5 best fish to eat... not only Christmas...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

5 best fish to eat... not only Christmas...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Very informative video of healthy or unhealthy fish ( we eat a lot of farmed fish in Cyprus. :( ....) watch this video to the end...

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: 5 best fish to eat... not only Christmas...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Concerning the fresh fish we eat in Cyprus: there are currently 9 offshore fish farms and 7 small trout farms in the Troodos area.

In terms of volume, in 2015 aquaculture accounts for approximately 81 percent of fisheries production in Cyprus and in terms of value approximately 78 percent. It also accounts for an important part of the fish and fisheries products consumed in Cyprus.

These are mainly seabass (Lavraki) and seabream (Tsipoura) and freshwater trouts from the farms in the mountains.

For many years I cooked above fish at home until I found out how they were produced in fish farms. No wonder that in the fish taverns prices for non-farmed catches are so high....and not to forget, due to the high salt-water content there is very few fish in Cypriot waters.

Max
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Thanks Max, I watched it to the end and it was really informative, and I have to say I did learn a lot, we eat fish a few times a week so now I am going to be looking at fish a little bit differently and will know what is going to do us the most good.
Thanks for posting the video, I will share it with a few friends as I am sure they will be interested as well.
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

For some reason I always thought when we went out to eat and I ordered fish that it was freshly caught, I don't think I have ever seen it mentioned on a menu whether it was fish farmed or not fish farmed, something I might start asking thanks to your post, I also didn't know that Cyprus had high salt water content which then means less fish, it seems I am leaning a lot this morning.
Do you have any recommendations on the best place to buy fish that has been caught from the ocean and not farmed....thanks Max.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cherry345 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:33 am Thanks Max, I watched it to the end and it was really informative, and I have to say I did learn a lot, we eat fish a few times a week so now I am going to be looking at fish a little bit differently and will know what is going to do us the most good.
Thanks for posting the video, I will share it with a few friends as I am sure they will be interested as well.
I like this guy's videos a lot and found his website when looking for low carb/keto diet and more... (interesting also how to lower blood pressure with breathing technique, as it works for me)

https://www.youtube.com/user/drekberg/videos

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

So, healthy fish one can eat in Cyprus, if you follow that video are p.e. little sardines, red mullet etc., if they are fresh caught and not defrosted.
Also the bigger ones like barracuda (one of my favourite) or Sargus (white seabream) should be OK.

If you order fish mezze in Paphos district it is not possible to get the above mentioned ones as they are too rare and expensive and ca 20-25 different dishes for 22-25 Euro pp don't allow the tavern to make profit. Different story in high class restaurants (Nicosia,Limassol) but not for 25 Euro/pp.

Max
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Brilliant thanks Max, I did also enjoy some of the other video's that I will watch one by one, he really seems to know what he is talking about doesn't he....I totally forgot about how healthy sardines are so they have been added to my shopping list this week, I don't think I have ever had barracuda, so definitely will look out for that one.
On Friday afternoon we are going to the fish restaurant down by the water that you mentioned a while ago, I have been wanting to go for ages, so as we will be nearby on Friday we are popping in for lunch as we have to drop friends off at the airport....anyway thanks Max, you are a wealth of good information.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cherry345 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:41 am Brilliant thanks Max, I did also enjoy some of the other video's that I will watch one by one, he really seems to know what he is talking about doesn't he....I totally forgot about how healthy sardines are so they have been added to my shopping list this week, I don't think I have ever had barracuda, so definitely will look out for that one.
On Friday afternoon we are going to the fish restaurant down by the water that you mentioned a while ago, I have been wanting to go for ages, so as we will be nearby on Friday we are popping in for lunch as we have to drop friends off at the airport....anyway thanks Max, you are a wealth of good information.
When you go to eat there ask for Elena to show you the very fresh fish from this day, mentioning my name. You won't be disappointed. Just after 12AM they have usually their delivery from their boat... and I would reserve that fish if you are planning to go there later in the afternoon...

Max
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

That is good to know, we should be there about one so that will work out well lol....thanks Max, we will definitely mention your name.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cherry345 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:05 am That is good to know, we should be there about one so that will work out well lol....thanks Max, we will definitely mention your name.
If you like to drink a glass a wine with your fish I would recommend the locally produced Tsangarides white from their Lemona vinery, which is also available in small bottles ( in case of driving.... ;) )

Max
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Max what a fabulous place that is, the salad was amazing, the fish was amazing and so was the wine, the views were incredible, its definitely my favourite place to go now....did I mention the fish lol, just caught and the best....thanks again Max....oh and Elena says hi, she is lovely also.