Greek lessons

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sunspot

Greek lessons

Post by sunspot »

My partner and I would like to take Greek lessons. We are beginners. We want to learn basic phrases and then see how far we'd like to take our studies. We would be happy to have one-on-one lessons, or perhaps it would be more fun to join a small group.

Can anyone recommend a good, motivating teacher? We want to enjoy this experience! We are based in Kamares but would be happy to go anywhere in Paphos. Thank you.
Jamboal

Re: Greek lessons

Post by Jamboal »

We go to Demitri Georgiades in Paphos, he’s Canadian cypriot teaches in groups and makes learning fun, you can contact him at
learngreek@mail.com lessons. Previously we went to the local high school here in Polis but found the lessons very grammar oriented and not helpful when trying to improve your vocabulary.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Definite!y Demitri! In back streets opposite Kennedy square .Small, fun filled lessons!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

He's right by Bear in the Air!

If anybody can provide links to a fb page or website I can add him to the directory.

https://www.oldpafos.com/showcase/bear_in_the_air
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Thanks to all. We will contact him.
WHL

Post by WHL »

When my wife and I arrived here over thirty years ago, we made it our mission to learn one new word every day, we then added it, to our conversation, for example if she wanted to ask me if I wanted bread, she would ask ' thelis psomi/bread ' thelis frouda/fruit thelis kaffe/ coffee, etc we also went to the local run evening school and mixing with locals certainly helped.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Can you speak Greek then, WHL?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:03 pm Can you speak Greek then, WHL?
Yes I can have a conversation with a Greek Cypriot, because they tend to speak slower then a mainland Greek who I have trouble understanding, because they generally talk faster, ordering in restaurants, talking to the guy in the petrol station etc everyday things,
reading Greek takes me a long long time, I cant read a newspaper for example, because they use alot of words you dont hear in everyday conversation, so I read only labels on shopping, writing is a no no.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I'm impressed. Hope to follow suit too.
darrow

Post by darrow »

There is an excellent free app, DUOLINGO, that gives spoken, and written words, done in easy stages and you can practice as much as you like!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:13 pm I'm impressed. Hope to follow suit too.
Only taken thirty odd years :lol: . But seriously try to learn one word a day, start with hello/ yassou .......... yes/ nai ..........no /ohi .......tea/tchai ... coffe/kafe etc etc then add them to make a sentence, how are you, isse kala... if I can do it anyone can
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

WHL wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:14 pm
Only taken thirty odd years :lol: . But seriously try to learn one word a day, start with hello/ yassou .......... yes/ nai ..........no /ohi .......tea/tchai ... coffe/kafe etc etc then add them to make a sentence, how are you, isse kala... if I can do it anyone can
WHL
Where languages are concerned I'm just thick. I can remember about four words of Greek after nearly thirty years of visiting and living here. My wife is a Russian interpreter and translater who gave up trying to teach me Russian after realising I was a hopeless case.
I know the basics, yes, no, thank you, excuse me and can also order a beer in about fifteen languages; I manage.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:33 am
WHL wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:14 pm
WHL
Where languages are concerned I'm just thick. I can remember about four words of Greek after nearly thirty years of visiting and living here. My wife is a Russian interpreter and translater who gave up trying to teach me Russian after realising I was a hopeless case.
I know the basics, yes, no, thank you, excuse me and can also order a beer in about fifteen languages; I manage.

Jim
Mate, trust me I left school at fifteen, with a few CSEs, and the last book I read was at school,
I think the secret is wanting to learn, and not living in an expat bubble helps, my wife has been learning Italian for the last couple of years, by her self, using Duolingo on her I pad, I kid you not, we were on a cruise last year with MSC which is an Italian company, full of Italians, and at the Dinner table she was able to have conversations with Italians, who complimented her on her Italian..... the downside she has called me a couple of dodgy names in Italian, when we have had an argument :?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I started my Modern Greek lessons in UK at night school and did 6 months of study before we moved to live in Cyprus in 2004. It meant I could already read, write and speak some Greek before we landed.
Once we were settled into our home, I started lessons locally in Limassol in the town centre but later moved to a private teacher closer to where I lived to pick up the colloquial dialogue and where I met Nigel Howarth (property advice - nice man). Then, in the second year of study, I started with the lessons provided by the Government at designated schools and taught by the same teacher I had received private lessons previously. That was a bit of an eye-opener as there were a number of "Charlies" who although they could speak the dialect, they hadn't got a clue about how to read or write their own language.

"Most people can teach themselves a great deal online and through the use of books, tapes, videos and CDs. The Cypriot government, through the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation (CyBC) and in collaboration with a Cyprus website (www.kypros.org), offers an online Greek course. There’s a selection of 105 lessons on audio files, online student notes and even an online Greek dictionary. It’s completely free and all you need to do is register on the website (www.cybc.com.cy).
However, even the best students require some help and you can find out about Greek lessons by contacting the Ministry of Education and Culture (Tel. 22-800 600), who can tell you about your local Government Institute for Foreign Languages.
Greek Language for Foreigners classes are held (usually in the afternoons and evenings) at some of the state schools in Cyprus during term time. Information is available by contacting the school secretary and the cost is very low (between CY£18 and CY£20 per year). Private language schools can be found in the yellow pages under ‘Institutes’. Private teachers advertise in local newspapers. Most schools and teachers offer free tests to help you find your appropriate level and a free introductory lesson.

This may help:
https://www.justlanded.com/english/Cypr ... ning-Greek
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I did the same as you. Started learning Greek for 18 months in Holland before I moved to Cyprus 25 years ago. In Cyprus I took some of the lessons for beginners in the local state school, but the teacher said I was too good for the level he was teaching. After a few years I took some private lessons and some years ago I had some more private lessons. Writing and reading is no problem for me, but still not fluent in speaking, although I understand a lot. I also learned a lot from the Supermarket leaflets, all the words for food etc etc are there to learn, although it helped a lot that I could already read the words.
Louise :)