The Worm has turned

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

The Worm has turned

Post by WHL »

Kili01

Re: The Worm has turned

Post by Kili01 »

No sympathy with XR, why should they expect ‘carte blanche’ to continually disrupt ordinary peoples lives? I applaud the angry commuters who decided to stop this groups mindless and dangerous action this morning. I hope those arrested by the police since last Monday are dealt with robustly by the courts.
Anyway, where does this ‘rent a mob’ come from, are they all unemployed? Maybe a long spell of enforced community service and a stiff fine ight be the way to go..
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Some of them were pensioners actually.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Quote: ''Anyway, where does this ‘rent a mob’ come from, are they all unemployed? Maybe a long spell of enforced community service and a stiff fine ight be the way to go.. Dee''.

Well some are getting paid:

''Extinction Rebellion is paying activists up to £400 a week to lead the protests that have brought chaos to the streets of Britain, documents seen by The Mail on Sunday reveal.

Protesters have received payments totalling more than £70,000 in four months alone.
But the eco-protest group privately fears it could face a six-figure tax bill if the money, which is given as expenses, is deemed to be payment for work done on XR's behalf.

This newspaper has seen claims for expenses from 168 activists, including Tamsin Omond, a baronet's granddaughter who has appeared in Tatler and rubbed shoulders with Boris Johnson...''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -week.html
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

However, we cannot turn a blind eye!
El tel

Post by El tel »

It’s a shame the activist who glued himself to the top of an aircraft was removed. It would have been a great ad for the glue manufacturers to show how effective their product was at 35000 feet. ;)

Terry
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:00 pm Some of them were pensioners actually.
So when it suits pensioners are to be listened to, but in other circumstances their opinions should be ignored.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:29 pm Agree. That's what needs to happen. Why should this band of protesters disrupt and ruin everyone else's daily lives.
Surely it would be more productive to demonstrate against the embassies of those countries that are the largest producers of CO2 emissions.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Lets not lose sight of why they are doing this and to the future of our families to life on this planet, easy to have a go at these people, maybe one day we will all understand the seriousness of our existence to life on Earth, even if it is too late for most of us.
Jim.
Galini

Post by Galini »

JimX wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:51 am Lets not lose sight of why they are doing this and to the future of our families to life on this planet, easy to have a go at these people, maybe one day we will all understand the seriousness of our existence to life on Earth, even if it is too late for most of us.
Well said !
Paul

Post by Paul »

I wonder how many of them are on benefits.
If they are and arrested then stop there benefits.
If there getting money as expenses then tax it as earned income.
Then see how big the groups of protesters are!
Lastly do a financial investigation as to where the money is coming from.
;)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Varky wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 pm
So when it suits pensioners are to be listened to, but in other circumstances their opinions should be ignored.
What are you on about now? An old man glued his hand to a train. He wasn't unemployed, he was a pensioner. That is the beginning and end of my point. If you draw any other conclusions than that you are in dreamland.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Again if some of those here actually know the outcome of of these so called activists actions maybe those who feel this action was an outrage then they should look to the near future of what will happen, I do not agree with endangering people but surly we should think why are they doing it for, it is not for a pension rise.
Jim.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:06 pm
Varky wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 pm
What are you on about now? An old man glued his hand to a train. He wasn't unemployed, he was a pensioner. That is the beginning and end of my point. If you draw any other conclusions than that you are in dreamland.
Pardon me if you weren't pointing out that pensioners were supporting the movement. My comment was a generalisation pointing out that in other present day problems it has been suggested that pensioners opinions should be discounted. I would have thought that with a bit of thinking outside the box you would have understood what I was getting at.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was pointing out that the protestors weren't just the unemployed. I happened to see in the press a picture of an 83 year old man with his hand glued to a train. Now, you can take that and draw whatever conclusion you want.
WHL

Post by WHL »

What P,s me off the most is these celebraties and Royals, preaching to us on how to save the planet, whilst jetting around on their private jets etc, only the other day that clown Hamilton, said we should all become vegans to save the planet, this from a bloke who drives round and round in fuel burning racing cars whilst traveling the world on private jets,,, shut it you hypocrite,
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I see they have blocked a part of Oxford Street now. Whilst I applaud people becoming more environmentally aware, the way in which this group has gone about things is so completely wrong. I'm glad that man was dragged from the roof of the tube and I hope he learnt his lesson at the hands of everyday hardworking Londoners!
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm I was pointing out that the protestors weren't just the unemployed. I happened to see in the press a picture of an 83 year old man with his hand glued to a train. Now, you can take that and draw whatever conclusion you want.
So you were only pointing out the obvious tnen?
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

If you care to check up Lewis Hamilton has sold his jet ,
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:49 am I knew that Old Timer, I read it last week. However, other than window-dressing, it doesn't disguise the fact that Hamilton and his entourage of maybe 50 people plus cars, spares and equipment travel all over the globe, to shave minuscule amounts off previous records, or beat competitors by a similiar amount. And how do they get there? By commercial or leased jet. And you can bet Hamiltion doesn't do economy.

Take note, I am not condemning motor-racing, nor F1, nor any of us flying abroad for holidays, nor us owning sporty cars, nor eating red meat if we choose to. I am simply continuing WHL's theme there that we don't need to be lectured to, or shamed by, Lewis Hamilton, the Royals...or even Greta Thunberg come to that.

And while Lewis Hamilton goes vegan to supposedly "save the planet" we have this: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/qatar-now-hot ... 16910.html
I misunderstood you to start with. I thought the Old Timer you were referring to was the pensioner I mentioned who glued his hand to the train. Consequently the rest of your post made no sense to me until I worked out what you actually meant. :lol: