Bad sportsmanship

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Bad sportsmanship

Post by Mark »

I love Rugby, and supported England in today's match........however.

They showed a lack of respect to there competitors, their fans, and to the spirit of the game by removing their runner up medals.

I appreciate the disappointment of the players, but it also sets the wrong example to young fans.

Not what I expect in the game of Rugby.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Bad sportsmanship

Post by Dominic »

Perhaps they didn't think their performance warranted a medal? There are many reasons they could have removed them. I wouldn't call it bad sportsmanship without knowing the full story.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I agree with Mark - they should have at least worn the medals until they reached their dressing room.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yes, I agree as well it was not a thing to do in public. The world was watching them.
All things are possible
memory man

Post by memory man »

Someone ought to tell Sports Direct the bad news.

PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Wensbry wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:33 pm Individuals choice, nobody else's business.
In the heat of the moment we all do things we might or might not regret.
True, but as professional sportsmen, they are figures that youngsters look up to and emulate. Their behaviour should reflect that responsibility.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Varky

Post by Varky »

I find the criticism for not wearing their medals by the English team a little PC and nit picking and forgets the effort put in over the 2 month period of the tournament. It forgets that, after beating the all-blacks there were no 'over the top' celebrations.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too think they should have worn their medals. Bad sportsmanship to take them off or refuse to have them put around their necks
Trev..
emgee

Post by emgee »

No honours or BBC Sports personality of the year for this lot. Their actions were an absolute disgrace to the sport of Rugby and every English supporter who was there.

That's what happens when the game is taken over by MONEY.

Very sad day for the game we loved.

Alan
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, it is just good manners to accept defeat graciously. These things happen both in sport and in real life. They should have worn their medals. its also good manners to their hosts. And they should not forget that at International level in sport they are also ambassadors for their country.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Varky wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:45 am I find the criticism for not wearing their medals by the English team a little PC and nit picking and forgets the effort put in over the 2 month period of the tournament. It forgets that, after beating the all-blacks there were no 'over the top' celebrations.
Not nitpicking or PC - just very disappointed that these men were representing England. Not a good example for their fans, young and old, or for a team supposed to be acting as ambassadors for the sport of rugby or their home nation.
Meri2

Post by Meri2 »

Varky wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:45 am I find the criticism for not wearing their medals by the English team a little PC and nit picking and forgets the effort put in over the 2 month period of the tournament. It forgets that, after beating the all-blacks there were no 'over the top' celebrations.
Winning the RWC ‘over the top’ celebrations ? 😃😃
Varky

Post by Varky »

Meri2 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:03 pm
Winning the RWC ‘over the top’ celebrations ? 😃😃
If you read my posting more carefully you will see I was referring to the semi-final between England and New Zealand.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

What do people think about the “Residency” law, that allows International teams to field ‘foreign’ players who have played in the host country for 5 years? (Was 3)

It adds 5 players to the England team alone
tonee

Post by tonee »

And how many foreign born players in the 2019 Scotland Rugby Union world cup squad??……….14...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Tonee. This isn’t a dig. I was asking what people thought. You seem unable to be objective. I think it’s a terrible step, but you haven’t an opinion. Only whatavoutery. Very adult.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I am anti the 5 year residency rules for all sports not just RU.
It was decimate the Welsh team as well as I recall reading last season 8 maybe 9 of the team were born in England.
tonee

Post by tonee »

Jimgward...so why only mention England?Perhaps you could of stated.".it adds 14 players to the Scotland squad alone"
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Because the thread was about ENGLAND - and that was the topical discussion... so was natural. Everyone knows that England have less non-natural than the other home nations.... Honestly,You’re either totally precious or blinkered!
tonee

Post by tonee »

I,m precious,thank for the compliment :lol: :lol: