Is there anywhere like Latchi on the Eastern side?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
paulaf

Is there anywhere like Latchi on the Eastern side?

Post by paulaf »

Hi,
We've been going to Latchi for years and love it's simplicity and how relaxing it is, but we fancy a change. We've never been to the Eastern side so can anyone recommend anywhere similar over there please, with maybe a natural harbour and tavernas alongside and smaller than Paphos as that is it a little too built up and busy for us? We would still like to visit late September as the weather is so good. Thanks
STELIOSBWFC

Re: Is there anywhere like Latchi on the Eastern side?

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Id say pan handle. But I like esentpe and love kyrenia. The whole Island is lovely just go explore if you have time
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Is panhandle a town or an area please? I've looked at Google Earth but i don't know where to start! Not sure we want to go to the north side.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It’s in the north east of the island. Its called the Karpas peninsula which juts out into the sea. You will need to cross the border into the Turkish part of the island. It has a town and several villages.
If you go there out of the main tourist season you will probably find somewhere to stay.
You can take a privately owned car there, but not a hire car.

Dee
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Thanks but I meant to stay for 2 weeks not a day trip.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Have a look at Zygi it’s between Limassol and Larnaca it’s the nearest I can think is similar to Latchi
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

There is nothing like Latchi at the Eastern end. However, I could just be wrong as I only visited it there to explore. Suggest you contact the Eastern Forum; http://www.easterncyprus.com/viewforum. ... cbe9510387
All things are possible
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Thanks all, yes I noticed Potamos but it's quite small. Maybe I'll investigate Kyrenia for another time if I can get my head around the transfer issues from Larnaca. How does Kyrenia compare to Latchi?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

The closest place similar to Latchi on the East coast would most likely be Pernera - it's still fairly small and hasn't expanded like some of the other tourist resorts around Ayia Napa. I would have originally said Paralimni but it's really grown since I first spent time there in the late 1980s.
Google map link: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Per ... 34.0334988

There's a video here from 2016 which gives you a bit of an idea:

From there, you can visit Ayia Napa, Paralimni, Protaras and don't forget to visit the Viewpoint at Deryneia where you can look across to the occupied areas of Famagusta.

There is also tourism in Deryneia now too, which will be much more laid back: https://www.visitfamagusta.com.cy/en/de ... yneia.html
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

paulaf wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:35 pm Thanks all, yes I noticed Potamos but it's quite small. Maybe I'll investigate Kyrenia for another time if I can get my head around the transfer issues from Larnaca. How does Kyrenia compare to Latchi?
We went and stayed overnight at the British Hotel and had 2 of the rooms with balconies which look out over the pretty little harbour of Kyrenia.

Kyrenia has a number of little restaurants dotted around the harbour and the place is more lively in the evening than daytime as most of the holidaymakers tend to stay around the pool or on the beach rather than wander round the harbour. The wooden Turkish style "gullet" sailing boats are fabulous.
It's quiet and I could see us spending 2 or 3 nights in Kyrenia itself but once you've got away from the harbour, little else is developed - except for the building work (yes, just like in the south) of concrete apartment blocks and hotels along the coast.

Many of the hotels are like small resorts and are tucked back off the roads which lead down into Kyrenia itself.

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Not sure how much they charge for the insurance nowadays to take a vehicle through to the north.... we did it every time when we used to go to Kyrenia from Limassol so went through the crossing by the racecourse in Nicosia but when the prices started to creep up, we stopped and used to go through on foot and either take a taxi or the bus.
kansas

Post by kansas »

We go to the eastern side twice a year. We stay in Larnaca sometimes and other times in Ayia Napa (off season). From Ayia Napa you can explore all of the seaside areas up to Famagusta, and there are some lovely beaches on the way. You can cross over the border easily to have lunch, and/or to do some shopping. It makes a great change......
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

There are NO little harbours with tavernas quayside similar to Latchi over here in the east. the one at Potamos mentioned above has 2 fish restaurants and no accommodation.There are a couple of fishing shelters at Ayia Triada and Golden Coast (Protaras) but again no accommodation and no tavernas around the jetties.
I've been here for 15 years and have never found the quaint picture postcard harbour with fishing boats, old boys mending nets and tavernas that are more typical of the Greek Islands and north coast Med countries,