City of Culture 2017

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Alewfin

City of Culture 2017

Post by Alewfin »

I saw on the BBC website of the celebrations in Hull as they kicked off their 2017 City of Culture Year with much exuberance and participation of their residents in the city all decked out for the occasion.

I'm assuming the same thing happened here because I couldn't make it so would be interested to know if anyone attended the (I suppose) many likewise celebrations.
geoffreys

Re: City of Culture 2017

Post by geoffreys »

Alewfin wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:21 am I saw on the BBC website of the celebrations in Hull as they kicked off their 2017 City of Culture Year with much exuberance and participation of their residents in the city all decked out for the occasion.

I'm assuming the same thing happened here because I couldn't make it so would be interested to know if anyone attended the (I suppose) many likewise celebrations.
My wife comes from Hull, and I have my own relatives there.
There is about as much culture in Hull as in Tower Hamlets in London.
What a laugh - anyway if it makes them some money from added tourists good luck to them.
Geoff.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Last edited by LouiseCastricum on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louise :)
Lynsab

Post by Lynsab »

It's been all the UK news media this morning with lots of photos...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... of-culture

Looks good to me...but like Geoff I haven't visited Hull for years either....it seems there's loads of culture....

Paphos is the European city of culture this year isnt it?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Paphos, now into being the European City of Culture 2017, is not ready! Lethargic working on the roads in and around the old town 'Ktima Paphos' started late, in March 2016. During the summer very little was done, it was too hot! More effort was applied from Sept- Oct onwards. But, now the winter rains are here ( much needed for the reservoirs) so a lot still to be done... Opening ceremony is scheduled for Jan 28, when many events are planned. But much of it will depend on the weather being dry! There are no decorations to the city as yet, though some unusual modern cultures are springing up in unusual places. There is also some wall painting. Fingers crossed to see if it will all come together in time. Dee
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I do hope so Dee!
Kennedy Square is nearly there and looking pretty good in my opinion but there is no way everything is going to be completed as maybe they have been a bit too ambitious?
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I was told that the improvements and extensive work in Paphos are in no way related to the long standing 'Capital of Culture'. The timing was just very unfortunate but the building works had to commence due to funding and other issues. Many people seem to link the two but they are not related and the work was never being done 'for' the Capital of Culture. It is being done for the future of the town and its residents.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
mdean2805

Post by mdean2805 »

If the fireworks and the initial events are anything to go by, the City of Culture year in Hull is going to be a success. I live a little distance from Hull and have been pleasantly surprised by the events that have been announced so far. The events of the first two day have been excellent. The whole point is that the city is trying hard to improve their image, attract more visitors and leave a lasting legacy. So far, so good. I would encourage anyone in the UK to give Hull a try. From what I can see they are definitely doing their best to make it a success and to make it worth visiting the city.

There have been similar problems in Hull to those in Paphos. Lots of improvement work around the City Centre. Complaints from local shopkeepers and customers about the mess. Buildings being improved which will not re-open until later in the year. People complaining that the money could be better spent elsewhere. It will be interesting to compare what Hull achieves compared to what Paphos achieves. I will be in a position to see both. So far, Hull seems to be doing a better job. I wonder if it will change.
Lynsab

Post by Lynsab »

It's a difficult comparison to make, Hull is not one of the UKs biggest cities either but has 256,000 residents, according to the latest figures available Paphos has approx 35,000, so the capital spend can't be as significant.

Nevertheless I always support the efforts of the region I live in, as it seems patriotic to do so...I did it in the village of Vrysoulles whenever they held an event and now I do so in mid Wales....if people can be bothered with their time effort and expense, then I surely will turn up to support it....

The area I live close to now is gentle tourism all year round ( even Christmas ) but once a year it explodes into massive tourism When we get approx 60,000 per day turn up.... :shock: I can't get by the traffic to buy a pint of milk....frightening......to hold such events anywhere, means a lot of people do a lot of work to entertain others...the money it makes is amazing and keeps local business alive all year.
smudger

Post by smudger »

"My wife comes from Hull, and I have my own relatives there.
There is about as much culture in Hull as in Tower Hamlets in London.
What a laugh - anyway if it makes them some money from added tourists good luck to them.
Geoff."

Hang your head in shame Geoff! I'm from Hull and it in no way compares to Tower Hamlets! How long since you lived/worked/visited there?

Hull abounds in culture, obviously totally lost on morons. Numerous Art galleries and theatres, concerts abounding, whaling industry museum , fishing industry museum along with the berthed trawler Arctic Warrior which is an eye opening tour for visitors, I know, I have done it , the museum of the Great Slave Abolisher William Wilberforce, a highly rated university with a world renowned library and which counts people like Philip Larkin amongst its alma mater, and a College, an old town abounding in history and historical buildings and churches, as well as the huge marina, the Trinity House School for prospective seafarers, not to mention myriad high class lawyer firms there...............Geoff you really need to get out more before you start slagging off cultures of which you clearly have no knowledge.
Last edited by smudger on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I understood that it was an substantial EU grant of circa €66M which Paphos was awarded when it won the competition to be the European City of Culture which was against Nicosia and Limassol. It is this money which appears to be behind all the projects for improvements to the town and buildings in Paphos,....
Unfortunately, the original plan to upgrade streets and squares in Ktima ran unto problems when it was discovered that the waste water pipes laid in the 50's had perished and broken. So most had to be replaced and the whole system improved before work could start on the streets. Remember how when ever there was much rain in Paphos the streets there used to flood?

Dee
Dee
keving

Post by keving »

Well, if the UK contributed say 10% to that cost of €66m no doubt the Quitters will be happy to save that money once we are out off the EU?
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

There was no such EU funding. The Cyprus government announced a long awaited overhaul of improvements for the Paphos region totalling 60m. This only partly tied in with the Capital of Culture as you can read in the following article http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/06/08/anast ... ing-money/

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

The Pafos2017 was not funded by the EU.
Louise :)