman to be treated in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan but not in an EU member-state.

THE REPORTER of the Daily Mail, Inderdeep Bains, who covered the proceedings from start to finish, was far from flattering about Papathanasiou, whom he described as “bullish” in an article published on New Year’s Eve. The judge, it appears, made sure that gross insensitivity shown towards the teenager by our authorities was also evident in his court room.

Bains wrote: “I lost count of the times I was left deeply disturbed by district judge Michalis Papathanasiou’s frequent aggressive outbursts. I have never seen a judge act so unprofessionally and with such disdain for a defendant. Typically, he would lose his temper, scowl and shout in Greek: ‘show respect, face the front and you must respect this court.’ The trigger for his outbursts could have been something as trivial as the woman gesturing to her lawyer or gazing out of the window.”

Bains also quoted Dr Marios Madsakis as saying the judge “was shouting, he was aggressive”. The crazy doctor, who was working for the defence, also told the Daily Mail: “It was shameful, judges like this should go home.”

If there was one criticism I would make against Cypriot judges, having been in court rooms in all districts except Paphos, it is that they are usually very laidback and accommodating, which makes Papathanasiou’s aggressiveness very surprising indeed.

JUDGE Papathanasiou, while a practising lawyer in 2010, represented the suspected paymaster of a Russian spy ring operating in the US for whom the FBI had issued an international arrest warrant. Canadian national Christopher Metsos was arrested at Larnaca airport by the Cyprus police and taken to court, which to everyones astonishment was granted bail.

Two days later pictures of Metsos opening champagne bottles in Moscow surfaced. Papathanasiou had nothing to do with this, but how our courts could grant bail to a man wanted in the US for spying, while issuing a remand order against a teenager facing a public mischief charge, is one of the great legal mysteries of our time.

IF CYPRIOT hoteliers have followed the British media’s onslaught about the verdict in the last week, they will not be looking forward to the happy new year we wished them. There has been a barrage of critical reports about the police, the courts, the justice system and the lack of respect for human rights, ever since the issuing of the verdict last Monday.

The case has made it on BBC and ITV television news on consecutive nights, on BBC radio and into all the main newspapers including The Times, The Guardian and The Telegraph. And to cap it all there has been an online campaign #boycott Cyprus urging people not to holiday on our beautiful island, because it is not safe for female tourists. A Guardian columnist, said “the message could hardly be starker: if you are attacked do not expect the authorities to help you.”

The timing of the verdict was also unfortunate, as January is the time many Brits book their summer holidays and with all this negative publicity they could decide not to come to the sunshine isle. Sentencing, scheduled for Tuesday, could prolong the unflattering reports, even though we cannot rule out Famagusta hoteliers staging a protest outside Famagusta district court demanding a lenient sentence for the teenager.

MORE damaging than the ultra-negative media coverage and the boycott campaign was the stand of the British Foreign Office which rarely intervenes in court cases involving Brits abroad.

In this case, however, a Foreign Office spokesman described events as “deeply distressing” and said the British government was “seriously concerned” about the teenager’s right to a fair trial. In diplomatic language it was saying the woman’s right to a fair trial had not been respected.

This highly unusual stance by the Foreign Office could have more influence on the holiday decisions of Brits than the bad press. Even though we Greek Cypriots are accustomed to being stabbed in the back by the duplicitous, hostile Foreign Office on the Cyprob, we were not too bothered because it did not affect our pockets.

This intervention though could have economic repercussions, which was why our government has adopted a rather apologetic stance, claiming that it could not interfere in the work of the judiciary.

If this case does mess up our 2020 tourist season and reduces revenue from our main tourist market, we would have paid a very high price in keeping our strategic ally and gas partner Israel happy. Freeing the Israeli men, whose nastiness to the girl was quite shocking, and putting them on a flight home, as soon as the cops got the British girl to ‘voluntarily’ retract her rape allegations, was not the happy ending our authorities had hoped for.

It can console itself that at least our friend and ally, Israel, had no complaints.

Sorry about sticking to a single issue, but it has been a slow week. Normal service resumes next Sunday.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/01/05/tale ... oportions/
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Why print out the article? Waste of space and the server memory that Dominic is paying for. Your last line says exactly the same thing as the whole of your post. I do not like scrolling down posts, especially as I'd already read it yesterday. :( (Guess I got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Thanks for posting the article MM.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:43 am Why print out the article? Waste of space and the server memory that Dominic is paying for. Your last line says exactly the same thing as the whole of your post. I do not like scrolling down posts, especially as I'd already read it yesterday. :( (Guess I got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!)
You've been getting out of bed on the wrong side quite a lot recently. Is everything Ok?

With regards to server memory, the average image posted in about 150 - 200k in size. Have you any idea how much text would fit in 200k? Allowing for 2 byte unicode characters, you have 131,072 characters to play with. Julius Caesar, that most noble of Shakespearean plays, has under 20,000 words in it. It is safe to assume that the average number of letters per word in that epic is under 7. So it can be concluded that you can fit the entire text of Julius Caesar into the same server space as you would fit an average blog or forum picture.