Free healthcare comes at a price

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
boycott

Re: Free healthcare comes at a price

Post by boycott »

Thank you Galexinda.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

boycott wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:03 am Trev and/or Austin can you copy paste the contents of that email if possible please?
Here is the letter I received .
Attachments
D8E3ECD7-487B-4442-AAC9-546BFA71EBF3.jpeg
D8E3ECD7-487B-4442-AAC9-546BFA71EBF3.jpeg (121.27 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
boycott

Post by boycott »

Thank you Mr Blobby
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Varky wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:09 am WHL,
Simple answer is that UK state pensioners in Cyprus get a contribution to their local medical expenses direct from the UK government. Whether this will continue for any great length of time after brexit, who knows.
''Regarding the continued validity of the S1 form, the Cypriot government have made a positive announcement. People with S1 certificates will be able to access the same healthcare cover as they currently enjoy for an interim period of several months. At the end of the interim period (the precise length will need be confirmed soon) UK and Cyprus will seek a longer-term bilateral agreement to secure reciprocal healthcare cover for Britons in Cyprus and Cypriots in the UK”.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

My wife receives a Cypriot Pension for the years she worked here and hers is taxed at source.
We also have the S1 form/ letter as above for our UK state pensions.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

bromerzz wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:07 pm My wife receives a Cypriot Pension for the years she worked here and hers is taxed at source.
We also have the S1 form/ letter as above for our UK state pensions.
Always better if someone who is a participant makes a comment rather than my references to various articles.

Thank you.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Some UK expat pensioners applied for GESY with a MEU3 and were not asked to provide confirmation of a S1. How can they get an exemption certificate, I wonder?
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Polly wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:43 am Some UK expat pensioners applied for GESY with a MEU3 and were not asked to provide confirmation of a S1. How can they get an exemption certificate, I wonder?
Details here .

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9955&hilit=Exemption
JimX

Post by JimX »

The GHS system or Gesy..

Per the new Gesy laws, the first phase of introduction, which will come into force on March 1, 2019, will include out-of-hospital care, with wage-earners, pensioners, income-earners, and state officials contributing 1.7 per cent of their income, employers 1.85 per cent, the state 1.65 per cent, and the self-employed 2.55 per cent.

The second phase, which will come into force on March 1, 2020, will introduce hospital treatment, until full implementation of Gesy three months later, with wage-earners, pensioners, income-earners, and state officials contributing 2.65 per cent of their income, employers 2.9 per cent, the state 4.7 per cent, and the self-employed 4 per cent.

Co-payments are capped at a maximum €300 per year for patients and €75 per year for low-pension earners and recipients of the government’s Guaranteed Minimum Income.

It is not compulsory to join this new system, but any medical treatment will have to be paid for out of your funds.

Keep well.
Jim.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The maths of this are easy .

Income from pensions say 14,000€ - 2.65% = 397.5 to pay to Gesy . I realise some have higher income.

U.K. pensioners with S1 , the U.K. pays to Cyprus about 2000€ per year , hence why we are exempt from paying 2.65% .

It is hard to find out exactly how much the U.K. pays to Cyprus , I would love to know ?

190,000 British pensioners live elsewhere in the EU and the Department of Health pays around £500m to other countries to cover their care costs. £500m divided by 190,000 = £2,631 , but I think different amounts are paid to each country ?
Last edited by Mrblobby on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thank yoiu Mrblobby

Like the poster in the link I am not sure if it applies to everyone with a S1 if it wasn't submitted with GESY application. Certainly worth a try though.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Polly, I suggest you send the application for S1 exemption letter to: Mrs Tasoula Michael (tmichael@papd.mof.gov.cy) with an attachment of your S1 form. She will then be able to look at your situation and hopefully go ahead and issue the exemption letter without further ado.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thank you Galexinda.

I'm not actually asking for myself, but will share the information.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

I have always been told that if you receive a U.K. state pension AND a Cypriot pension , living in Cyprus you cannot be issued the a S.1.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

My wife does receive both and with an S.1.and we live in Cyprus.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Mrblobby wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:12 am
boycott wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:03 am Trev and/or Austin can you copy paste the contents of that email if possible please?
Here is the letter I received .
People should note the caveat at the bottom of that letter!

Quote - "NOTE: The above condition may be varied at any time without any further notice."
Attachments
MoH Letter re SI & GESY.jpg
MoH Letter re SI & GESY.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Does anyone know if you reach your limit of maximum annual co payment what happens after that?
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Varky

Post by Varky »

Sadie,
I would suggest that you stop paying for any further treatment. Just a guess.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Sadie wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:20 am Does anyone know if you reach your limit of maximum annual co payment what happens after that?
From the GESY website:

''The maximum annual amount of co-payments will be € 75 for the recipients of the Guaranteed Minimum Income, the low- income pensioners and children up to the age of 21, and € 150 for the rest of the population''.

As Varky says above if the limit is reached in any year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) then there are no further payments during that year.