Cypriot honey wins first prize at World Beekeeping Awards

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Cypriot honey wins first prize at World Beekeeping Awards

Post by Paphos Life »

Cypriot honey Tziverti has received the first prize at the 46th World Beekeeping Awards (WBA) in Canada.The World Beekeeping Awards are held every two years at the Apimondia??International Apicultural??The aim of the award is to highlight international excellence for honey and other bee products, focusing on good beekeeping practices and respect for quality criteria....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Cherry345

Re: Cypriot honey wins first prize at World Beekeeping Awards

Post by Cherry345 »

We read about this yesterday in the news, so next time we go shopping we are going to look out for it, I don't remember seeing it in Alphamega but we will start looking for it.
memory man

Post by memory man »

We buy our honey from Cyprus Honey Stavros in Chlorakas.

Very knowledgeable and friendly people.

Excellent honey products.

The shop is just round the corner from Jim Peck, butcher shop.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Would they be good people to contact if people found a swarm of bees? This question occasionally appears on social media and it would be useful if I knew somebody who can help.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I get my honey from Stavros in Chloraka too and can confirm that their honey, often different types according to the season is superb.. Stavros and his wife are very knowledgeable about bees and speak good English. But I don't know how they would react in the circumstances you describe. Would be worth going to their honey shop to ask them.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Recently another honey produced in the Paphos region did well in a competition in London in July.

Honey Ayii Anargyri PD wins Gold Honey Award in London International Honey Award 2019.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/10/07/cypr ... ey-awards/
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

I am so glad this talk of honey got brought up....its great to know they sell the Tz one in Alphamega, last week I tried some raw honey from Alphamega and it is lovely, I didn't know there was a honey shop in Chloraka which I am going to check out today...totally love this site.
Also didn't know that cheaper honey was diluted with water, seems there is a lot I don't know lol.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:07 pm We also buy from Stavros and his lovely wife in Chloraka. Great stuff.

But while in Alfa Mega today I was tempted, for a change, to buy some of the award-winning honey from Tziverti.

I'm sure peeps know this anyway, but cheaper honeys are simply diluted with water, which is why they are runnier than quality brands.
Hmm that is news to me. I was always told that some honey is thinner as they heat it longer in the process to make it thinner on purpose. As many people do not want thick honey.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Friend of of a friend keeps bees and we are lucky to get the chance to buy some of him, changes flavour throughout the season, nothing comes close to it
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:25 pm
Lincoln wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:14 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:07 pm We also buy from Stavros and his lovely wife in Chloraka. Great stuff.

But while in Alfa Mega today I was tempted, for a change, to buy some of the award-winning honey from Tziverti.

I'm sure peeps know this anyway, but cheaper honeys are simply diluted with water, which is why they are runnier than quality brands.
Hmm that is news to me. I was always told that some honey is thinner as they heat it longer in the process to make it thinner on purpose. As many people do not want thick honey.
Google it, HIC is correct!
I just googled it and this was the top result:

https://www.localharvest.org/blog/24679 ... y_thick_or

RAW HONEY is no thicker than honey that has been processed. True, when microwaved or heated on a stove, the hot honey will be thin and flow rapidly WHILE HOT.......but that same honey will return to its original thickness when cooled. So don't look to the viscosity to determine whether or not your honey is raw, because "raw"-ness does not make honey thick!!

Then what DOES determine the relative runny-ness of your honey?

It's the floral sources --the nectar, the weather, and the temperature of the honey itself.

Palm trees contribute a nectar that makes honey thin, whereas orange blossom's nectar creates a slightly thicker honey.

We live in Miami, where humidity and temperatures are high most of the year. We are surrounded by palm trees, and there's lots of rain (except in Spring). So our honey tends to be rather liquid.

Except in January!!! When I tried to bottle up honey in fifty degree weather, the honey would hardly pour out of the bucket.....It was so thick it took over five minutes to fill a one pound jar!!!

But as soon as the ambient temperatures went back up, the honey flowed just fine.

Honey is hydroscopic. That means that it absorbs humidity from the air. This will also influence your honey's flow rate.

Honey left in a hot car in your grocery bag will be thinner than that same jar stored in an air conditioned kitchen.

And DON'T store your honey in the frig....

Now for all I know that may have been issued by the Association of Honey Diluters, just to throw people off the scent. But it does demonstrate why telling people to google it might not have the desired result! :)
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:25 pm
Lincoln wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:14 pm

Google it, HIC is correct!
I do not do google because someone requests me to. Also I still firmly believe that what I was told be the person a few years ago who made honey. Is the correct version. :mrgreen:
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Palm trees can make honey thin, according to the google I did.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I buy my honey since years from a small Marathounta producer, available at Cypriot groceries, also in the "Thyme" variety which is a bit more expensive with 8.50/kg.

Max
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I was in Papantoniou yesterday and lined up one of each of the various honey containers on display (plastic containers only) and on the word 'GO' with the assistance of other customers we turned them all over at the same time and watched the air bubble rise. A close race.

I have heard of honey containing corn syrup.

As with all things best to check the label.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Currently eating a late brekkie - porridge with a spoonful of Stavros' cinnamon honey. Yum x if you live near Polis, you can get some of Stavros' honey range including sample jars in That Nice Shop.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
PaulJohn

Post by PaulJohn »

Hi
I cant see any article - please can you provide a link?
Thanks
Paul
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It's at the top of the thread, on Page 1.

https://www.paphoslife.com/news/cypriot ... ing_awards
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My wife commented on the scarcity of honey bees in our garden this year; we have lots of citrus and Apple trees but must say I haven't seen many buzzing about either. Very worrying.

Jim
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Lots of bees in our garden with the lantanas and other shrubs with tiny flowers.
Louise :)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

No doubt about it Cyprus does produce lovely pure honey! I always buy from Savvas and enjoy trying his different honey’s according to season and what is in flower. I love his Orange Blossom and Thyme honey’s particularly.

He told me that Its a shame that attempts to grow the Manuka flowering shrub from New Zealand have failed.As it won’t grow here ...

Dee

Dee