Question for Devil

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Question for Devil

Post by WHL »

Just took a look in another forum, and they are up in arms because a 5g phone mast has gone up, my question to you is, should we be worried? Cheers
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Question for Devil

Post by Dominic »

One of my cameras uses 5G for wireless connection, and my head hasn't explod
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The reason I ask, is because ive googled and one report says safe, another dangerous, so I thought Id ask the man who has an Ology on here for his views.
darrow

Post by darrow »

It has just been on BBC,people up in arms in Brighton! An independent assessor was brought in. 3 meters from the mast top was less than 10% of the recommended safety levels. A few meters away, ( he was on a house roof) it was less than 2%. He also said the basic technology is no different than that which has been used for over 20 years.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

5G is perfectly safe. Want the techie stuff?
Electromagnetic radiation (simplistically) consists, as its name implies, of a combined electrical field and magnetic field. The question is how often the 2 fields change (frequency) and their intensity. For convenience, radio radiation is split up into rather meaningless names like 'very low frequency' (VLF), to LF, MF, HF, VHF, UHF, SHF, EHF, each designating a range of frequencies. This is called non-ionising radiation, meaning that the atoms and molecules that comprise the gases in air are not split. If we go to frequencies beyond EHF, we can go to heat (non-ionising), light (non-ionising), ultraviolet (ionising), x-rays (ionising) and so on. It is ionising radiation that can cause damage to the body because its electrical field can cause the organic molecules in the body to split. Then there is also a question of power: obviously, the more intense ionising radiation is, the more is the number of organic molecules that can be damaged (e.g., radiotherapy to damage cancer cells is a useful example).

5G and all cellphone applications are very low power. The handset radiates in the UHF, SHF and EHF ranges and the power of the transmitter is very low, generally about 200 mW (0.2 W). The fixed stations on the mast are usually 1-5 W (domestic light bulbs are usually in the range of 5-250 W at a much higher frequency). For the anecdote, for 5 years, I worked with MF transmitters radiating over 200,000 W without any protection. At the same time, I was a 'ham' with HF, VHF powers up to 150 W and much higher frequencies, with no protection. I have never (nor my colleagues) suffered any problem from this comparatively intense radiation (and a lot of less intense since) and I've survived to 87 years.

My guess is that 10 minutes or so of bright sunlight UV would cause you more harm than a lifetime of radio frequency radiation.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:14 am 5G is perfectly safe. Want the techie stuff?
Electromagnetic radiation (simplistically) consists, as its name implies, of a combined electrical field and magnetic field. The question is how often the 2 fields change (frequency) and their intensity. For convenience, radio radiation is split up into rather meaningless names like 'very low frequency' (VLF), to LF, MF, HF, VHF, UHF, SHF, EHF, each designating a range of frequencies. This is called non-ionising radiation, meaning that the atoms and molecules that comprise the gases in air are not split. If we go to frequencies beyond EHF, we can go to heat (non-ionising), light (non-ionising), ultraviolet (ionising), x-rays (ionising) and so on. It is ionising radiation that can cause damage to the body because its electrical field can cause the organic molecules in the body to split. Then there is also a question of power: obviously, the more intense ionising radiation is, the more is the number of organic molecules that can be damaged (e.g., radiotherapy to damage cancer cells is a useful example).

5G and all cellphone applications are very low power. The handset radiates in the UHF, SHF and EHF ranges and the power of the transmitter is very low, generally about 200 mW (0.2 W). The fixed stations on the mast are usually 1-5 W (domestic light bulbs are usually in the range of 5-250 W at a much higher frequency). For the anecdote, for 5 years, I worked with MF transmitters radiating over 200,000 W without any protection. At the same time, I was a 'ham' with HF, VHF powers up to 150 W and much higher frequencies, with no protection. I have never (nor my colleagues) suffered any problem from this comparatively intense radiation (and a lot of less intense since) and I've survived to 87 years.

My guess is that 10 minutes or so of bright sunlight UV would cause you more harm than a lifetime of radio frequency radiation.
Thank you very much for replying, that will do for me.