No More Trips to the North ?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mike J

No More Trips to the North ?

Post by Mike J »

http://www.startribune.com/cyprus-to-ti ... 565538342/
So a Boris victory might curtail our trips to the Norths though a Corbyn one would mean such a run on the poor old £ sterling as well as a return to the 1970s restriction on taking sterling abroad that we couldn't afford to go anyway !! You takes your pick !!

Mike
WHL

Re: No More Trips to the North ?

Post by WHL »

I brought this up months ago, once out of the EU, there will be many changes for UK expats
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This is the key phrase:

"In a bid to stem illegal migration, Cyprus' interior minister, Constantinos Petrides, said Wednesday that any third-country nationals who enter the country through its breakaway northern third will not be permitted to enter the internationally recognized southern part."

Given that a resident visiting from the south will not be entering the country from the north, it won't affect them.

Presumably you would need to present your yellow slip.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

What would be the problem for someone with a residence permit (Yellow slip) flying into Ercan and then wishing to cross to the Republic? As far as I can see, not a problem.

It does however affect my visiting the north with my Filipino carer.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Why? You won't be entering the country from the North. You are already in the country.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Dominic wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:09 pm Why? You won't be entering the country from the North. You are already in the country.
It would affect the return trip back.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

But you won't have left the country. The way I read it it only applies if you arrive in the North and then cross to the South.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Dominic wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:09 pm Why? You won't be entering the country from the North. You are already in the country.
If you read the full report, you'll read that "Third-country nationals on temporary resident visas, like domestic workers, have also been banned from going north."

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/11/29/akel ... rd-border/
Last edited by mike strand2 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Wensbry wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:35 pm Flying to Turkey and returning to Ercan could potentially be a problem for some.
Why, who's to know where you've been when in the north? The Republic police on the green line crossing won't be asking what you did whilst in the north!
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:07 pm What would be the problem for someone with a residence permit (Yellow slip) flying into Ercan and then wishing to cross to the Republic? As far as I can see, not a problem.

It does however affect my visiting the north with my Filipino carer.
You would be entering Cyprus through an Illegal port of entry.. and as a non EU citizen, you will be refused entry into the republic.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

WHL wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 pm
mike strand2 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:07 pm What would be the problem for someone with a residence permit (Yellow slip) flying into Ercan and then wishing to cross to the Republic? As far as I can see, not a problem.

You would be entering Cyprus through an Illegal port of entry.. and as a non EU citizen, you will be refused entry into the republic.
I said "with a yellow slip*" & obviously a passport too. I don't believe immigration officials in Ercan put a stamp in passports.

* meaning they have a right to enter the Republic
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:54 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 pm

I said "with a yellow slip*" & obviously a passport too. I don't believe immigration officials in Ercan put a stamp in passports.

* meaning they have a right to enter the Republic
As a UK passport holder you will be classed as a non EU citizen, it dosnt matter if you have a yellow slip, you will only be allowed into Cyprus through a legal port....Paphos, larnaca or Limessol,
Varky

Post by Varky »

Whatever mikestrand2 and WHL say, I would not want to put arriving via Ercan to the test.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ha ha.... Me Neither :-)
Trev..