Beggers and scammers at Supermarkets

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Beggers and scammers at Supermarkets

Post by WHL »

I dont know if you have this problem over your side of the island, but in my local well known supermarket in Aradippou Larnaca, it was a big problem, not a day went by, when you were not pestered and harassed going into their store, I often complained to the staff, but just got the shrug, and the nothing we can do about it, a couple of weeks ago, whilst leaving the store a young Greek Gypsy guy followed me to my car, trying to sell me some fake watches, I politely told him I Wasn't interested and he was wasting his time, got into my car but he wouldnt step aside to let me leave, and then he started to demand cash from me, so I saw red, I jumped out of the car, and told him, if he didnt leave I would crack his F******** head in, Im a big guy and me shouting at him, had the desired effect, and he moved on, but I was so angry, that its only at this one chain store we get all this hassle, so on returning home, I went on their facebook page, and sent a message to their head office, complaining that they had a care of duty to their customers, not having to get hassled , and I would be putting a formal complaint to their HQ in Germany, if they ignored me....... I got a message the next day, apologising and saying something we get done....result for over a week now not one beggar or scammer in sight, so they will take action, but people need to complain.
trevnhil

Re: Beggers and scammers at Supermarkets

Post by trevnhil »

At the Paphos end of the Island we do of course get beggars and people trying to sell you things, usually windscreen wipers.
The beggars are usually just sat there at the entrance to a store, or near the trolley park probably hoping for the coin you use in the trolley. Occasionally a beggar will have musical instrument to draw your attention, but on the whole I don't find them intimidating.
We also have 'salesmen' trying to sell people windscreen wipers and they can be somewhat annoying. Mainly this is because they will not take your fist 'NO thank you' as being what you really mean.. But I have never bought off them yet and I don't think I ever will .
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:31 am At the Paphos end of the Island we do of course get beggars and people trying to sell you things, usually windscreen wipers.
The beggars are usually just sat there at the entrance to a store, or near the trolley park probably hoping for the coin you use in the trolley. Occasionally a beggar will have musical instrument to draw your attention, but on the whole I don't find them intimidating.
We also have 'salesmen' trying to sell people windscreen wipers and they can be somewhat annoying. Mainly this is because they will not take your fist 'NO thank you' as being what you really mean.. But I have never bought off them yet and I don't think I ever will .
Trev the ones sitting by the door dont bother me, as I just ignore them, because they are organised Greek Gypsies and not real down and outs, but when im followed to my car, and the guy wouldn't get out of the way, that is taking it to another level, very threatening and no one should encounter that when out shopping,
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They play the same tune. Over and over.

La de da de daa daa
daa de daa daa
daa de daa daa
la daa daa de daa de daa

But yes, companies tend to take more notice of complaints via social media these days. I think it is the visibility thing. A written letter cannot go viral.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:53 am They play the same tune. Over and over.

La de da de daa daa
daa de daa daa
daa de daa daa
la daa daa de daa de daa

But yes, companies tend to take more notice of complaints via social media these days. I think it is the visibility thing. A written letter cannot go viral.
Agree with you Dominic, I had spoken to the store managers several times, with out anything being done, but I think the threat of sending a complaint to the company s HQ in Germany, made them do something, as I said the more people who send in messages of complain then they will act on it,
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've never understood why people are quick to post criticism on forums and general facebook groups, yet don't post the criticism on the company's page.

Any company that is any good will want to know when mistakes are being made.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:06 am I've never understood why people are quick to post criticism on forums and general facebook groups, yet don't post the criticism on the company's page.

Any company that is any good will want to know when mistakes are being made.
Dominic I sent a private message on the companys face book page, and if I hadnt got a reply, I would of then sent a private message to the companys Germany HQ...

The same when people post on forums re subjects like Police matters/ bad parking etc, first send an email to the Police HQ etc, trust me they will take action...