Parents of alleged Ayia Napa gang rape victim feel optimistic

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Parents of alleged Ayia Napa gang rape victim feel optimistic

Post by Devil »

71 Trans Am wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:36 pm SKY News Latest
Codswallop! Totally unrealistic!
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Devil
It seems to me that your opinion has to be right no matter what the facts are or what the argument is – You could easily get a job in Cypriot law enforcement because you are totally blinkered . You may be a very intelligent man but you are well out of touch with reality.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I think that Devil is an old grump and so his vast intellectual capacity is very biased. Just like a lot of us old gits. However, he does USUALLY back his comments with facts.
All things are possible
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

In fairness to Devil what is being presented is the position of the defense who will no doubt be trying to ensure the best outcome for their client. They will, and rightly so, present the information in the best way they see to get their case across.

Clearly there have been mistakes in this case which need addressing i.e. ensuring going forward taped interviews and perhaps mandatory legal advice.

However, according to the court/judge, they have addressed many of the points raised above and highlighted some things which have not been mentioned.

Strip out everything else and perhaps the legal question will be - did the girl in question give false statements to the police of her own volition.

Cheers

Steve
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

From information gleaned over the months since the incident was first reported, she was coerced by the police to retract her initial statement regarding the rape taking place.

It's also been reported that this is not the first time such a retraction has been pushed for and in those incidents - the complainant has then been charged with causing a mischief.

Sadly, it seems there is still a problem with a large number of Cypriot men above a certain age who think it's perfectly okay for women to be used as sex objects to be pawed over or harassed.

We saw it happen on a regular basis in a local bar we used to frequent and later, a bar that we ran along with two of our friends. There were customers who we had to warn lady customers against, not to sit close to them after they had a drink as the men in question were noted for their lecherous activities, pushing for phone numbers and groping women if they stood or sat at the bar counter.....

What hope is there for getting a decent trial or conviction if this is still a common attitude?
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Good post PhotoLady and one in which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Maggie B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:24 pm From information gleaned over the months since the incident was first reported, she was coerced by the police to retract her initial statement regarding the rape taking place.

It's also been reported that this is not the first time such a retraction has been pushed for and in those incidents - the complainant has then been charged with causing a mischief.

Sadly, it seems there is still a problem with a large number of Cypriot men above a certain age who think it's perfectly okay for women to be used as sex objects to be pawed over or harassed.

We saw it happen on a regular basis in a local bar we used to frequent and later, a bar that we ran along with two of our friends. There were customers who we had to warn lady customers against, not to sit close to them after they had a drink as the men in question were noted for their lecherous activities, pushing for phone numbers and groping women if they stood or sat at the bar counter.....

What hope is there for getting a decent trial or conviction if this is still a common attitude?
If you ran the bar why did you not just ban the men in question?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Me too! There's little doubt that young English girls coming to Cyprus in the summer should be aware that things can be very different to what they're used to in the UK. They must look after themselves. If they drink too much then they may be risking trouble as they could be at the mercy of the men that they meet in bars and discos.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:19 pm
PhotoLady wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:24 pm From information gleaned over the months since the incident was first reported, she was coerced by the police to retract her initial statement regarding the rape taking place.

If you ran the bar why did you not just ban the men in question?
Exactly.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 pm Me too! There's little doubt that young English girls coming to Cyprus in the summer should be aware that things can be very different to what they're used to in the UK. They must look after themselves. If they drink too much then they may be risking trouble as they could be at the mercy of the men that they meet in bars and discos.

Dee
Young English girls coming to Ayia Napa in the summer know exactly what Napa has to offer, that's why they choose Napa, that goes for young girls from Scandinavian, and any European country.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

WHL........what are you saying???

That they ALL go to Ayia Napa to get drunk take drugs and have sex you can’t tarnish ALl with the same brush 😡
WHL

Post by WHL »

Yioula wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:38 pm WHL........what are you saying???

That they ALL go to Ayia Napa to get drunk take drugs and have sex you can’t tarnish ALl with the same brush 😡
Unless you have lived in a cave for the past thirty years, 99.99% of youngsters, would know what having a holiday in Ayia Napa meant .
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

The court/judge suggests that - what has now been described as the consensual sex part was initially reported as rape by the lady in question. It suggests that two statements were given to the police by her detailing the rape allegation against the first person. Later and again in court a third version - this time one of consensual sex was given. This was one of the judge's points raised in a seventy page response by him apparently and was clearly an important part of arriving at the decision he did.
PhotoLady wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:24 pmafter they had a drink as the men in question were noted for their lecherous activities, pushing for phone numbers and groping women if they stood or sat at the bar counter.....
In fairness that description could be used for quite a few British lads "partying" in Ayia Napa.

Cheers

Steve
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

WHL..........looks like you enjoyed the party in Ayia Napa 😂
WHL

Post by WHL »

Yioula wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:13 am WHL..........looks like you enjoyed the party in Ayia Napa 😂
I enjoyed going to Napa thirty years ago, when it was filled mainly by scandavanian family's, a very pleasant place to enjoy a walk around the busy streets, enjoy a meal or drink, amongst nice civilised people, then it changed, they targeted the youngsters who wanted a wild drink until you pass out, club culture , get your leg over with as many people you can in a week, sleep it off on the beach and do the same over again, Napa is only half hour drive from us, but it must be twenty years, since I last visited,
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I was there 2003 not at the “party time “ very enjoyable break.
Hopefully after all this unfavourable publicity the new Mayor will try to change its image but he might receive resistance as it’s very lucrative busy for some of the local establishments.......
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

The SUN NEWS -- Today

Cyprus rape case teenager: Gang were like a pack of wolves
A British teenager found guilty of lying about being gang-raped in Cyprus has said she was attacked by a group of young men and boys behaving "like animals".
The 19-year-old claimed she was raped by up to 12 Israeli tourists in a hotel room in the town of Ayia Napa on July 17, before being charged herself after signing a retraction statement 10 days later.
She maintains she was raped, but was forced to change her account under pressure from Cypriot police following hours of questioning alone and without legal representation.
The assaults were so frenzied she did not know how many of a group of 12 boys and young men raped her, she told the Sun.
"They were lining up, excited, talking and shouting in Hebrew," said the teenager, who cannot be named.
"I was trying to fight them off but I just couldn't.
"They were like a pack of animals – a pack of wolves." She admitted thinking she was going to die during the incident, which happened when she was 18.
She spent a month in prison before being granted bail in August, flying back to the UK earlier this month after being given a four-month jail sentence, suspended for three years, at Famagusta District Court in Paralimni.
Since returning to Britain she has launched an appeal against her public mischief conviction to Cyprus's supreme court.
Political opponents have weighed in, with Foreign Office Minister Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon telling the House of Lords that issues around the case were of "deep concern" and Liberal Democrat Baroness Hussein-Ece calling it "a grotesque miscarriage of justice".
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

So she's back on the 12 boy gang rape, while the police proved that at least one of the 12 was in bed with his girl at the time.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Any one know how much the Sun, paid her for her story ?,..... also what happened to the, over one hundred grand she got from crowd funding?
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

WHL – She must have been paid well this is the second tale today.

HOLS HELL
Ayia Napa ‘rape lie’ Brit warns other young girls to ‘stay away from Cyprus’ after her horror ordeal
THE British rape victim has warned other young girls: “Stay away from Cyprus.”
She told The Sun: “Cyprus was a holiday island for me but now it represents a personal hell. The teen told how she secured a holiday spot with a company that charged high prices but forced her to stay in a damp, dangerous basement room
“If you’re my age and thinking of going to Cyprus this summer, I’d just tell you this — don’t go, just go somewhere else.”
She had dreamed of a career as an anti-terror cop but, after speaking to a pal who had worked abroad, decided to spend a summer in the sun before her uni course.
After looking online, she found a company called Summer Takeover — paying just a £1 deposit to secure her place in Ayia Napa.
The girl, then only 18, paid more than £500 in total before jetting out last July.
RAW SEWAGE LEAKING INTO ROOMS
After landing with six others, she said she was charged another 300 euros in fees by reps.
She added: “I’d taken 450 euros and already I was nearly out of money.”
She was taken to a dank basement room which she shared with three others.
She said: “Within a few days we all started getting ill with chest infections and raw sewage starting leaking into the room.
“It was awful — worse than the prison cell I was held in later. People’s stuff kept on getting stolen and I had a dress that was taken and my debit card went missing.
"When a woman from the Foreign Office came after the rape happened, she was shocked at how we were all living.”
The hotel can have almost 1,000 guests at any one time in its 240 rooms.