Flu Jabs - update today from General Hospital

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Flu Jabs - update today from General Hospital

Post by kansas »

With apologies to those who know this already.

We visited the General this morning and was told that the current batch of flu vaccinations are only being provided by appointment and there are no appointments left. Normal service will resume from 18th November when you can either visit the General to get your flu vaccination as before, i.e. not by appointment, or alternatively make an appointment with your Personal Doctor.

We also visited a pharmacy who provides flu vaccinations and was told that they currently are out of stock.
mike strand2

Re: Flu Jabs - update today from General Hospital

Post by mike strand2 »

I went to the GH this morning just after 10:00 to be told "only by appointment & their current stock was all allocated". Gave me a number to call when next delivery of vaccine comes in, 26 803 246

Also rang my PD who said, "end of the month" & was highly critical of the GH arrangements.
JimX

Post by JimX »

The wife was told to come back this Wednesday, they said no appointment was needed, soon find out.
Last edited by JimX on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I made 2 abortive visits to the Flu Clinic, arrived on a day they were closed..
The 3rd time I arrived on a Wed am, the door was open. They had run out of vaccine I was told, but were making appts! So I was given one for 2 weeks later. Progress at last!
I returned on the appointed day, with my old hospital white card. I was asked for it and my name was found on their appt list... As there was no one waiting, I sat on a chair, a nurse ‘jabbed’ my arm. Then I was on my way again. The whole thing took less than 10 mins!

The system being used seems a bit haphazard to me, but the moral to my story is that its a case of try, try, and try again. Persistence pays off!
Dee
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

This morning I called the number I gave above to see about making an appointment, to now be told, "not making appointments. Just come after Thursday." Who is (dis)organising this department?
JimX

Post by JimX »

That's what they told the wife, Mike but on Wednesday.
Jim.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Update..

Arrived at the General at 8.10am today large queue waiting, a person gave the wife a number, and we waited, 9.30am the nurse from the vaccine surgery then came out to give us all the news, NO vaccine is available and they had no idea when any will be coming in, they advised us to go to our GP and ask there, so don't waste your time going down, this system is a disaster.
Jim.
mike strand2

Re: Flu Jabs - update Weds 20/11 from General Hospital

Post by mike strand2 »

I will sue the GH if I die of influenza! :evil:
JimX

Post by JimX »

As this morning get in the queue to Sue!! :D
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

This morning (Thursday) I was phoned by a friend to say they had just had a flue jab at the General.
So I went down there about 11 o'clock and there were only two people in front of me and then I got my jab.
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Trev,
Glad that you got your flu jab! But what a strange way for the GH to carry on.It seems strange that someone who is responsible for organising the distribution-of the flu vaccine
hasn’t been able to implement a system of getting the vaccine to the hospitals, pharmacies, doctors and so on, in an orderly way so that the hospitals can plan to have regular and advertised vaccination clinics,
What a shambles...

Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

We went today at 1.15 p.m. and got our flu jab (no queue) and were told that the vaccines had only recently arrived. Thanks Trev, for the heads up.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Why are they telling people that they had no vaccine or when they would get some in? this system is hopeless run by headless chickens, my GP knew nothing of the reason to contact him regarding vaccine, he had none and he said more or-less the same as I have done, we waited over an hour only to be told basically to go away, why is it down to people contacting others to say they now have vaccine in, crazy system no matter you now have your flu inoculation, good on you... :roll:
Last edited by JimX on Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I'd been told to go today (Friday 22/11) so I did at 09:00 There was no queue. I was asked if I had an appointment at which point I was ready to 'bust a blood vessel'. I said I was not prepared to leave without getting the shot as this was the 4th time I'd been and been told different stories. I showed my medical card and took a seat whereupon I received my flu jab. However, my carer who only has GESY papers, was told a special paper from the doctor, specifically with respect to a flu jab was required. You couldn't make it up; only in this dysfunctional state!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I dropped my wife off for a flu jab this morning, around 11am. She was out again by the time I had parked the car and walked to the building. No complains from us..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

No Trev but many of us have been given the run around, just ask the wife, just not good enough, you either give the service or let your GP have the vaccines.
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I heard some interesting news about the vaccine saga.
Was told that this year because of Gesy, the order for the islands flu vaccine was submitted later than usual. I have also been told that in the past this vaccine was ordered from the Republic of Ireland, But this year it was decided to try ordering it from Bulgaria - maybe their price was cheaper? Whatever. Apparently the vacinne has been arriving in small batches, but it seems that they are arriving in Cyprus at irregular intervals and no one knows exactly when the next batch will arrive. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of this, but my info has been gleaned by talking to several different pharmacists and to a nurse at the Flu clinic which wasn’t busy when I had mine.