Parliament guarantees rights of UK nationals for GMI and employee rights

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Parliament guarantees rights of UK nationals for GMI and employee rights

Post by Paphos Life »

Two regulations guaranteeing the rights of UK nationals living in Cyprus were passed by the House plenum on Friday.The first regulation guarantees that UK nationals who by the date of Brexit, set for October 31, are beneficiaries of a guaranteed minimum income (GMI), will retain the right to continue receiving the benefit after the UK???s exit from the EU....

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: Parliament guarantees rights of UK nationals for GMI and employee rights

Post by trevnhil »

Can someone give it to us in plain speak ..
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I understand it to mean there will have to be a proof of a guaranteed minimum income which is either your UK Government old age pension, personal employment / salaried position in Cyprus or private pension income.

Basically, I assume there's an amount which is required to be met to provide adequate supported income to live in Cyprus or any of the other countries which are using the scheme. That's my guess anyway.... as Cyprus must have its own method to decide how its own nationals can afford to live without supplementary benefits.

There's a whole .pdf file here through this link about GMI and the various countries who enforce it - just open the file and then use CTRL F keys and type GMI for the 6 parts of the document where it is mentioned:
https://bit.ly/314IEFK
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Mark

Post by Mark »

Think this refers to GMI paid by the Cyprus government to the less well off.

This is a fairly recent means tested benefit Julie, and I think started after you left Cyprus.