Parents of alleged Ayia Napa gang rape victim feel optimistic

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

Re: Parents of alleged Ayia Napa gang rape victim feel optimistic

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Mother of British teenager convicted in Cyprus backs tourism boycott

The mother of a British teenager found guilty of lying about being gang-raped in Cyprus has backed calls for a tourism boycott of the country.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that she supported the campaign and that she believes the resort town of Ayia Napa is unsafe.
"The place isn't safe – it is absolutely not safe. And if you go and report something that's happened to you, you're either laughed at, as far as I can tell, or, in the worst case, something like what's happened to my daughter may happen," she said.
The woman said her daughter is experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), hallucinations, and is sleeping for up to 20 hours a day because of a condition called hypersomnia.
"She needs to get back to the UK to get that treated – that's my absolute primary focus. She can't be treated here because hearing foreign men speaking loudly will trigger an episode...
"It needs resolving otherwise she's going to carry on having this for the rest of her life," the woman said.
She said her daughter had planned to go to university this year after being accepted for the courses she applied for and being offered a bursary at one institute.
"So, no question, she would have gone to university, but it was in a career that she wouldn't be able to do with this 'public mischief' verdict, so – again, life-changing for her – she needs to totally rethink her options."
The UK is seriously concerned about the fair trial guarantees in this deeply distressing case and we will be raising the issue with the Cypriot authorities
Foreign Office
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:32 pm Mother of British teenager convicted in Cyprus backs tourism boycott

The mother of a British teenager found guilty of lying about being gang-raped in Cyprus has backed calls for a tourism boycott of the country.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that she supported the campaign and that she believes the resort town of Ayia Napa is unsafe.
"The place isn't safe – it is absolutely not safe. And if you go and report something that's happened to you, you're either laughed at, as far as I can tell, or, in the worst case, something like what's happened to my daughter may happen," she said.
The woman said her daughter is experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), hallucinations, and is sleeping for up to 20 hours a day because of a condition called hypersomnia.
"She needs to get back to the UK to get that treated – that's my absolute primary focus. She can't be treated here because hearing foreign men speaking loudly will trigger an episode...
"It needs resolving otherwise she's going to carry on having this for the rest of her life," the woman said.
She said her daughter had planned to go to university this year after being accepted for the courses she applied for and being offered a bursary at one institute.
"So, no question, she would have gone to university, but it was in a career that she wouldn't be able to do with this 'public mischief' verdict, so – again, life-changing for her – she needs to totally rethink her options."
The UK is seriously concerned about the fair trial guarantees in this deeply distressing case and we will be raising the issue with the Cypriot authorities
Foreign Office
Can't do the time, don't do the crime
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

WHL you come across as a hard, uncaring sort of person. Are you a bit of a misoginist perhaps?
I don’t think its right to pass sentence on here on this case when no one knows the true facts. The Foreign Office very seldom gets involved openly in this sort of case, so there must be more to this than we know. If Cyprus continues to press this case it won’t do the island, or the tourist industry here any good to have so much international bad publicity.

It also shows the Cyprus Police in a bad light, if a young girl goes to them for help and claims that she was raped and is treated in such an inhumane way by them. Ayia Napa has had a dodgy reputation for years which the Ayia Napa Mayor was trying to get rid of.
Dee
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:19 pm It also shows the Cyprus Police in a bad light, if a young girl goes to them for help and claims that she was raped and is treated in such an inhumane way by them. Ayia Napa has had a dodgy reputation for years which the Ayia Napa Mayor was trying to get rid of.
Dee
At the moment the girl is getting support and the way the case is being portrayed I agree doesn't reflect well on the Cyprus authorities and I don't believe it was handled correctly.

However, we all know how fickle the press and support can be and my concern is that as more information comes out it won't help her case.

We haven't heard much about DNA evidence, alibis of some of those accused, the videos etc which at the very least may well paint a different picture.

It's far from over and is and will be damaging for those involved and those who have had nothing to do with it.

Cheers

Steve
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:19 pm WHL you come across as a hard, uncaring sort of person. Are you a bit of a misoginist perhaps?
I don’t think its right to pass sentence on here on this case when no one knows the true facts. The Foreign Office very seldom gets involved openly in this sort of case, so there must be more to this than we know. If Cyprus continues to press this case it won’t do the island, or the tourist industry here any good to have so much international bad publicity.

It also shows the Cyprus Police in a bad light, if a young girl goes to them for help and claims that she was raped and is treated in such an inhumane way by them. Ayia Napa has had a dodgy reputation for years which the Ayia Napa Mayor was trying to get rid of.
Dee
And you come over as someone who takes every opportunity, to put the boot into Cyprus its people, its police, its judges etc etc, in fact after reading many many of your posts, I cant remember one post where you have said a good word about the place,
The reason Ayia Napa has a bad reputation, is people like the lady we are discussing jump into bed with strangers the minute they arrive at the place,
She has been shown up in court to be a liar, and could of sent innocent people to jail, so I have no simpaphy for her, my sympathy lie with the poor women who are really raped
memory man

Post by memory man »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:19 pm people like the lady we are discussing jump into bed with strangers the minute they arrive at the place,
That's quite a damning statement to make WHL
WHL

Post by WHL »

memory man wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:10 pm
Kili01 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:19 pm people like the lady we are discussing jump into bed with strangers the minute they arrive at the place,
That's quite a damning statement to make WHL
Are you serious? What do they visit Napa for? The culture ,museums perhaps, ... get real.
memory man

Post by memory man »

I think it's time that you (WHL) gets an adult perspective on this.

* Just out of curiosity WHL, what religion are you?

I have my ideas !!
memory man

Post by memory man »

Apologies to WHL

I will not be able to reply to this thread for a day or two
as I am off to UK in about 2 hours.
WHL

Post by WHL »

memory man wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:47 pm I think it's time that you (WHL) gets an adult perspective on this.

* Just out of curiosity WHL, what religion are you?

I have my ideas !!
I would love to know from you what is not ..Adult.. about my post.

As for your what, religion are you, I will wait until Dominic, makes it compulsory for members, to disclose their religion on the forum , until then, with respect, its none of your business, cheers
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

memory man wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:47 pm * Just out of curiosity WHL, what religion are you?

I have my ideas !!
What a very very strange question is this. Sorry but I do not like it at all.
Louise :)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks for that Austin 7. I didn’t write or make any remark like that!
I just suggested that we should wait until more evidence is presented to the court.
I stand by my remark about the police there in as much as the way that the poor girl
has been treated. Surely an interrogation by police officers who speak English as a foreign language, and with no opportunity for a lawyer to be present was wrong? There is every chance of a misunderstanding. Had she had a good Cypriot lawyer before making any statement, the outcome might have been different.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nobody has to divulge anything they don't want to anybody else on this forum.

But if we did get a list of deities worshipped by forum members, they couldn't all be genuine, could they? And who's to say that your's is the real one?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
June

Post by June »

As I understand it anyone in this young girl's situation should under Cypriot/Eu rules have been given access to a solicitor and had the interviews recorded. As this obviously didn't happen I'm not surprised the foreign office has now intervened.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

June wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:52 pm As I understand it anyone in this young girl's situation should under Cypriot/Eu rules have been given access to a solicitor and had the interviews recorded. As this obviously didn't happen I'm not surprised the foreign office has now intervened.
No - EU law doesn't require police interviews to be recorded using AV - as yet.

An EU law was brought in to force in June 2019 I believe that requires interviews of children to be recorded and recommends the same for vulnerable people but everything else is down to local legislation.

I am a little surprised at some comments I have read elsewhere stating that it's unbelievable that police interviews are not recorded - yet in the UK the recording of police interviews only came into force eighteen years ago today. I have myself being interviewed by the UK police on a few occasions when I was younger which was followed by an interview by the police complaints body and was never recorded. Personally I think all police interviews should be recorded but it is not unbelievable or astounding that they are not in Cyprus.

It should also be noted that the accused were also taken into custody for several days and interviewed - some it seems had alibis and were not present and others were minors - I don't imagine it will have been a pleasant experience for them either.

Cheers

Steve
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

This case seems to have been politicised from word go. Israel backed the lads, with no real reason, from the beginning and when released, they were given almost heroes welcomes back in Israel, maybe also partly due to many (all) of them joining the IDF.

The girl, being British, has now been backed by the UK media, whether guilty or innocent.

Cyprus, without doubt, hasn’t handled things as well as they should have and now their procedures are being used to support the guilt or innocence of all.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Les Bean wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 am
Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:07 pm Nobody has to divulge anything they don't want to anybody else on this forum.

But if we did get a list of deities worshipped by forum members, they couldn't all be genuine, could they? And who's to say that your's is the real one?
We'll I dunno. As a devout atheist, I think all those who have a God COULD all be genuine. None of them can be proved or disproved
That's precisely my point. All of them COULD be right. But if the divine Big Cheese does reveal themselves, then all the other deities will immediately be revealed as fake.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:13 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... yprus.html
Certainly a different slant on the case quoting attitudes from Israel
And the Daily Mail has taken a fair and balanced view on this matter?
memory man

Post by memory man »

Detailed court ruling explains why British teen was found guilty of lying about gang rape

Famagusta district court’s 70-page-long verdict on why a 19-year-old British woman has been found guilty of lying about being gang-raped by a group of Israeli youths is the answer to criticism raised both in Cyprus and abroad, according to Phileleftheros.

This is what the daily said on Saturday, adding that they have secured a copy of last week’s ruling which has sparked controversy and slamming reports in the British media.

The court’s detailed explanation counters accusations by the defense over an unfair trial, violation of human rights of the teenager, why an interpreter and/or a psychologist was not provided etc. The court also describes expert testimony by former state pathologist Marios Matsakis as unreliable.

Phileleftheros also said that the 70-page-long ruling is the answer to recent slamming reports in the British media since all witnesses, testimonies and documents tabled were in the presence of British High Commission representatives who had raised absolutely no objection. Or any reaction.

Sentencing has been set for Tuesday, with the verdict expected to be taken before the Court of Appeals.

A few days ago, the mother of the British teenager talked to BBC and also called on holidaymakers to boycott Cyprus.

The 19-year-old, who has not been identified by media, was arrested after police said she had withdrawn an accusation that the teenagers had raped her in a hotel room at the holiday resort of Ayia Napa in July.

She maintained that she had recanted her accusation only under duress from police, during persistent questioning.

https://in-cyprus.com/detailed-court-ru ... gang-rape/
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:54 am
WHL wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:03 am
Austin7 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:13 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... yprus.html
Certainly a different slant on the case quoting attitudes from Israel
And the Daily Mail has taken a fair and balanced view on this matter? regards their reporting on this? as credible as the moon, being made of cheese.
Yes, the Mail is an example of poor journalism, however this article seems reasonably accurate and similar stories have been published in other papers.
I do wonder if you would be so apparently hard hearted in attitude were it your own, or a relative's girl invoved
Its not a question of being hard hearted, my wife brought our daughters up to respect them selves and not to jump into bed with strangers after two minutes of meeting them, this girl wasn't out of a convent, she knew what she was doing, and she has to bear some of the responsibility of here actions, no one comes out of this sordid event without being stained, the Israeli lads or this lady, she has been proved to have lied about being raped, and im sure the video evidence will back this up,
She does harm to other ladies who will suffer being raped, and her lies could of imprisoned, innocent lads, my beef is the way the Daily Mail and other red tops, have seized on this and are calling for Brits to boycott Cyprus, even trying to link Cyprus/Israel gas joint projects as one of the reasons the court has issued its verdict, had this lady been another nationality it wouldn't have got a mention in the UK press, add to that the UKs terrible history regards Rape trails, and it comes across as sheer hypocrisy,