GPS who knows?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
darrow

GPS who knows?

Post by darrow »

Question for you knowledgeable folk out there! We have discovered that GPS stops at the mini roundabout in our village. The first time my son visited he had to phone me for directions because the sat nav couldn't find it! I forgot about it until yesterday when a florist had the same problem! What is the likely reason, and more importantly, what can be done about it? T I A. :roll:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: GPS who knows?

Post by Devil »

Probably because your GPS app doesn't have your street name in its list. If so, try a different GPS app.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Devil wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:43 am Probably because your GPS app doesn't have your street name in its list. If so, try a different GPS app.
Devil, its not my app! I know where i live. My sons sat nav and the florist, (two different apps?) ,neither could find it.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

As far as the GPS system is concerened your Street does not exist. That is my oppinion.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

This does happen for the reason stated. It also happened to me in the UK when trying to find a friends house in a village...I rang them for directions...

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This happens because most GPS Apps on mobiles use Garmin maps so if your road isn't on the Garmin map it wont show up on the phone Apps using their system.

Jim
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Absolutely correct – My previous Sat Nav had to be plugged into my laptop every couple of months to update and at a cost, this included newly built housing estates motorway alterations and ordinary new roads that had changed route or location – My very latest Garmin Sat Nav tells me by voice when there is an update available and advises that I should be stationary and not to switch off until download is complete and then to re-boot and it never leaves the vehicle – All very clever progress this is the free updates for life system
WHL

Post by WHL »

I have USA and Europe Garmin, free updates for life.... highly recommend.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Let us know what village it is and a few of us can check if it shows up on our GPS .

Is it on google maps or open street maps ?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/34.89975/32.33223
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

GPS doesn't actually rely on maps, it relies on satellite coordinates. So the GPS will be working fine. What won't be is the app that uses it. What you could try is instead of enterint the street name, enter the latitude and longitude.

You can get the lat and longitude of any location using google maps. once you have that information, try entering it as the address on your gps app. If that doesn't work, put the coordinates into this website:

http://boulter.com/gps/

This will give the same GPS position in a number of different formats. Try those.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Mrblobby wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:20 pm Let us know what village it is and a few of us can check if it shows up on our GPS .

Is it on google maps or open street maps ?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/34.89975/32.33223
Tremithousa. ΑΓΙΟΥ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΟΥ.
I was having a search around yesterday and found that it is on Google offline maps. Google say there haven't updated yet, Buildings here been up about 15 years.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Paphos Life has been adding data to Google Street View recently. It is a bit hit and miss because the Street View app is so tempramental as is the camera. However, we have also been meaning to do a blog about Tremithousa for some time, as it has lots of interesting nooks and crannies. When we are down taking photos for the blog I shall use the 360 camera to map the roads too. Then at least you will appear on Street View.

Incidentally, if there is a business nearby, or a feature? I can add new data to Google Maps and as a "Trusted Street View Professional" it gets added fairly quickly.

This is why Bear in the Air is now listed as an art exhibit on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bear+in ... e&ie=UTF-8
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We don't have a satnav in our car and have relied on Here Maps phone app to find our way around the back roads from our new home in UK since we moved back from Cyprus three years ago.
It does have blank spots though in certain areas and our lady suddenly loses her voice but as long as we continue we have realised that she picks us up again quickly enough once we're in another marked GPS location.

However, we recently went to Morocco and were staying in a riad in the middle of the medina of Marrakech amid the warren of narrow backstreets and alleyways, many of which are unnamed.
I found another app called Maps.me and we used it often to find our way around and certainly several times when we get ourselves blocked in dead end streets in the Kasbah district of the city.
The app also talks to you, allows you to save places and is perfect for driving too.
Once you have the map for the area/country it works offline so no need for data either.
We use it all the time now instead of Google maps or Here Maps.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
darrow

Post by darrow »

Dominic. There isn't a great deal in Tremithousa! The nearest to us is St Georges church, which is fairly impressive! The car park has an heli pad which is used at Christmas to bring presents for the children. There is an entertainment area where they hold soirees every now and then. The pub is "Ollie's bar" . All fairly near us.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Both the church and Ollie's Bar are listed on my Maps.me phone app. I saw them before I posted yesterday morning...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"