Paphos court acquits Rottweiler owner of manslaughter

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Paphos court acquits Rottweiler owner of manslaughter

Post by Paphos Life »

The Paphos criminal court on Monday acquitted 28-year-old Marios Panayiotou of the manslaughter of Petrana Milchova Nikolova, who is believed to have been mauled to death by dogs on February 22, 2018 near Geroskipou....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Yioula

Re: Paphos court acquits Rottweiler owner of manslaughter

Post by Yioula »

Justice ?
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Are the Cypriot authorities capeable of doing DNA analysis to rule out Dogs for sure ? If it was dogs their DNA must have been all over her
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

From what I read there was no denying that dogs had been on the lady. The defence argued that the dogs had found her body, rather than killed her.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I would think because loss of life was involved that a proper investigation took place - but was the place where the man found the woman and quickly as possible got her to hospital the actual scene of the event - The newspaper reports and coverage of events leave a lot to the imagination in Cyprus
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You have to remember with the newspaper reports that they are being translated. I expect the Greek ones will be a bit more detailed.

No idea if they are or not, but they couldn't be any less vague.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I am left wondering whether had the poor woman concerned been a local Cypriot , would this case have been handled better? Was the police investigation thorough enough if the defence were able suggest that the poor lady wasn’t mauled by the dogs?
Has the owner of the dogs been prosecuted if these dogs were unlicensed?
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Read the article.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

A couple of weeks ago I was riding my bike on the farm tracks very close to where this happened. There were three Alsatians in an enclosed field. They were at the far end of the field quite a distance from me. As soon as they spotted me they came hurtling towards me. Luckily there was no way out of the field so I was safe, but I hate to think what would have happened had they been able to get out of the field.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:02 am I am left wondering whether had the poor woman concerned been a local Cypriot , would this case have been handled better? Was the police investigation thorough enough if the defence were able suggest that the poor lady wasn’t mauled by the dogs?
Has the owner of the dogs been prosecuted if these dogs were unlicensed?
Dee
Change the record, do you ever have a good word to say about Cyprus or the Cypriots? :roll:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This was a comment on the news site:

Why does nobody want to know what the lady president of the court(Rea Limnatitou) actually said in her judgement?Why the article is not referring to that?
Why do people jump in on the evidence of practically a headline with minimal referral to the proceedings snd evidence in court. (a lot of Greek Cypriots on other forums share the view that there is racism in the decision and at least that proves that not all GC are racists)
Corrupt system in every part of the legal system exists.But this is not the way to jump to the conclusion that a tragic case of a non-Greek woman was handled on the basis of racism or even misogyny.
The judge concluded that conjecture suggests that the position of the prosecution about guilt is plausible but they do not lead to certain guilt.
The prosecution had 24 witnesses, the defence had three
The defence lawyer Elias Stephanou accused the police of not telling the truth(ie tried to lie to convict his client).The judge said that they were shortcomings in the evidence of police but they were minor.
The judge said blood was found on the dog called Drakos belonging to the lady.But there was a possibility that the dog got it after the death.
The judge criticised the Cypriot pathologists conclusion that the woman was killed by machinery.Judge said she was killed by dogs but not conclusive evidence which dogs.
PS As for comments that if a Greek person was killed the verdict would have been different...Few years ago a five year old boy was killed by an Akita dog at a friend’s house.
It was an accident.No conviction I think.
Similar incidents every year in Britain-usually with kids as victims-result in suspended and minimal sentences for not looking after the dog properly.
IT IS POSSIBLE that there are brown envelopes involved, corruption etc. but I admire the certainty of those here about the guilt on the specific charges and their absolute belief in the judges racists motives...
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Thanks Dominic

I take it that this text was translated ? After reading through it three times to try and get my head around the statement it is still confusing – But one thing does stand out –
If a pathologist cannot tell the difference between machinery injuries and animal injuries then he is no good to the pathology department – So what happens to him ?
Nothing ? Its no wonder this case was not reported in detail and clearly so that the general public can fully understand what took place .
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Dominic and WHL,
I think that your comments about me were unjust. I am not the only one who found the statement both incomplete ( in as much as if it was a translation from the Greek) and confusing. It wasn’t clear what had happened. I also agree with Trans Am that a pathologist who can’t tell the difference between a mauling by dogs and an accident caused by agricultural machinery probably wasn’t very competent at his work.
It is also a factor that unfortunately women coming from 3rd countries to do agricultural work tend to be looked down on by many Cypriots.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What comment of mine was unjust?

I told you to read the article, because you were asking whether the owner was being prosecuted for unlicensed dogs.

From the article:

The court set a new date, December 17, to decide on the charge of unauthorised possession of dogs, to which the owner pleaded guilty.
jeba

Post by jeba »

How can anyone argue that the blood on the dogs might have gotten onto them after the woman was dead already when she died in the ambulance on the way to hospital? I doubt the paramedics took the dogs with them.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I think some of what is stated is down to mistranslation

The judge said blood was found on the dog called Drakos belonging to the lady.But there was a possibility that the dog got it after the death

Maybe it should have read

The judge said blood belonging to the lady was found on the dog Drakos but there was a possibility that the dog got it after the incident.

I don’t really know but translation can change a lot of perspectives on any statement