Where is Oliver when we need him >

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Aargent

Where is Oliver when we need him >

Post by Aargent »

I have done a search but if tthis was on before perhaps Dominic could remove it.

Oliver Cromwell's speech to parliament in 1653

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.
Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government.
Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.
Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?
Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?
Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices?
Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do.
I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.
Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Mike.1940

Re: Where is Oliver when we need him >

Post by Mike.1940 »

Did they not dig him up and stick his head on a spike on London Bridge?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Yes, it's Guy Fawkes we need not Cromwell.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Firefly wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:34 pm Yes, it's Guy Fawkes we need not Cromwell.
Yes, the only person to enter the Houses of Parliament with an honourable intention.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

No, but I think it will be 2653 IF it ever happens !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.