Paphos: Four hunters fined €14,000, fifth fined €150

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Paphos: Four hunters fined €14,000, fifth fined €150

Post by Paphos Life »

It said that at 5.30 am on Wednesday, members of the Game Service stopped two cars in Paphos forest for checks. Hunting is prohibited in Paphos forest....

Read the article and chat about it below...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Paphos: Four hunters fined €14,000, fifth fined €150

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Nice to read about the amount of money Game Service is nowadays charging, this hurts.... and it should. Hopefully it scares people away as the forests should really not used as "hunting areas". This time a year people like to go mushrooming in the forest and not be afraid to be shot from hunters...

In the past nobody really cared from the Game Service and specially Wednesdays, when I used to go for mushrooms, very often I saw hunters in the Argaka/Yialia/Ayia Marina forests and heared plenty of shots.

If the Authorities realize how much money they can collect, sure more controls will happen, but this goes in the right direction to scare hunters away from the forests.

Max
Last edited by cyprusmax47 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
memory man

Post by memory man »

good post max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

When I am out and about doing 360 photography I sometimes get confused as a hunter, because the camera is on the end of a selfie stick. I have been doing extensive shooting in the Archaeological Park recently, and recently emerged from a random thicket to find two security guards waiting for me. I quickly demonstrated that my long black stick was actually a camera. They told me to be careful of snakes in the area, and bid me on my way.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 am When I am out and about doing 360 photography I sometimes get confused as a hunter, because the camera is on the end of a selfie stick. I have been doing extensive shooting in the Archaeological Park recently, and recently emerged from a random thicket to find two security guards waiting for me. I quickly demonstrated that my long black stick was actually a camera. They told me to be careful of snakes in the area, and bid me on my way.
I wonder if you heard shots when you did recently your blog : https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/gialia-monastery

or recognized forestry cars around? This area was one of the hunter's favourite searching grounds in the past...

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I can't remember hearing any gunshots. There were forestry guys in a van though.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Well done the authorities, those fines will make people think long and hard, if only they hit bad motorists the same.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I am pleased that at last Hunters found in no hunting areas can expect to receive a substantial fine. In fact I hope that there will be enough manpower to police other no hunting areas as well and to fine thise hunters who habitually use them. The men who do this are an ill disciplined lot, who apart from being somewhere they shouldn’t have very little idea of gun safety.
I would like to see ‘Hunting’ as a sport more rigorously supervised to make it safer for both the hunter and for other members of the public who live or may be visiting a no hunting area. Also this type of action might reduce the number of birds and other animals who are
Injured or killed.

Dee
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Surely the big question is are the fines collected? I have read that that there is an administrative black hole between the authorities that fine and those that collect.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's one of the problems Cyprus has to deal with. Unpaid fines lead to court cases which then seem to get swallowed up into the system. The court system needs a complete overhaul as it is not fit for purpose.