How many lives would this save in Cyprus?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

How many lives would this save in Cyprus?

Post by Dominic »

https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/World ... 61521.html

By Amy Woodyatt, CNN
(CNN) -- The Australian state of New South Wales rolled out "high definition detection cameras" on Sunday, designed to catch drivers using cell phones behind the wheel.

Andrew Constance, New South Wales' Minister for Roads said the "world-first" technology would target illegal cell phone use through "fixed and mobile trailer-mounted cameras."

The cameras will use artificial intelligence to review images and detect illegal use of cell phones, according to Transport for NSW.

Images identified as being likely to contain a driver illegally using a call phone will then be verified by authorized personnel, authorities said, noting that images captured by the system would be "securely stored and managed."

Over the next three years, 45 portable cameras will be set up across the state, in unknown locations, and without warning signs, CNN affiliate Sky News Australia reported.

For the first three months, drivers caught out by the technology will receive a warning letter, Transport for New South Wales said in a statement, after which offenders will face a fine of up to $344, or $457 in a school zone, and penalty points on their drivers license.

"The NSW Government is serious about reducing our state's road toll and rolling out mobile phone detection cameras is another way we will do this," Andrew Constance, Minister for Roads said in a statement.

Officials said that a trial of the technology earlier in the year had caught more than 100,000 drivers illegally using a phone at the wheel.

Some 329 people have died this year on New South Wales' roads, Reuters news agency reported, compared with 354 people for all of 2018, according to official statistics.

The state wants to cut the number of road fatalities by 30% by 2021, Reuters said.

Making and receiving phone calls while driving is legal in New South Wales, but using hands-free technology. Other functions, including using social media, video calling, photography, playing audio while driving are only legal if a driver has parked their vehicle outside of traffic.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Re: How many lives would this save in Cyprus?

Post by WHL »

The poor machine would have a melt down here. :shock:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12 am playing audio while driving are only legal if a driver has parked their vehicle outside of traffic.
Can't have even background music? TUFF! :(
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

We will not see the making and receiving of hands-free calls being made illegal. Apple introduced a “Do Not Disturb” mode that will present a message such as “I am driving and have Do Not Disturb on. I’ll get your message when I arrive at my destination” which is the morally correct thing to do... but I’m afraid business has become too used to people being available all the time. I had car phones way before mobiles and have made and received calls ever since. At times I do put on the DND, but usually in city centres where I need 100% on the road and routes. I’d argue that someone eating a chocolate bar, drinking a juice, adjusting the radio and talking to kids, is as much a distraction.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Termites Dream wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm Not technically minded but can't motor manufacturers just put some kind of scrabbler system in the car attached to the engine management system so that no call can be made or received in the car while the engine is running. After 5 to 7 years problem gone.......or can this not be done?
I know this is a bit extreme, but what if someone needs to call the emergency services, but needs to keep on driving?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I have an in-built hands-free system (not an add-on). I rarely use it while driving but occasionally take a call. If I'm not in heavy traffic, no problem. If I see a snarl-up ahead or other distraction, I tell the guy at the other end to either hang fire for a few seconds or I'll call you back, depending on the size of what's happening. If I hang fire, I stop listening and talking to concentrate on the traffic. Seems to work safely. However, a) I have few friends and b) I don't let everyone know my mobile number, so I'm able to DIP (Drive In Peace), listening to Beethoven (which fades out when the phone is in use).
J B

Post by J B »

It always bemuses me that in the UK, it's perfectly legal to light and smoke a cigarette in a car, but not use a phone! :?
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well, when you are on the phone you are distracted. You are listening to somebody as well as holding the phone. You can easily drive with a cigarette in your hand too.

I quit over 10 years ago, so it is no skin off my nose. But I do know that it is far easier to light and smoke a fag while driving than have a conversation on your mobile.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Devil wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:30 pm I have an in-built hands-free system (not an add-on). I rarely use it while driving but occasionally take a call. If I'm not in heavy traffic, no problem. If I see a snarl-up ahead or other distraction, I tell the guy at the other end to either hang fire for a few seconds or I'll call you back, depending on the size of what's happening. If I hang fire, I stop listening and talking to concentrate on the traffic. Seems to work safely. However, a) I have few friends and b) I don't let everyone know my mobile number, so I'm able to DIP (Drive In Peace), listening to Beethoven (which fades out when the phone is in use).
A piece of music by Beethoven on the Song Chain tonight Devil :lol: :lol:
JimX

Post by JimX »

I have in our cars audio systems that have phone calling and answering, all hands free reasonably safe even on Cyprus. No need to hold anything except the steering wheel. :D
Jim.