Road tax

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
El tel

Road tax

Post by El tel »

Can anyone clarify if you receive a discount on your road tax if you have owned your vehicle for a certain length of time or you have reached a certain age. Read something about this some years ago but cannot find any information. I have owned my car for 12 years and are over 70. Many thanks .

Terry
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Road tax

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The road tax for my new electric car (SUV,plug-in hybrid) will be 30 Euro for the full next year, so I am now no more bothered about high road tax which was quite a lot for 2 small cars I had before(450 Euro).

There was a law in the past as far as I know that after 10 years you had to pay less road tax for your old banger. But that is hopefully outdated nowadays.

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

El Tel,
The answer to your question is no. I am also in the same age group as you and also
run an 11yr old car. I have never been offered any discount! It’s wishful thinking....

You need a similar type of car to Max to get the discount. Otherwise the no of cc’s of your car, plus its emission rate is how road tax is calculated.

Dee
El tel

Post by El tel »

Thanks for the responses , I think it was the 10 year rule that I remember but I have to agree it is not exactly eco friendly.

Terry
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

The rule for a reduced road tax is 30 years old .They will ask you to take the car in for inspection and issue your car with a equivalent of a passport. it should also give you a reduction on your insurance..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There are vehicles about that are over 30 yrs old.. I saw a pickup the other day with new style plates on it and the year was 88.. It was in tip top condition and I asked the old guy driving it how many mile it had on the clock, and he told me 125,000. Well done to him if he gets a reduction in his road tax payment .
Trev..
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

The vehicle has to be registered 30 years ago or before..Mine was registered in 1987 and driving fantastic!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Is that the age which qualifies a vehicle to be called a ‘classic’? If so there is a thriving Paphos Classic Car Club whose members own and drive on occasion such vehicles. They also take great pride in restoring them and keeping them in tip top condition...

Dee
El tel

Post by El tel »

I will be dead by then.

Terry
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

I think the ten year rule is when you have owned a tax-free car for ten years or more and then sell it, you no longer have to reimburse the tax people.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Clive, that sounds right! We had 2 tax/duty free vehicles at one time. I sold mine when it reached 10 yrs old to avoid paying back the excise duty...

Dee