Pedestrians injured in two separate incidents

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Pedestrians injured in two separate incidents

Post by galexinda »

A 71 year old woman is in critical condition in the intensive care unit of Nicosia Hospital after she was hit by a car while trying to cross the road in the Paphos district on Wednesday night. It was the second accident involving a pedestrian in the Paphos district within one hour.

The woman is British and a permanent resident of Argakas.
Police said that the accident occurred at 8.20 pm on the main Polis Chrysochous-Ayias Marina road.
They said the woman was hit by a car driven by a 62 year old as she attempted to cross the road.
She was taken first to Paphos Hospital and from there to Nicosia Hospital where she was admitted into the ICU.
Her condition is described as extremely critical.
The driver of the car, a Greek Cypriot, was arrested to facilitate police inquiries.

In a separate accident involving a pedestrian a man sustained minor injuries when he was hit by a car while on a pedestrian crossing on Apostolos Pavlos avenue in Kato Paphos.

The 20 year old driver of the car abandoned the scene of the accident but was arrested later by police.
The injured man is out of danger.

https://in-cyprus.com/71-year-old-pedes ... -gNkhoYIg8
Paul

Re: Pedestrians injured in two separate incidents

Post by Paul »

This is why pedestrians get hurt.
Watch the pedestrian on the left!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, some pedestrians are very careless when crossing the road. Jumping off the pavement regardless of what is coming. Crossing the road without even looking to see if a car is nearly on top of them.. It is even more dangerous after dark when some pedestrians who normally wear the ‘uniform’ black clothing adopt the same behavior.
I always keep a strict look out for potential jaywalkers but even so I have had to jam my brakes on if the dreaded behaviour of someone jumping off the pavement nearly under the front wheels should happen..
Dee
June

Post by June »

The problem with Paphos is that many drivers don't seem to understand the concept of pedestrian crossings. Consequently I am very careful when using. Particularly on Lidas.
June

Post by June »

Exactly mouse.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There should be no excuse for going over a lights controlled crossing when a red light is showing..
But I have seen cars going across junctions when the lights are red against them..
Trev..
Paul

Post by Paul »

We where at the top of the polis road this morning at the traffic lights in the layby to the left when a bus drove through a red light it was a public transport bus at that!
I saw the light red in front of the bus before it got to the lights the drive had lots of time to stop but did he NO!

Remember this:-
Green light out
Amber light on for 2.7 seconds
Red light on
2.7 seconds after the red light on the other lights change to red/amber for 2.7 seconds after that you have a green light.
Amber means stop or prepair to stop.
Any professional driver who drives like this should lose there licences and job.
What if he has an accident and passengers are injured.
Paul
Former IAM Member