They're dropping like flies

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jimgym

Re: They're dropping like flies

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 pm Is it not a good attitude to take pride in whatever you're doing, and in so doing make it as accurate as possible?
I’ve no doubt people do make it as accurate as possible, however everyone judges things differently. Some judge more than others it seems.....
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:20 pm I'm goin't ignore all theese sealy comments.
Careful the elite on here will class you as an Ignoramouse :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:49 pm
Les Bean wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 pm Is it not a good attitude to take pride in whatever you're doing, and in so doing make it as accurate as possible?
I’ve no doubt people do make it as accurate as possible, however everyone judges things differently. Some judge more than others it seems.....
I can't recall ever judging or commenting on anyone's use of their written English, be it good, bad or indifferent but I do check my spelling and syntax before posting; maybe that's out of common courtesy for those taking the time to read them.

Jim
Last edited by Jim B on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
J B

Post by J B »

mouse wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:20 pm I'm goin't ignore all theese sealy comments.
Google tells me that sealy is either a beautiful woman or an area of salt water, or am I over-thinking this?

EDIT - or is it this ....
J B
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm where people sit an on line English exam before being excepted as members?
Did you write it that way to wind people like me up?
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

I think a lot of it has to do with whether the writer/speaker is simply being lazy or not. Textspeak is the ultimate lazy way of communication. Yes, you get the drift eventually, but is it too much effort to spell words out - if possible....?

Last night I as watching the BBC news item about M&S's financial problems. They interviewed the new head of womenswear. She said "We're now choosing less styles....". A women in her position should know the difference between less and fewer. Yes, we knew what she meant but it doesn't stop it grating. A personal opinion, but I can't see a person in her current position succeeding if that's typical of her oral and written communication skills. God help M&S.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

"was" not "as"
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:26 am
WHL wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm where people sit an on line English exam before being excepted as members?
Did you write it that way to wind people like me up?
Off cause not, I wrote that to have a dig, at the people who, like to pick fault in other peoples spelling mistakes, thats why I suggested they go and start their own forums, so they can vet people on how good their spelling is before making them members of their ''arnt I clever Cyprus forum''
JimX

Post by JimX »

Not often I agree with you WHL but on this silly thread I do.
Jim.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Just wondered if the people who have a problem with the way the written word is expressed also make corrections when they are having a conversation?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Often, yes!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Wot peeple dont undarstand is that it dunt marrer dus it as u can all unerstan wot i ritten
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lincoln wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:26 pm Wot peeple dont undarstand is that it dunt marrer dus it as u can all unerstan wot i ritten
Eggsactly

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/mat ... cmabridge/
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:00 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:36 pm
Lincoln wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:26 pm Wot peeple dont undarstand is that it dunt marrer dus it as u can all unerstan wot i ritten
Eggsactly

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/mat ... cmabridge/
Interesting article, but you have to read all of it to avoid being sucked in to a tabloid newspaper type conclusion that correct spelling is irrelevant
Les, I dont think anyone is saying correct spelling is irrelevant, we should all try our best when we are posting, but here lies the problem, we have not all been blessed with the best education, and forums are a mirror on the population, from very little education to PHD education, a good mix, which enriches a public forum, my beef as well as some other's, is the self appointed spelling monitors on forums, who take delight in picking people up, where they have put the wrong word in etc, to me its a boring and smugness on their part, and ruins a thread, my opinion only.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I find that when I mis-spell words, it's down to laziness, not reading it through before I post. The trouble with that is that when I think about my posts, it usually hits me that I have made an error about 2. am !!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.