Ministry publishes ‘no deal’ Brexit guide for Britons living in Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Ministry publishes ‘no deal’ Brexit guide for Britons living in Cyprus

Post by memory man »

A 13 page document drafted by Cyprus’ Interior Ministry and posted on its website explains the procedures that will apply in the event that the United Kingdom leaves the European Union without an agreement.

Entitled “Residence rights and residence documents in the Republic of Cyprus in a ‘no deal’ scenario”, the paper sets out how Cyprus intends to protect, even in a case of a ‘no deal’ scenario, the residence rights of United Kingdom (UK) nationals and their family members, including family members who are third country nationals, in view of the UK leaving the European Union (EU).

https://in-cyprus.com/ministry-publishe ... in-cyprus/
bromerzz

Re: Ministry publishes ‘no deal’ Brexit guide for Britons living in Cyprus

Post by bromerzz »

Cut and paste from section 2.2.4 of the document quoted

<The process will be straightforward for those UK nationals and their family members who are holders of a Certificate of Registration, Residence Card or Certificate/Card of Permanent Residence (so-called yellow slips). To keep documentary evidence to a minimum, holders of these residence documents, must apply for the new residence document from 1.1.2021, and will not need to submit anything else with their application other than a valid passport as proof of identity.>

So that implies they will treat the MEU 1 and MEU 3 the same when it comes to 1.1.2021. The MEU 3 has no more importance than the MEU 1. Holders of either will still have to apply for the new residence document. Or am i missing something.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

It reads that way to me bromerzz , MEU1 and Meu3 both the same when it comes time for the new document .
TandC

Post by TandC »

Might be an admin issue.

Noew docs not issued until 1.1.21,and existing docs valid only to 31.12.20.

What happens if you are back in UK for Christmas 2020 as many are,and dont return till well into the new year. I assume there will be a period of grace?
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

This seems to confirm that there will likely be no transition period for those of us who won't be resident in Cyprus by the time the UK leaves the EU.

"UK citizens, who want to come to Cyprus after the date UK is leaving the EU, will need to adhere to Cyprus immigration rules/policy."

Given we are not planning on moving over until Oct next year, I think I need to start looking at what we will need to do to get residency.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

All seems pretty straightforward. As long as you’re papers are in order, you’re fine and there’s still time to apply for current forms after 31/10. They seem to be putting both MEU1 and 3 under the broad heading of Residence Documents and under the new system from 2021 simplifying things a little by calling one Residence and one Permanent Residence. The question I‘m asking my elf, is that given my MEU1 reaches its 5th birthday in December 2020, do I apply for one of the last MEU3s to be issued which will probably Expire on 31/12/20 - before I or wait until post 1st January 2012 for the new style document. i wouldn’t be surprised if there an outbreak of common sense in late 2020 when they tell people to stop making appointments for MEU3 and wait until the new one is live. Perhaps applications for MEU3 that are ‘ in flight’ as at 31/12/20 will be issued as the new form. An exciting 14 months of speculation and online debate of who knows best is looming.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Might be worth asking Immigration that question, Ian...
Or Gwenny.