12th December

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
jagwheels

12th December

Post by jagwheels »

I am sure this has been asked & answered in the past. Do British expats have an opportunity to vote in a UK election?
JimX

Re: 12th December

Post by JimX »

Norv.

Yes you do if you can get the forms sent here in time, Or if you can summon up any enthusiasm to do it! :roll:
Jim.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I think they can provided as Jim says the forms arrive in time or they have done the necessary registration within the last 15 years.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Yes, details here. https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

You can choose to vote by post or through a proxy.

Ian
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

What’s the point in voting anymore? The minority will only put barriers in the way and refuse to accept it with the bitterness they have with Brexit 😉
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

You can apply for a postal vote but do it quickly if you want the forms sent to Cyprus.

You are normally eligible to vote as long as you haven't been away from the UK for more than 15yrs. But when you go to register for a postal vote it should tell you.

If I remember correctly, you need to provide your last UK address so it can be checked with the local authority there and that's where your vote is registered.

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Varky

Post by Varky »

And what is all this bull about giving EU citizens the right to vote in the general election. As far as I am aware no other EU country gives non-citizens of their country that right.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

The Aquila wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:06 am What’s the point in voting anymore? The minority will only put barriers in the way and refuse to accept it with the bitterness they have with Brexit 😉
That's how we ended up here in the first place..
A lot less people voted than usual.
Varky

Post by Varky »

And what is all this bull about giving EU citizens the right to vote in the general election. As far as I am aware no other EU country gives non-citizens of their country that right. At least that is what Laura Kuenssberg says.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Do not bother using a postal vote if you are not in the UK! I was told this by the Leicester Registrar. They only get the final list of candidates late on, so by the time they have papers to send out there's very little time to send out, for you to place your 'X' and post back to the UK. By all means use a proxy though, but do apply now as this also takes some time. And as someone else has pointed out, if you have resided outside the UK for 15 or more years, you are disenfranchised.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I have voted by PROXY before. However, as I have lived out of the UK longer than 15 years I am no longer eligible to vote.
All things are possible
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Thank you all for answering my question. At least its a little easier to vote here electronically but understand Jim's comment :roll: