Vet condemns illegal neutering of strays

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Vet condemns illegal neutering of strays

Post by Paphos Life »

Veterinarian Andreas Artemiou on Tuesday condemned the illegal neutering of stray animals by students and animal welfare organisations calling these procedures "unacceptable".Artemiou, who is president of the Cyprus Veterinary Council, told Radio Active that some people believe that their "feelings for the strays" allow them "to do what they want"....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Varky

Re: Vet condemns illegal neutering of strays

Post by Varky »

All very well but what does he actually propose to solve the problem of feral cats reproducing. I understand that there is a limited government scheme for neutering such cats but one has to catch your cat first and then get a form filled in by the local mukhtar.

It is also possible that the scheme has now been discontinued.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was wondering that myself.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

So, what is his solution to the animal problems here? It's all well and good him bitching about others doing something but what is he achieving? I offer daily thanks to the animal charities and private individuals who do an incredible job here with little resources.
WHL

Post by WHL »

It might be the fact others are taking work from his lot, anyone who is neutering strays, is doing good work in my opinion
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree and I think that the well known charity who do this service would be using final year vetinary students working under the supervision of their vet. They perform a very worthwhile service neutering strays.
Trouble is that many locals have this deep seated aversion to neutering any animal. They just don’t seem to care about the welfare of these animals. The poor misshapen bitches and female cats who have unwanted litters of puppies and kittens each year.
Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

mouse wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:31 pm The fact of neutering feral animals is a good thing is not in question, the competence of untrained or part trained people and use of the correct drugs to prevent pain and suffering. Obviously this vet feels the standard of work is too low. Looking at the way the world population is rising neutering of people might be a good idea too !
So, instead of just complaining, why doesn't he come up with an acceptable proposal. It's easy to criticise, but difficult to come up with an answer.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Does this chap have any concrete proof to support his statement

What’s is illegal neutering of stray ??

People who work tirelessly for rescue centres and veterinary students would they actually place the animal they rescue under duress !! I would imagine the welfare of the animal is first and foremost
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I feel sure that the charity places the welfare of the animals in its highest priority.
Their surgery may not be as up to date as a private vet’s, but they are a charity and have to operate the best way they can. They have an operating theatre which will be very clean.
The private Vets don’t usually do these operations for strays as they are in it for the money..
It’s a pity that some local people who are pet owners don’t in many cases, either register their dogs,Vaccinate them or pay for their dog’s licenses. Or have them neutered unless they actually intend to breed from them and sell the puppies on to responsible new owners.

Dee