Green light for new study on combined Paphos marina cruise hub

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Green light for new study on combined Paphos marina cruise hub

Post by Paphos Life »

The cabinet gave the green light on Friday for a new study which will determine if a marina in Paphos will be combined with a cruise ship infrastructure.Following the meeting, Deputy Tourism Minister Savvas Perdios said the official announcement for the tender to prepare the study would be made in the next two to three weeks....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Green light for new study on combined Paphos marina cruise hub

Post by Dominic »

Round, like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

So on and on it goes. Will there ever be a Marina? I hope so but who can tell.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

I cant see it ever happening, as the Limassol port is only half an hour away.
J B

Post by J B »

WHL wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:16 am I cant see it ever happening, as the Limassol port is only half an hour away.
Well, all the developers told us it was on the cards ....... in 1999!!!!!!!!! :lol:
J B
daveg

Post by daveg »

Don't be so harsh.......The water is in place 😆😆
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:32 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:16 amI cant see it ever happening, as the Limassol port is only half an hour away.
You're a faster man than I WHL. I live well on the east side of Paphos and if I were going to the new marina in Limassol (as opposed to the old Port), I would be allowing an hour. From where the proposed new marina is in Chloraka, it will be 1.5 hrs between the two. The Port in Paphos is heaving with boats, so I would say a purpose-designed marina in Paphos will be well received by the boating fraternity - especially the nouvea riche setting up home in the area :lol:
Apology's Its a while since I visited Paphos, my comments were more for the Cruise liners, rather then for private yachts,
I just cant see how building a port for cruise liners will be financially viable, with the port in Limassol all ready there, one other thing to consider is the servicing of these liners, usualy when ever they are in port, they take the opportunity to fill up with stocks, with many many lorry loads required, be it food/fuel etc, it makes far more economic sense for this to take place in limassol.. also limassol is nearer to Larnaca international airport, a consideration, for incoming cruise passengers.
J B

Post by J B »

daveg wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:41 am Don't be so harsh.......The water is in place 😆😆
:lol: :lol: :lol:
J B
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

WHL many cruise ships anchor off Paphos harbour and ferry there passengers ashore. As I type this there is a Cruise Ship anchored off Paphos harbour now. It has been there all day. So a marina with a Quay for Cruise Ships would be most welcome.
All things are possible
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Ship anchored off Paphos is the Europa, a 5* plus ship whose passengers pay a great deal. Having a dock where cruises could dock and free buses to and from the old town would be bring in much revenue. Paphos has a lot going for it.
When we dock at Limassol, a lot of people do not even get off the ship because of the distance between the port and the town. Plus the rip off taxi fares and lack of knowledge about the bus service. We once saw a family being told by a taxi driver that their hire car that they had booked could not pick them up at the port as they were not allowed and she would take them to their hotel and arrange for their hire car to be delivered there. We told them that their hire car was probably in the car park near the ship, which it was.
The Europa had previously been in Ashdod but I was told could not dock there because of rockets being fired from Gaza.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:18 pm WHL many cruise ships anchor off Paphos harbour and ferry there passengers ashore. As I type this there is a Cruise Ship anchored off Paphos harbour now. It has been there all day. So a marina with a Quay for Cruise Ships would be most welcome.
Dont get me wrong im not against , the idea of cruise ships mooring in Paphos, I just can't see any one stumping up the dosh for it to be build.
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Whilst not against cruise ships per se I think that having a dock in Paphos or Potomas Bay i.e. the planned marina, would overwhelm what is quite a small town (and I accept that there are a lot of small islands that have cruise ships docking). Let them come ashore by tender as at present and there is a trickle of people that the town can absorb. Let them dock and thousands descend at the same time and it would be heading for chaos.

Think of Potomas Bay with a dual carriageway round it to service the coaches, supply trucks etc. Think of Paphos harbour with parking for twenty or thirty coaches and then the line of coaches snaking out of the dock.

Let Limassol keep them.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I doubt if any major development will take place in Paphos harbour or its environs. That area is part of a World Heritage site, so is protected. Gereskipou coast would be a better place for a marina as it is close to Paphos and can be easily reached. It has a long sandy/shingle beach, But that area seems likely to be full of high density development, such as Eden City.
Potamos Bay site will be a very expensive site to develop and as it is too far from Paphos really and major roadworks are needed to dual the present Coral Bay Rd which is already very busy without the marina project.. What is there to do locally in Coral Bay itself for thousands of cruise passangers? They will need to be bussed elsewhere.
Surely, the present well tried system of using tenders to bring cruise passengers ashore mainly to visit the Mosaics at the nearby old Roman Villas in the Archaeological Park is the best way.
As others have said, Limassol with its new cruise terminal is the obvious place for cruise ships to go, plus it has all the facilities in place..
I agree with Mighty Sprites sensible post.

Dee
Last edited by Kili01 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Most cruise terminals, you walk off the ship. At Kusadasi, you walk through a shopping centre and Marina and the coaches for excursions are well away from the ship. There is a bus station near the harbour which could be used for the coaches for cruise excursions. A few thousand cruise passengers are easily absorbed by a town. We have docked at Katakolon and Mykonos with three or four cruise ships in port and the towns were not overrun by people.
Yesterdays cruise arrival was probably an unscheduled one, as the ship was supposed to be in Ashdod. Passengers, quite rich Germans and the theme of the cruise was Golf. Today it is docked in Limassol and probably there are excursions to golf courses.
The shops in the old town could certainly do with an influx of cruise passengers.
Ships could stop at both Limassol and Paphos. Limassol for Kurium and Troodos and for servicing the ships and Paphos for the Mosaics and Tomb of the Kings, plus being an attractive harbour.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, an interesting post John.You are right that the old town could do with more foot fall to the shops ...and more shops! But I suspect that more cruise passengers would probably gravitate to the Mall, which is both nearer and in summer is air conditioned!

As to additional parking near the harbour, in summer the huge car park by the archaeological site is full of cars, and the bus park is the terminus for scheduled local busses!
So a long line of waiting cruise busses would cause travel chaos!
Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

About six years ago I was living for a few months in Agios Nikolaos in Crete which is smaller than Paphos and it had a jetty to accommodate the cruise ships. A popular destination which coped very well with the influx of passengers and coaches. The restaurants, coffee shops and bars around the harbour area were rarely frequented by the passengers who either returned to the ship for refreshments and meals or went on the organised coach trips.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Mighty Sprite wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:33 am Whilst not against cruise ships per se I think that having a dock in Paphos or Potomas Bay i.e. the planned marina, would overwhelm what is quite a small town (and I accept that there are a lot of small islands that have cruise ships docking). Let them come ashore by tender as at present and there is a trickle of people that the town can absorb. Let them dock and thousands descend at the same time and it would be heading for chaos.

Think of Potomas Bay with a dual carriageway round it to service the coaches, supply trucks etc. Think of Paphos harbour with parking for twenty or thirty coaches and then the line of coaches snaking out of the dock.

Let Limassol keep them.
Ive got a family member who has a mooring at the Limassol, marina who pays north of 18 grand a year just to pak up. :shock:
WHL

Post by WHL »

We do a lot of cruises, and most passengers will not dine in local restaurants, disembarkation is after breakfast, so everyone is full up, a stroll round the harbour, coffee and back on the ship for lunch, cruise ships make a big part of their revenue from excursions, the further away and longer the better , they can charge more, so the mountain villages, Larnaca, Nicosia shop owners will see more revenue then the local Pafos ones will
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

But surely boats will stop at Paphos rather than Limassol because of the mosaics. IE, if they are landing at Paphos they have that in mind as a tourist destination.
And Tomb of the Kings etc. If they want trips to Troodos it would make more sense to dock at Limassol.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:29 pm But surely boats will stop at Paphos rather than Limassol because of the mosaics. IE, if they are landing at Paphos they have that in mind as a tourist destination.
And Tomb of the Kings etc. If they want trips to Troodos it would make more sense to dock at Limassol.
The thing is Dominic, cruise ships will moor up where they get the best deal, ie the cheapest mooring fees, they will sell excursions to see the moisacs, but they can make alot more selling excursions to far away places... one example of cruise liners choosing cheap destinations is, stopping off in Albania, rather then Corfu, which is a mile away... We stopped off in Albania once, and after ten minutes we were back on the ship, Albania was a horrible dirty place, when I asked some of the crew why we didn't stop of in corfu instead , I was told it was cheaper for the cruise company.