Don't park in disabled spots, police warn able-bodied drivers

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Don't park in disabled spots, police warn able-bodied drivers

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:17 pm I had a disabled wheelchair user staying with me a while ago and I, of course, do not have a badge. When shopping with her I didn't think twice about parking in a disabled slot, was I wrong to do that?
Not at all you had a legit reason to use the bay, that is what they are there for.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

They are often equipped with a sign 'badge holders only' or equivalent. IMHO, moot point at the discretion of the warden/cop. What is not legal is the sticker with a wheelchair on the windscreen with a perfectly able person(s) in the car or, for that matter, a blue badge without the beneficiary (photo and sig).
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I think that you do need to have a badge which proves that you are disabled, otherwise one’s back to the scenario where any Tom, Dick or Harry, sorry I mean any Costas, Andreas or Michaelis could park there....
When I fractured my knee cap last summer and was hobbling on a zimmer frame or stick we never parked in a disabled space, even though I would have appreciated being able to use one, because I didn’t have a badge... and was just temporarily disabled.
Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

Devil wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:44 am
Varky wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:40 am I always thought that the disabled parking spaces were meant only for those disabled persons that had a physical mobility problem. I am happy to be contradicted.
Not at all. Some mental problems also qualify and remember that passengers, as well as drivers, can qualify. And what about those whose disability is not obvious? E.g., I can walk fairly normally a few metres to a shop from my driving position, but after 10 or 15 m, unaided, my fractured spine gives way (supermarket trolleys are good support for me!).
What you describe are physical mobility problems even for travelling disabled passengers. Not sure about mental problems though. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this.
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:23 pm
Austin7 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:17 pm I had a disabled wheelchair user staying with me a while ago and I, of course, do not have a badge. When shopping with her I didn't think twice about parking in a disabled slot, was I wrong to do that?
Not at all you had a legit reason to use the bay, that is what they are there for.
Not sure that would fly with the police here in Cyprus. However I would have thought that there should be some reciprocity with disabled badges from other countries for visitors.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Varky wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:05 pm However I would have thought that there should be some reciprocity with disabled badges from other countries for visitors.
There is within the EU. However, after Brexit? Goodness knows whether reciprocity agreements will continue. :evil: :evil:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It will be up to the Cyprus government to decide if badges from non EU countries will be acceptable..
Or, maybe they already are ??
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:57 pm It will be up to the Cyprus government to decide if badges from non EU countries will be acceptable..
Or, maybe they already are ??
Not sure of that. The EU, as a whole, may or may not reciprocate. The badges of EU countries have the EU flag on them.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:31 pm Yes I would think you do have to have a badge, so that you can you prove that you have disability of some sort..
Trev, in the U.K. at least, the badge is for the person, not the vehicle so it can be used with whoever they travel with.

Ian
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I thought it was here Ian. Certainly My FIL used his badge in his car and in ours if he was travelling with us
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I have referred to this site in the past:
https://cyprusdriving.net/disabled-park ... lue-badge/

With a section for visitors:
http://cyprusdriving.net/visitors-disab ... e-permits/
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:14 pm I have heard other people with walking difficulties say that supermarket trolleys provide some good support.
Spot on Trevor. That’s what my Mum (now 86) does. We get her to the disabled bay, I get two trolleys and then she walks around the supermarket as much as she is able to until her knees are too sore, using the trolley like the walker she uses around the house. When’s she’s here she loves a trip to Jumbo but that’s a wheelchair job, the two escalators are fun!

Ian
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The walk around the Jumbo store, is a long one
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But it seems like most people that use the (near to the shop) disabled spaces don't display a badge
Trev..
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Same in the UK Trev – walked down the path at Sainsburys this morning between two rows of 4 bays and looked very closely at all of the cars parked there and not a windscreen sticker or dashboard badge in sight in any of the eight vehicles However one did have a wheelchair in view in the rear which seemed a bit odd as the occupant was no where to be seen but maybe an able bodied person driving who has a disabled partner who knows – But no badges
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:15 pm The walk around the Jumbo store, is a long one
Yes. IKEA too :!: :roll:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

They both work on the same principle. You have to walk all around the isles in the whole store to get to the exit
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The last time I was in Ikea, I explained to the girl in the entrance hall that I was disabled. She took me straight to the department I wanted, through private (fire) doors. The same happened on the way out, except that there is still a longish walk past the storage area.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

When I came to Cyprus recently to visit family, I brought my blue badge with me, my Son and Daughter-In-Law used it in their car. No problems at all.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.