Adding spouses name to vehicle log book.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Adding spouses name to vehicle log book.

Post by Jim B »

I know this is an old questìon and I've trawled through old posts trying to find the answer without success.
Has anyone added their spouses name to a vehicles log book. I know it can be done and think it can be done at the Citizens Advice but just looking for clarification.

Many Thanks

Jim
LouiseCastricum

Re: Adding spouses name to vehicle log book.

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Yes we did this, but many years ago. We had to go to the Transport Office near the Mesoyi road and of course also change our car insurance accordingly.
Louise :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have done this at the citizens centre, but you do have to have the car insurance issued in Both names.. Or you did in February of this year..
Trev..
emgee

Post by emgee »

When my wife died, both our joint-ownership cars went into probate and I could not sell either until the Probate service said so. I think the Executor of the Will had to sign a document given to us by them. We did it at the Citizens Advice, very helpful staff.

Alan
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

Yes as an overseas visitor with a car for use in Cyprus by ourselves and family. We altered the log book to include both spouses details and also the car insurance was altered to both names. we did this at the citizens advice bureau in Pathos last April. No problems done very quickly. We had to take a ticket numbered and we were called in our turn. The morning session was packed so we opted to go back in the afternoon when it was quiet and were in and out within 30 minutes. Insurance was easy with Atlantic and a new cover note issued straight away. It solves the problem of when a partner dies and the car is not allowed to be used by the other until probate is over.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That seems to defeat what appears to be the prime object of having 2 owners of the car. ie if one dies the other person can sell it..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ah I understand now :-)
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:16 am
trevnhil wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:54 am That seems to defeat what appears to be the prime object of having 2 owners of the car. ie if one dies the other person can sell it..
No they can't - not until probate is completed. As joint owners they are allowed to drive it but NOT sell it.
A similar thing happened to me; my first wife died and the vehicle in her name was held in probate for over a year in a bonded warehouse.
I learnt three lessons from that, 1) have a Cypriot Will. 2) have the vehicles in both names. 3) make sure I had a Statutory Off-road Certificate.
I had to pay 18 months road tax, pay for over a years storage in the bonded warehouse and over a thousand Cypriot Pounds Solicitors fees to get the thing out of probate. A very expensive lesson.

Jim
emgee

Post by emgee »

Austin 7

Probate took 13 months, held up by downsizing the UK Probate Service offices which administer the issue of Grant Certificates and them running out of sealed sheets of paper which cost GBP130.00, blank. Villa took 12 months to complete. You can't transfer Premium Bonds and any holdings exceeding 5K in value must have an appropriate authorisation from the Probate Service before being paid out.

My advice is that if you are very ill is to sell whilst you are alive.

Alan
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

If one half of a partnership has half of the car in their name it would be as well putting the car in the name of the fitter / healthier person.. The same goes for property in joint names..
Trev..
emgee

Post by emgee »

trevnhil

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I agree with what you have written.

Alan
Susanna

Post by Susanna »

The insurance policy on our vehicle is in my name with my husband as a named driver. Does anyone know if this is sufficient for adding him on to the log book please?

Sue.
emgee

Post by emgee »

You will have to ask your Insurance Company, bearing in mind that they are in business to make money and nothing is simple in Cyprus.

Alan
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Susanna wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:50 am The insurance policy on our vehicle is in my name with my husband as a named driver. Does anyone know if this is sufficient for adding him on to the log book please?

Sue.
As far as I know that is not sufficient.. We have changed both vehicles to have both names on the log books. We had to have the insurance document showing that two people were listed as owning the car.

But to be honest, the best thing to do is to go to the Citizens Centre and ask at the front desk showing them your paperwork..
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I went into Abbeygate the other day and they changed the insurance certificates on two of our vehicles in to dual names. We received e-mail pdf copies.
No cost as far as I'm aware.

Jim
emgee

Post by emgee »

Jim B

That does not make you owners though, just insured to drive the vehicle?

Alan
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

When you take the joint Insurance certificate to the Citizens centre you would be able to make the car Joint Ownership.
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Alan, Trev
Yes I understand that, it's the first step I believe and next I'll go in with the log books.

Thanks

Jim
Susanna

Post by Susanna »

Thank you for the information. First stop is Abbeygate, then citizens advice.