Paphos Immigration Office - Appointment Only

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Sheer Khan

Re: Paphos Immigration Office - Appointment Only

Post by Sheer Khan »

I will say again we used an agent and received no preferential treatment, we got there early already several people were there we were then in a queue along with every body else, we went when it was our turn and not before, the agent then dealt with the actual interview, and 7 months later we still have not received the MEU3, the agent tells us could be another 6 months.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Out of interest, is the fee paid to the agent before the interview, after the interview or when you receive the MEU3 document?
Varky

Post by Varky »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 am
Varky wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:17 am Varky, it all depends what value you place on your time and the stress which clearly some have been put under.
For 18 months I went through what Tremigirl is going through when I tried to secure my wife's, and then my, Cyprus State pension. In the latter case I failed completely. The agent I engaged got my pension paid plus rebate of arrears within two weeks. More than happy to pay his modest fee.
Subtle difference in getting an agent to facilitate something you are entitled to and does not inconvenience other applicants and using an agent, in effect, to disadvantage others trying to get the same service. But if you are prepared to throw money at the problem .......hey ho.
You make it sound as if it is antisocial behaviour to use an official agent. And surely it is not to disadvantage others.
Judge for yourself if you consider it to be anti-social behaviour and it certainly does disadvantage others waiting patiently in a queue with a numbered slip and when closing time at the immigration office arrives and everyone is told to come back tomorrow because agents have 'jumped the queue' and fully engaged the workers to the detriment of others waiting. Still....money talks.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Sheer Khan wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 am I will say again we used an agent and received no preferential treatment, we got there early already several people were there we were then in a queue along with every body else, we went when it was our turn and not before, the agent then dealt with the actual interview.
That's how it should happen if you are using an agent, but in my experience it does not happen like that
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Is there such a thing as an official agent? My only problem with agents is if they are using bribery to queue-jump. In that instance, using the agent is certainly antisocial behaviour, and it disadvantages people who try and get it done through legitimate means.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I sense an air of frustration here. Firstly, this is not the UK! Secondly, here in Cyprus Govt Depts staffed by (un)civil servants, sometimes, tend to do things their own way... Immigration is a law unto itself. It has to be said that they are deluged with work now and for the last year. Personally a good agent can save one a lot of heartache, I know this from 20 years of living here.
I think that a good agent is worthwhile when your case may be difficult. They know exactly what documents you actually need, from the list you get, and how to prepare them to make scrutiny by Immigration quick and easy. In my case when my MEU3 had been issued but got lost we think in the post, they managed to get immigration Nicosia and Paphos to reissue it. Saved me a lot of running around!
Whether you use one or not is a personal decision, but they are accepted here and don’t operate illegally. Gwenny has run her business here successfully for over 20yrs and must have helped thousands of people in that time of various nationalities.
Dee
Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

kili01'

In certain situations, like the one you describe, agents can be a good thing and grease the wheels of administration, but........
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:12 am
Varky wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 amBut if you are prepared to throw money at the problem .......hey ho.
While others choose to "throw money" smoking fags, on excessive drinking, buying a new car every few years, etc, etc....I hope I may be permitted this very small luxury ;)
Do you really think that response is relevant or just going off at a tangent?
emgee

Post by emgee »

For the past many years, why did no-one at any hospital in Pafos ask me and my late wife for a MEU 1?

Alan
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Because you had medical card, which you probably got with an S1/ e121 form from the UK the same as we did
Trev..
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Having been frustrated on two previous attempts to get an MEU(3) previously, my friend went to seek help from Gwenny this morning. Apoointments at Immigration now being made towards end of January, beginning of February 2020.
carl01

Post by carl01 »

Anybody know where I can find an agent to help an acquaintance get an MEU1? I'm aware of the pros and cons of agents, but where can I actually contact one? Anybody know an agent they would recommend?
Thanks for any help.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Gwenny's Red Tape Serviced would be able to help you

http://www.paphosliving.com/
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

I had no problems at all, got the form filled it in to the letter, made an appointment we were seen on time although the room was full of applicants mostly with agents, we had the interview and our photos taken then back home within an hour, no agents used nor will I ever.

The new MEU3's arrived three weeks later. Something must have changed in the Immigration office because we found them very helpful and happy to serve us.
Jim.
carl01

Post by carl01 »

Thanks Trev
WHL

Post by WHL »

JimX wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:26 am I had no problems at all, got the form filled it in to the letter, made an appointment we were seen on time although the room was full of applicants mostly with agents, we had the interview and our photos taken then back home within an hour, no agents used nor will I ever.

The new MEU3's arrived three weeks later. Something must have changed in the Immigration office because we found them very helpful and happy to serve us.
How does this help the person , whos question was how do I find an agent?
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL,
It doesn't because if you care to read the title of the thread it does not refer to agents. That came along later.
Last edited by Varky on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:58 am
JimX wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:26 am I had no problems at all, got the form filled it in to the letter, made an appointment we were seen on time although the room was full of applicants mostly with agents, we had the interview and our photos taken then back home within an hour, no agents used nor will I ever.

Pointing out that you don't need an agent will help the person. You don't need an agent.

Sorry, but I think agents are part of the problem in most cases, not the solution. This is on the assumption that they queue-jump by offering bribes to officials. If they do not do this, and do nothing outside the law, then fair enough. There is nothing wrong with them. I have yet to have had this position confirmed one way or the other though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:30 am
WHL wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:58 am

Pointing out that you don't need an agent will help the person. You don't need an agent.

Sorry, but I think agents are part of the problem in most cases, not the solution. This is on the assumption that they queue-jump by offering bribes to officials. If they do not do this, and do nothing outside the law, then fair enough. There is nothing wrong with them. I have yet to have had this position confirmed one way or the other though.
Dominic, the poster said in their post, that they knew the pros and cons of using an agent, and just want a contact.

Anybody know where I can find an agent to help an acquaintance get an MEU1? I'm aware of the pros and cons of agents, but where can I actually contact one? Anybody know an agent they would recommend?
Thanks for any help.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And that is why I replied with just a contact for an agent, and no personal opinion ..
Trev..