Latest from the BHC

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Latest from the BHC

Post by Dominic »

I’m sure you will have seen in the news recently that the Ministry of Interior has published a document which details the residence rights of UK nationals that will apply in the event of a No Deal Brexit.

Link to our Facebook page here: UkinCyprus MOI document

For those that don’t use Facebook, Link to news article here: In Cyprus News
https://in-cyprus.com/ministry-publishe ... r8wnEt_nmo

And a link to the Ministry of Interior document here: Residents Rights No Deal Scenario
http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/moi.nsf/All/6 ... 202019.pdf

As always, we continue to recommend that people formalize their residency status at the earliest opportunity and reiterate the fact that old brown ARC books, stamps in passports & old Immigration Permits issued pre Cyprus joining the EU are obsolete.

General Consular enquiries from the public can be sent to the British High Commission using this web form: Contact Us
https://www.contact-embassy.service.gov ... Nicosia%20
Enquiries re GESY: GESY contact centre
https://www.gesy.org.cy/sites/Sites?d=D ... tcenterghs
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Re: Latest from the BHC

Post by Jimgward »

Somehow, I get the impression that there are loads who haven't applied, for whatever reason .....
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Some are in the firm belief that BREXIT is not going to happen. I have at persuaded my friend who was given the legal right to live in Cyprus 30 years ago, that she must apply for the MEU(3). Appointment next week.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I did post in the politics section that the UK are threatening to expel EU Citizens not registered by 2020. The EU stated they will reciprocate any actions by the UK so it's imperative that ALL UK citizens register for either an MU1 or MU3 if possible.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:44 pm Somehow, I get the impression that there are loads who haven't applied, for whatever reason .....
At a guess, its people working cash in hand etc etc, not registered with the social security office... the ones who think laws dont apply to them.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Otherwise known as illegal immigrants.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:15 am There will also be tens of thousands who don't subscribe to expat forums and/or take an interest in current affairs and for whom life just carries on as normal.

In the event of a No Deal, this could be the harsh reality if EU countries treat UK expats as the UK government seems intent on treating EU citizens: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/britons-europ ... 47721.html
Theres no excuse really, most expats over here mix with other expats, so they will know whats going on re brexit/registering, there are quite a few who duck and dive as Arthur Daley would say, they work cash in hand and go under the radar, whether here or back in the UK, the Irony is these people are the usually the first ones who moan about immigrants back in the UK taking their jobs, not integrating into society, etc etc.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I firmly believe that a lot of those who are not yet registered are the senior/very old codgers. They do not have Smart Phones or the internet. They are the ones that if you can help them to register then please do so. We have helped a couple who were totally out of the picture.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:38 am Those are precisely the people I'm meaning Lincoln.
But I doubt very much, there would be tens of thousands of them?
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We met someone who had been told that they had residency years ago when they first bought here, and thought it was still valid. They are swallows, like us, but do stay for over 90 days in a 180 day period, so, officially, might need a visa. Our present cycle of stays is over 90 days in 180 for the first part of the year, but less than 90 out of 180 for the second part.
TandC

Post by TandC »

So why not get an MEU1?