Healthy stuff at Lidl's, fair price..

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Healthy stuff at Lidl's, fair price..

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Recently Lidl is stocking more Bio and healthy stuff like 100% pure pomegranate and apple juice.
1/2 l of the pomegranate is 1.49 and can be found in the cooling shelves for 1.49 Euro
1 l Bio Apple juice is placed near soft drinks and below 2 Euro

Both taste nice for me and specially the pomegranate is much cheaper than the Cypriot one in tiny glass bottles...

Max
Anarita John

Re: Healthy stuff at Lidl's, fair price..

Post by Anarita John »

We get the fresh orange juice from the cool shelves and it is as good as the Californian juice we get in the UK.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We make our own FRESH orange juice.
All things are possible
Varky

Post by Varky »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 pm We make our own FRESH orange juice.
Bully for you. What do you want.....a medal? :lol:
kansas

Post by kansas »

Most bread has some sugar in it
kansas

Post by kansas »

I've just looked at the product information on the Eviva Orange juice we buy from Lidl. It says 100% natural orange juice.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Tasted the freshly squeezed orange juice they were touting in Lidl's the other day. It was lovely. However, the only oranges that were on display were not for sale as they were being reserved for the juicer. Lidl's lost a sale there because my friend wanted fresh oranges ...
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:53 pm Some years ago we used to buy fruit juices, thinking what could be healthier...naturally squeezed fruit. Then discovered the amount of sugar that was added to them. Don't buy them any more. Don't know if this applies to the Lidl juices.
By EU-law a drink sold as "juice" must not have sugar added. You might have bought "nectar".
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes there is a difference between "juice", "juice drink" and "nectar".
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:53 pm Some years ago we used to buy fruit juices, thinking what could be healthier...naturally squeezed fruit. Then discovered the amount of sugar that was added to them. Don't buy them any more. Don't know if this applies to the Lidl juices.
I was not talking about Lidl fruit juices in general as my topic was: Healthy stuff and in particular Bio Apple juice and 100% pomegranate juice. According to Glycemic Index both of these juices have a low figure which is the most important if one looks after his sugar intake.
The figures on the box are 10.5 g/100ml and 12g/100ml fruit sugar.

short explanation: The glycemic index (GI) is a measure of the effect carbohydrates have on blood glucose levels. Understanding the GI values of specific foods can help reduce harmful spikes in blood sugar, as sugars and carbohydrates are broken down and your metabolism releases insulin to aid in digestion. Limiting your intake of high GI foods is a first-step towards controlling your cravings, increasing energy, and weight loss.
(full website: https://www.glycemicedge.com/glycemic-index-chart/

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PW in Polemi wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:41 am Tasted the freshly squeezed orange juice they were touting in Lidl's the other day. It was lovely. However, the only oranges that were on display were not for sale as they were being reserved for the juicer. Lidl's lost a sale there because my friend wanted fresh oranges ...
It is not the time of the year for fresh oranges in Cyprus. Available are only "Jaffa", the latest orange in season before they go off...
So Lidl got obviously some tons offered for juice.

I prefer not to buy Cypriot oranges for juice as they are heavy treated with pesticides and not many farmers growing them organic.

Max
Ex organic citrus-farmer