Glasses...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Glasses...

Post by trevnhil »

I have had PM's that I have replied to about what went wrong in our experience..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:31 am We use Elean and are very happy with Arestis down at the harbour.

I am not only a friend of Mr. Arestis, owner of Elean shops, but also customer since more than 10 years. I had countless eye tests with him and his recommendations where to treat my eye problems (cataracts) were priceless. Every time I got a excellent deal after a coffee and a talk....

By the way: Elean is one of the sponsors here on PaphosLife and without sponsors it would be very difficult for Dominic to run his sites so successful, spending most of his time on many subjects which are interesting and informative for all of us...

Max
Last edited by cyprusmax47 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The thing is, with a big enough user base, every business will have good stories and bad stories.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
memory man

Post by memory man »

I always thought that Alex ( in the other shop on Poseidonos Ave )
was the owner. :?
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Just had both lenses changed/updated.

Varifocals, plus Reactolites ( photochromic) - €130

The Reactolites have been improved by the manufacturer, so that they go from 100% transmission to very very dark

At Elean, Kennedy Square
CL
J B

Post by J B »

Cactuslil wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 am We always used George’s Optical & did so even when visiting on holiday but as Jim says the prices have gone up considerably over here. We now go to Specsavers when in UK. Excellent service & about a third or more cheaper.
We have used George for 20 (?) years - Mrs B went to Specsavers but had to take the glasses in to George as S/S couldn't get her prescription right! :roll:
J B
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

As you know, I'm in UK so my opticians is local to me and is Specsavers where I get the 2 for 1 offer on a yearly basis if my specs need to be rejigged.

However, I did sign up through Glasses Direct following their advertising last year with their "2 pairs from £19" and "2 Designer pairs from £39" promotional offer.

After going through the whole shebang with my prescription - they ended up more expensive than the 2 pairs offer I get from Specsavers.

Emails deleted and Unsubscribed - especially as they bombard you with emails every few days.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Sent you a PM, Trev
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

We use an ophthalmologist to have our eyes checked from time to time. We then take his prescription to the optician. Abstracting the frames, nothing can go wrong provided the lens is correctly centred, which, in most cases, is a simple given. Most often, the optician on the street does absolutely nothing other than the commercial side and appearing to look competent.

What is not always appreciated is that eyes do change, often in less than a year sometimes, this is spontaneous but it can be due to changes in lifestyle producing small variations in the facial morphology. Of course, it is the optician who gets blamed after the wearer has been on a diet for a few months.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Since my recommendation and another bad experience we have now moved to Centroptical (opposite the Annabelle). We took our existing antiscratch and photocromatic lenses to them for a second opinion without telling him of the issues and needless to say they were very poor quality lenses. Whilst I understand that eyes change over a period we had them tested again And were told that we needed a completely different prescription (possibly to get us to spend more money?) So we tried Centroptical on a recommendation from a friend who’s been using them for 12 years and the new prescription from Centroptical was similar to the existing one. So needless to say we got them from there with 3 days. Ironically, his price (with locals discount) was similar to other cheaper place. He also manufactures the lenses in his own laboratory upstairs from the shop.
memory man

Post by memory man »

I wonder if the name of the optician " ELEAN " is an
anagram of the owner's name. ie. ELENA.

https://cyprusinstyle.com/2019/12/16/el ... -magazine/
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

memory man wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:35 pm I wonder if the name of the optician " ELEAN " is an
anagram of the owner's name. ie. ELENA.

https://cyprusinstyle.com/2019/12/16/el ... -magazine/
Could be MM. The listed directors are
ELENA VLOTOMA
ANTRI VLOTOMA
ARESTIS SOKRATOUS
EFTHYVOULOS VLOTOMAS
ALEXIS VLOTOMAS
Boxsterann

Post by Boxsterann »

I have to agree Arestis at Elean is the best choice. We’ve been using him since mid 1980s and have no complaints whatsoever.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There will always be genuine cases where the firms mentioned above give bad service and wrong diagnosis.. It has happened to both my wife and myself. We tried the recommended firm and they failed badly.. We have moved to a different optician now, and may yet move again..
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Same here Trev. Both me and my wife had the same thing happen. In fact my wife's specs were completely the wrong prescription, and she returned them and refused to pay. Just a shrug of the shoulders was the reply. Shall also be trying other optician in the future.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The thing is that on a forum you are limited (rightly so) in what you can say and about which firms, if you have had a bad experience. No one wants to be prosecuted, so you have to find out by trial and error or by chatting on the message system..
I have already had a few messages about this subject..
Trev..
kansas

Post by kansas »

There will be good and bad experiences in most places, but if they're prepared to put it right that's fine in my book. I have had a couple of problems with Elean in the 16 years we've been going to the shop in the old town, but they have been put right without question and in one case I was given free prescription reading glasses for the inconvenience. On the two occasions it happened I wonder if I may have inadvertently given the wrong response on the eye test as I know this can happen. They still have our confidence and our custom.