operated without a licence last year

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: operated without a licence last year

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, agree with you HIC, seems completely unachievable. I wonder if this useless announcement was made to appease certain hoteliers who are trying to fill their hotels with guests? I guess that they are unhappy about the number of these air b’n’b rooms taking the bread from their mouths. Also these illegal operators aren’t paying any tax to Govt, so can offer lower prices...
Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

PhotoLady wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:26 pm It really doesn't surprise me at all....

Here's a little link for you to peruse..... it provides a .pdf file for each of the hotels / tourist establishments by location.
If you see the letter "L" by the side of the name, the property is licenced - if it has a letter "P" the licence is still Pending.
Better watch your Ps and Ls ;-)
https://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/e ... -pdf-lists
Thanks for that. I’ll certainly use that when people ask for hotels to stay. Shocking how few are licenced
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I was shocked too and its throughout all the *categories. Even among the 5* hotels in Paphos there were only 2 that had licenses. This included many hotels which have been open for business for a good number of years. I believe that the CTO was abolished last year because they apparently cost too much money without achieving the results expected of them. Obviously this also included not policing the licensing of the hotels, I believe that Inread in the CY Mail, this function was taken over by the Minister of Tourism (I think) who then delegated the job to his Assistant minister and probably he delegated it to someone else....
Dee
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

As far as I recall the CTO had been asking Parliament to resolve this situation for well over a decade.
Due to some of the issues involved it was agreed not to prosecute those hotels that did not have an
operating license.

Cheers

Steve
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:49 am And do folks remember a thread on this forum a few months ago where it was claimed that the Government would require all 10,000 AirB'n'B rental properties in Cyprus to be vetted and properly licenced before being permitted to operate?

I said at the time this was a complete nonsense and a completely unachievable objective. If Government can't properly licence, and ensure compliance with licensing laws for a few hundred hotels, what chance have they got with 10,000 individually owned AirB'n'B properties?
The law will give a three year transition period and as I understand it the onus will be on the owners to register and ensure they are compliant
with H&S regulations.

Cheers

Steve
Paul

Post by Paul »

My wife and I stopped in the Aqua Sol six months after it opened in 2000 and it is on the list as pending for a licence still!!
:o