Airlines,how can they fall for this?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Airlines,how can they fall for this?

Post by Chaddy »

We recently flew from Doha to Larnaca.We don't have the funds available as Bill Gates or Richard Branson have but our guilty pleasure is to fly business class.Waiting to board,the usual anouncement came " disabled and business class passengers may now board first"
A gentleman ( lets call him Mr C ) was pushed up in a wheel chair ,first on the plane, by a member of staff right to his seat,was assisted to sit down,,row 1 business class.We followed Mr C and sat right behind him.Important to know the business class cabin was only half full.
We landed in Larnaca the seat belt sign went off and Mr C leapt from his seat and had no difficulty lifting down his huge cabin luggage.
When the aircraft doors opened a disabled Mr C left the aircraft first and proceeded unassisted to head for baggage reclaim at a speed,on foot, that would have put Linford Christie to shame'.
As the business class cabin was only half full,,,,,had he been upgraded because of his "disability " or is it my suspicious mind? :roll:
How can airlines fall for this :o
WHL

Re: Airlines,how can they fall for this?

Post by WHL »

I doubt if the airline would upgrade you just because you need assistance, never been to Doha, so I dont know how large the terminal is, but it could be this passenger didn't fancy walking on to the plane..... anyone whos been to schiphol Amsterdam might have some sympathy with him.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It happens a lot on UK flights too. Seen it at Manchester where they're in a wheelchair getting all the assistance possible then scarper at the resort end.
We had one in our hotel in Benidorm last year who was fine when we saw her in the hotel and wandering around the café bars nearby but was in a wheelchair at Alicante airport, and we were at a Resort Check-in hotel so no need to do anything at the airport except go through security.
As soon as the plane landed at Manchester she was up and off with the rest of them to the baggage reclaim.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The main reason they do it is to get through the security check at the airport more quickly, I would imagine.

But karma can be a bitch.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Use see it regularly on the Manchester Paphos EasyJet flight when it was free seating and a fight to get on the plane first to get the best seats. Not seen it now that seats are allocated as often the disabled passengers are loaded last.

However, I had this situation happen the other way. When I used to have angina, I was struggling walking through the zigzags to immigration at Paphos and the lady behind me told me to get a move on or get an effing wheelchair.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

The trouble is that when you are really disabled and need assistance, other passengers and some staff, seem to suspect that you're using assistance without just cause.

I was flying into Manchester in December some years ago, I had only been allowed to walk on crutches the week before, after being in a wheelchair for months. I had requested assistance, but upon arrival at Manchester the people who should have helped me, insisted that I walked across an icy gantry into the lift. I protested that I was terrified of falling, but they insisted, luckily the Captain heard the conversation, came to my aid, and asked if I would walk assisted by her, I agreed. Once inside the lift she asked the men responsible for their names, told them that she had heard the full conversation and hat she would be would be reporting them.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Chaddy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 am We recently flew from Doha to Larnaca.We don't have the funds available as Bill Gates or Richard Branson have but our guilty pleasure is to fly business class.Waiting to board,the usual anouncement came " disabled and business class passengers may now board first"
A gentleman ( lets call him Mr C ) was pushed up in a wheel chair ,first on the plane, by a member of staff right to his seat,was assisted to sit down,,row 1 business class.We followed Mr C and sat right behind him.Important to know the business class cabin was only half full.
We landed in Larnaca the seat belt sign went off and Mr C leapt from his seat and had no difficulty lifting down his huge cabin luggage.
When the aircraft doors opened a disabled Mr C left the aircraft first and proceeded unassisted to head for baggage reclaim at a speed,on foot, that would have put Linford Christie to shame'.
As the business class cabin was only half full,,,,,had he been upgraded because of his "disability " or is it my suspicious mind? :roll:
How can airlines fall for this :o
Not all disabilities are visible....maybe they had issues about flying, we offer boarding first or last in the case of anxiety or people with autism/Aspergers syndrome
If the PAX needed a wheelchair then they SHOULD NOT be in row one as it’s usually an escape route

I too have seen this done to get preference when seating, however I now work for an airline and holiday company and know that not everything is as it seems sometimes
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I now use SA whenever I fly. I have difficulty standing for a long time, although I can walk without too much of a problem. However, the SA crew will almost always want to put you in wheelchair. I guess too, the chair is a boon in some airports when the boarding gate is half a mile away. Stairs too are my problem so I do appreciate the ambulift. Recent experience was that SA certainly didn't get me on board first: quite the opposite in fact.

I'm sure there are folk who are frauds, but remember not all SA passengers have conditions that are obvious to a casual observer!
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

The trouble with assistance there is no half measures, you either take the wheel chair or you walk, my wife and many people like her can walk a reasonable distance and she can manage arrival at Paphos but at Manchester if forced to queue at check in, then customs, then walk through Duty free she would be in severe pain and would end up in bed for the first 2 or 3 days of our holiday.
When we are fit we do not realise how lucky we are and do not notice the distance we might wander without pain but having seen both sides I can assure you most people that take special assistance need it and wish they did not, they would love to peruse duty free and your suspicions deeply upset honest users so please talk amongst yourselves not in public.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

glang3000 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:00 pm The trouble with assistance there is no half measures, you either take the wheel chair or you walk, my wife and many people like her can walk a reasonable distance and she can manage arrival at Paphos but at Manchester if forced to queue at check in, then customs, then walk through Duty free she would be in severe pain and would end up in bed for the first 2 or 3 days of our holiday.
When we are fit we do not realise how lucky we are and do not notice the distance we might wander without pain but having seen both sides I can assure you most people that take special assistance need it and wish they did not, they would love to peruse duty free and your suspicions deeply upset honest users so please talk amongst yourselves not in public.
So true, it’s a long way to walk at Manchester, and even further when landing and walking from aircraft stand to the carousel in the airport ☹️
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re Manchester.... And up the stairs...... and down the stairs....
Trev..
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 pm Re Manchester.... And up the stairs...... and down the stairs....
I know Trev, I always feel I’ve walked the last 2 miles of the journey..oh the joy of budget airlines
J B

Post by J B »

Sadie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:28 pm
trevnhil wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 pm Re Manchester.... And up the stairs...... and down the stairs....
I know Trev, I always feel I’ve walked the last 2 miles of the journey..oh the joy of budget airlines
I always feel it's good to stretch your legs after a long flight .... :lol:
J B
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Just been talking to an airline employee about this and she tells me they are almost sure this goes on with people faking or overexaggerating their dissability.However she says there is very little they can do about it.How on earth can you go up to someone and ask them to prove the extent of their disability.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:52 pm Just been talking to an airline employee about this and she tells me they are almost sure this goes on with people faking or overexaggerating their dissability.However she says there is very little they can do about it.How on earth can you go up to someone and ask them to prove the extent of their disability.
Maybe get a certificate from a Dr, stating the person needs assistance, the same way as a blue badge?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Good idea, but I think you would have to pay for a certificate from a Dr.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Paul

Post by Paul »

For over 20 years I have had Arthritis in my right knee.
And in all that time I have never asked for assistance to get on or off an aircraft!
The problem with me that if I sit for along time my knee will not straiten out for about 30 seconds and I have a limp for a few minuets till the joint starts to work properly. Then I am Fine but I still get pain from the joint when walking at times.
Do I complain NO I just live with it.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:48 pm Good idea, but I think you would have to pay for a certificate from a Dr.
If it stops the scammers then it might be worth it.