Remembrance Day to be inclusive of 'all modern Britain'

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Remembrance Day to be inclusive of 'all modern Britain'

Post by galexinda »

The red poppy will be worn to remember terror and civilian victims of war for the first time this year, the Royal British Legion has said.

Remembrance Day will not only pay tribute to fallen British and allied armed forces but will be inclusive of ‘all modern Britain’.

The 98-year-old charity’s website has been updated to explain that the red poppy relates ‘to the armed forces community specifically, but not exclusively, and acknowledges the wider impact of conflict’.

It also defines Remembrance Day as recognising ‘the sacrifice of the Armed Forces community from Britain and the Commonwealth’ and the ‘innocent civilians who have lost their lives in conflict and acts of terrorism’.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... poppy.html
Jimgward

Re: Remembrance Day to be inclusive of 'all modern Britain'

Post by Jimgward »

Personally, I don't agree with that. It is a 'remmebrance' charity that is being pushed to becoming what it never was supposed to be. It's now ridiculous when you have websites and social media groups trying to 'spot' someone on TV not wearing a poppy. It's being used now as propaganda, in my opinion.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I agree. The poppy day appeal is now a joke in the UK. Not the appeal itself, but the way councils compete to see how many poppies they can display all over the place. They stay there for weeks before the rain washes them away.

A few years ago I put a poppy in the butts of an abandoned range in Ash Ranges. It is tucked in a nook where squaddies from the first and second world war would have stood, and probably gets seen by the occasional adventurous dog walker. It's been there a few years now, and it was very tatty the last time I checked up on it.

I just wish the powers that be had shown so much interest in the vets when they were alive and in need of care and support. It seems a bit shallow to only give a damn once most of them have died.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, it’s a shame this has happened. I agree with what you said, Jim GW. It was and should remain a way of commemorating service personnel who made the ultimate sacrifice.Often having acted with incredible fortitude and bravery on active service with HM military forces.
And not made Remembrance Sunday ‘All inclusive ‘. Why not have a different day for
non military remembrance?
Dee