Why things sometimes don't work...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

Re: Why things sometimes don't work...

Post by JimX »

I had a similar problem with our fitted gas fire that should have been fan assisted, having called out the gas fire fitters they found a mouse dead in the fan unit jamming the fan, I felt sorry for the mouse, but it was me who paid for the fitters.
Jim.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Pff Lloyd, indeed, what a surprise that was.
Louise :)
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

JimX wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:03 am I had a similar problem with our fitted gas fire that should have been fan assisted, having called out the gas fire fitters they found a mouse dead in the fan unit jamming the fan, I felt sorry for the mouse, but it was me who paid for the fitters.
Attachments
DangerMouseTVtitle.jpg
DangerMouseTVtitle.jpg (10.65 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
skeleton.jpg
skeleton.jpg (17.17 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
JimX

Post by JimX »

:lol:
Jim.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Many years ago, my late husband decided to see if he could repair the electrics on the washing machine, as certain programmes no longer worked. He removed the top cover to expose a mouse, electrocuted across the circuit board. Once the mouse was removed, the machine worked properly again.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
daveg

Post by daveg »

On the same topic....lost electricity to the Villa, eventually found a crisped lizard fried across two of the phases in the Meter box......SMOKING...!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Had a similar thing in 1952; a baked chameleon on the 5 kV tank circuit of a powerful transmitter. The transmitter didn't fail immediately until the anode of the output valve overheated and the glass melted and was sucked in by the vacuum. I didn't see it happen but I discovered the results including the charred reptile.
kansas

Post by kansas »

We have a non-return flap fitted on the outside wall at the end of the pipe from the extractor. We covered the inside of this with steel mesh to prevent insects from getting in and it's worked a treat. OH has just removed the extractor before fitting a new one and there's no sign of creepy crawlies.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

kansas wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:03 pm We have a non-return flap fitted on the outside wall at the end of the pipe from the extractor. We covered the inside of this with steel mesh to prevent insects from getting in and it's worked a treat. OH has just removed the extractor before fitting a new one and there's no sign of creepy crawlies.
The insect screen could cause the fan to overheat & not work as designed, so be careful.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks for the tip Mike, but the wire mesh is part of the non return flap on the outside wall and at least 5 metres away from the fan. No problem in 15 years but can see your point. We've just decided we want a quieter extractor.