What a load of old rubbish

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mike strand2

What a load of old rubbish

Post by mike strand2 »

Nicosia has installed underground refuse bins that are causing a bit of a stink! :oops:

Never mind the stink, are people supposed the clamber over the rusting metal barrier or trip over the uneven / broken road & paving? What about wheelchair access too? Who are these numpties in the Municipality that earn good money but have no brain?

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/10/20/new- ... ternative/

-old-Nicosia-look-unobstrusive-but.jpg
-old-Nicosia-look-unobstrusive-but.jpg (147.07 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
darrow

Re: What a load of old rubbish

Post by darrow »

Getting a decent position has nothing to do with common sense and intelligence, more old boys network. Not just in Cyprus either.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Looks like a new ground fill system!
:lol: :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

These have ben in use in Holland for years and are a brilliant system
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Easy enough to put the rubbish in, but how is it removed? (I read the article that said the new bins are not completely emptied, which is part of the cause for the smell.) Do the bags have to be lifted out one by one manually, or has the municipality acquired a giant vacuum hose?
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

PW in Polemi wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:48 am Easy enough to put the rubbish in, but how is it removed? (I read the article that said the new bins are not completely emptied, which is part of the cause for the smell.) Do the bags have to be lifted out one by one manually, or has the municipality acquired a giant vacuum hose?
Underneath there is a sealed container the size of a skip, a lorry comes and lifts it out of the ground, as I said I have used these in Amsterdam, the house holder has a swipe card which opens the lid ,place your trash in the appropriate bin, no smell no cats getting at the rubbish, no rats get near it,
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Obviously the system works as it should in Amsterdam, but I wonder if the installation below was the same here as elsewhere and how efficiently these bins are maintained and emptied? If the smell from the below ground bins is as bad as the article said, no wonder the neighbours are complaining...

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »