New handheld devices for Paphos traffic wardens

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

New handheld devices for Paphos traffic wardens

Post by Paphos Life »

Paphos traffic wardens have entered a "new era" of digital technology as state-of-the-art handheld devices will soon go into operation, the municipality said....

Read the article and chat about it below...
J B

Re: New handheld devices for Paphos traffic wardens

Post by J B »

Haven't clicked on the link - does it contain adult content?

:lol:
J B
JimX

Post by JimX »

I think James was jesting Lloyd..
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Although I don't live in Paphos town, I do go there a few times a week.. It seems quite rare to see a traffic warden down there. I wonder if other members have seen them regularly issuing tickets...
In fact I have seen the Police issuing parking tickets more regularly..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There are some. When I was getting data on all the blue flag beaches I had to rely on the carparks. I soon made a point of always getting a ticket because I noticed a traffic warden dishing them out on the first two carparks I visited.

They are dirt cheap anyway, not like the UK.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I very rarely use the car parks.. But I do see many illegally parked vehicles all over the streets of the town..
Trev..
boycott

Post by boycott »

Today I became the proud owner of an €8 parking ticket here in sunny Limassol.

No fancy handheld wifi machine, just good old fashioned hand written ticket, also having the wrong address to pay the fine.
Speaking to the issuing traffic warden (A sergeant no less) he said that the local communities have realised how much money can be made from parking fines so hence he is been encouraged to dish out as many tickets as possible.

Also many car parks are now becoming gated entry and pay your ticket to get the barrier open on the way out. Trouble with that is that many cars are been abandoned (sorry parked) on the nearby streets upsetting the local resident who now cannot park outside their own premises.

As an aside (and sorry the Brexit word is used) the traffic warden offered an opinion that the UK was doing the right thing in leaving the EU and that Cyprus should do the same!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, there is so much bad parking around Paphos. I wish the police would intervene sometimes especially when a vehicle is parked so as to be a danger to both pedestrians and other drivers. Or traffic wardens could go round ticketing those cars parked on pedestrian crossings, at road junctions, pavements and in positions where they are obstructing other traffic.Issuing tickets in car parks maybe an easier/more lucrative option.
Dee
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

It's all very well issuing tickets, but will it make any difference to the mindlessness of some who possibly don't care and/or don't pay anyway!?
boycott

Post by boycott »

mike strand2 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:13 pm It's all very well issuing tickets, but will it make any difference to the mindlessness of some who possibly don't care and/or don't pay anyway!?
It was my bad that I didn't pay, I knew it was a pay car park but in my defense I have parked there 5 days a week for the last 12 years and never have paid (along with all the other cars there).
At present I am €2 x 5 days a week times, 52 weeks a year times, 12 years parking so am €6240 minus €8 (fine today) in credit.

Also the other 21 cars in the car park, all had not paid and received tickets!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:06 am Although I don't live in Paphos town, I do go there a few times a week.. It seems quite rare to see a traffic warden down there. I wonder if other members have seen them regularly issuing tickets...
In fact I have seen the Police issuing parking tickets more regularly..
The wardens are there however the reason that most people cannot see them is that they are sat in the cafe having a coffee and smoking a cigarette
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:13 pm It's all very well issuing tickets, but will it make any difference to the mindlessness of some who possibly don't care and/or don't pay anyway!?
Trust me if you dont pay, you will have them knocking on your door, with a bigger fine or court summon, its happened to me a couple of time, and if anyone doesn't believe me, next time you get a fine, ignore it, then let the rest of us, know the result.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

WHL wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:03 pm
Trust me if you dont pay, you will have them knocking on your door, with a bigger fine or court summon, its happened to me a couple of time, and if anyone doesn't believe me, next time you get a fine, ignore it, then let the rest of us, know the result.
I read somewhere (probably CM) that the courts are so overloaded that they are presently clearing cases from 5-6 years ago!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wonder if it would help if they worked the hours a tradesman does...
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:33 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:03 pm
I read somewhere (probably CM) that the courts are so overloaded that they are presently clearing cases from 5-6 years ago!
They will be at your door in months, why would anyone ignore them, then have a big fine on top, even if it takes years ( which I doubt is the case re motoring fines ))
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

boycott wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:57 pm
It was my bad that I didn't pay, I knew it was a pay car park but in my defense I have parked there 5 days a week for the last 12 years and never have paid (along with all the other cars there).
At present I am €2 x 5 days a week times, 52 weeks a year times, 12 years parking so am €6240 minus €8 (fine today) in credit.

Also the other 21 cars in the car park, all had not paid and received tickets!
Methinks you are well named! You brat. 🤣😂😃😁😅

Maggie B