Good People

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Good People

Post by WHL »

Would just like to share this with you, I was recently back in London, and after a day out in the west end, and food shopping we got back home about 8pm, whilst emptying my pockets, I couldn't find my wallet, went back to the car, searched it inside out, but couldn't find it, panic then sets in, I had my credit cards, UK driving licence, and about two hundred sterling in cash, my wife then sat on the phone trying to ring Banks etc.... just then theres a ring on the door bell, who the **** is that, as I was anoyed and angry at losing the wallet, I answered the door and there was a man about 50-60 years old, he was wearing Muslim clothing and the white skull cap they wear, I thought not now mate, I dont want to buy anything, and was about to give him short shrift....In a soft voice he said, excuse me sir for disturbing you, but I was in the Supermarket car park and as I got out of the car, I noticed this wallet on the ground, I saw your address on the driving licence, and thought I would bring it back to you, as I know having lost a wallet of my own in the past, you would be worried, well I felt like shit, I asked him to come in for a hot drink as it was wet and cold, and he said thank you, but I start work shortly, I then opened the wallet and tried to give him some money as a reward, he wouldn't take a penny, and said sir I didn't do this for any reward, my reward is helping a fellow human being, I insisted, but all he said was , Sir if you want to give something please give it to charity, (which I did)... he then wished me well and left for work..... working nights the guy obviously isnt wealthy, so he obviously could of done with the money, the supermarket was half an hours drive away, so the result of this was, shame on me for judging someone without waiting to see what they wanted, and it humbled me to see what good people there are out there, especially our wrongly held views on Muslims, and it taught me a big lesson,...... sorry to have rumbled on , but I thought I needed to share this.
mike strand2

Re: Good People

Post by mike strand2 »

A lesson for us all I think
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

What a lovely story.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:34 pm What a lovely story.
I still feel disgusted with myself, :cry:
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I understand how you feel, but isn't it great to learn a lesson that way?
Louise :)
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

During my working life I dealt with a lot of Muslims, OK they were 'Del Boys' but they were really nice people and we got invited to various dos. When I told them I was retiring one said to me " Your family will look after you now" I wish I said " No! you have looked after them and it is now their turn to look after you " That seems to be the Muslim way of doing it but I couldn't get the family to change faith
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
WHL

Post by WHL »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:56 pm I understand how you feel, but isn't it great to learn a lesson that way?
No matter how angry and fed up I was at losing my wallet, that guy drove for nearly half an hour in London traffic for me, and the best I could do was to open the door with a horrible attitude, I will remember his kindness for ever.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A similar thing happened to me in Polemi. I had dropped my wife off at the airport as she was returning to the UK for an operation. I stopped off at Mesogi Road Paps on the way back for some milk. Later in the afternoon two young blokes knocked on our door in Polemi to return the wallet I didn't even realise I had missed. I was so surprised, and laughed, saying "I don't believe it". I meant that I couldn't believe how lucky I had been, but they thought I meant I didn't believe they found my wallet or something. I had to explain quickly that I was very thankful.

Yes, there are good people in the world, and if you ever find a wallet, know that you will get much more of a buzz from returning it to the rightful owner than you will simply spending the contents.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Last time we were over in the UK i was carrying my small leather man bag. Init was everything-Passports, wallet, credit and debit cards cash around £500.00. Sat in Asda cafe had the meal and out to the hire car and drove off. About an hour later we realised no man bag. Drove like a maniac back to Asda. I went to the place where we had sat nothing argggh. I went to the till and asked had anyone handed in my bag. The manager came up and said what is your name sir told him. From under the counter my bag. Checked it everything was there. The manager said the waiter handed it in. I went to the waiter and offered him £20.00 No thank you sir.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

We have found wallet/purse, on a couple of occasions and have handed them over to the Police....but have never known if the got reunited with their owners.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

There are many good people. Judge them on how they behave, not which God they believe in. Nasty people come in all colours and faiths. So glad you got your wallet back, I’d say it’s good karma on you for being a decent person in the past, yes I do believe in it. A big well done to the man for going to so much trouble in delivering it to you.
memory man

Post by memory man »

If you found "loose" Euros ( not in purse or wallet etc ) so no ID, lying on the ground
what would you do with the cash.

Would you hand it in to Police, keep it or what would you do?

Maybe it depends on where it was found, eg. outside bank at ATM, in a shop, on a bus.

I think it all depends on where it is found and how much.

Be honest.
WHL

Post by WHL »

memory man wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:36 pm If you found "loose" Euros ( not in purse or wallet etc ) so no ID, lying on the ground
what would you do with the cash.

Would you hand it in to Police, keep it or what would you do?

Maybe it depends on where it was found, eg. outside bank at ATM, in a shop, on a bus.

I think it all depends on where it is found and how much.

Be honest.
We have found some change/note, and we always put it in the nearest charity box.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I commend you for sharing this story. We need to see more of these on social media, rather than the hatred that seems to have become part of the white British DNA.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My wife is Muslim and so are many of my friends. They like a glass of wine and are not the stereotypes the media would have you believe. Most would rather do you a good turn than a bad one.
I've always taken people as I found them and find treating everyone, no matter their creed or colour, being a cleaner or director, with respect and that goes a very long way.

Jim