From Holland to the Netherlands

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

From Holland to the Netherlands

Post by Jim B »

I thought this may interest Louise. I always referred to the country as the Netherlands, not Holland.

Jim

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... 1570196975
LouiseCastricum

Re: From Holland to the Netherlands

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Yes that's correct. The country was always called The Netherlands, only the two provinces at the west are called Holland. And I'm from Holland (Amsterdam).
Louise :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

We have family in Amsterdam, love the place not in winter thou
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:56 pm Wife and I love the Netherlands...and that's not just because Andre Rieu originates from there :D Love everything about the place.

The other day we read in the Cyprus Mail about the beautiful car-free village of Giethoorn in the Netherlands. Google it. Check out any YouTube videos you come across. We'd love to go there...and will!
It is indeed a lovely place to visit. I was there last August and it was really beautiful. But....... it might be quite busy with tourists.
Louise :)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Where we lived in West Lancashire there were two districts, one called Up Holland and the other Down Holland.
West Lancs is very like Holland in the Netherlands, very low lying land with windmills and drainage channels as much of the area is reclaimed from the sea.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:56 pm Wife and I love the Netherlands...and that's not just because Andre Rieu originates from there :D Love everything about the place.

The other day we read in the Cyprus Mail about the beautiful car-free village of Giethoorn in the Netherlands. Google it. Check out any YouTube videos you come across. We'd love to go there...and will!
Hi HIC like you we love Andre Rieu, and have been to many of his concerts in the Netherlands and in Europe, we have also visited all four corners of the country, we have also visited Giethoorn, like Keukenhof, the only way to describe these places is ' A piece of Heaven on Earth' the only problem with Giethoorn, it was a bit like the M25 on the day we were there, very busy, heres a link people might find interesting.

https://tassiedevilabroad.com/truth-abo ... giethoorn/
WHL

Post by WHL »

Thanks for posting them, great videos, regards Keukenhof, best advise is to get there when they open and avoid weekends, as it gets very busy, the first time we went, was because my wife wanted to go, im not much of a gardener, but the place blew us away, no other place on the planet comes close, a little bit of heaven on earth, comes to mind..... next to the gardens, are the fields of tulips growing, acres of different colours .....You tube it.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I used to fly in to Schipol around dawn once a month and the view of the tulip fields with the sun rising on them was breath taking. Keukenhof is amazing and the best time to visit is from around 20th March to the 20th May. As said by WHL, heaven on earth.

Jim
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Part of Lincolnshire is called Holland. The area is very flat and the fields are full every year with Daffodils.
All things are possible