The Paphos to Polis Motorway - Part 2

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

The Paphos to Polis Motorway - Part 2

Post by Dominic »

It's time for the concluding part of our look at the planned route of the new Paphos to Polis motorway. So join us as we take a bumpy trip from Minthis Hills to Stroumpi, climbing a mountain along the way to enjoy the view...

Read the article and chat about it below...

polis-motorway-part-2_masthead.jpg
polis-motorway-part-2_masthead.jpg (163.73 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
glowred

Re: The Paphos to Polis Motorway - Part 2

Post by glowred »

Thank you Dominic for your hard work a very interesting blog

Neil
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I enjoyed going down all those tracks. I explored an area I had been meaning to explore since I moved here but never got round to it.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Enjoyed your lovely photos from an area not easy to access. Specially in winter there is no way one can use that tracks, only farmers with proper tractors. I am also the opinion that even the new motorway will destroy some of the nature, it will showcase one of the nicest areas we have in Cyprus to everybody, not only for a few like you. It will be a tourist attraction on their way to the North West coast while the travelling for them will be much more comfortably and faster. Also for me it will be much nicer to drive in future that new motorway from the Kallepia junction to my favourite fish tavern at Timi beach instead going via Konia, Yeroskipou and all that airport traffic...

Max
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Remember all the moaners on the forums who objected to the duelling of the ToK road, it will be the same about this "highway" between Pafos and Polis. Once it's built how many won't use it I wonder? :roll:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I wouldn‘t be surprised if there was little traffic using the new motorway, once the novelty has worn off! It depends where the junctions, with the road network are situated But it will make the ‘old road’ which links the villages quieter too between Paphos , Tsada and Stroumpi. and much more pleasant to drive on - and probably quicker. But any heavy lorries who use the motorway will probably emerge again near the Stroumpi- Polemi junction so that would be busier. Unless the motorway is extended further.
Dee
oylero

Post by oylero »

Dominic, an excellent piece of research and publication. Thank you for this. I doubt that many readers would ever have ventured into the pastures new that you have travelled on this route. You called for comment. For one who did get to Part II, 10/10 I understand much more the topography now and appreciate your viewpoint about the motorway ultimately helping the bypassed villages. But motorways are generally built as routes to shorten and ease the journeys of long distance travellers. The motorway is a Project and all Projects must have a rationale whereby the costs (including disruption) are outweighed by the overall long term hard €€ and soft benefits. These must be measurable / quantifiable. For me, I have yet to see this justification analysis in independently produced cold hard numbers. If it exists, point me to it please. Until then I have to remain very sceptical as to its overall value for money.
OylerO
oylero
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Bearing in mind how dangerous the existing road is, Isn't the purpose of this road (misnamed motorway) to provide a safe route towards Polis?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

oylero wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:52 pm Dominic, an excellent piece of research and publication. Thank you for this. I doubt that many readers would ever have ventured into the pastures new that you have travelled on this route. You called for comment. For one who did get to Part II, 10/10 I understand much more the topography now and appreciate your viewpoint about the motorway ultimately helping the bypassed villages. But motorways are generally built as routes to shorten and ease the journeys of long distance travellers. The motorway is a Project and all Projects must have a rationale whereby the costs (including disruption) are outweighed by the overall long term hard €€ and soft benefits. These must be measurable / quantifiable. For me, I have yet to see this justification analysis in independently produced cold hard numbers. If it exists, point me to it please. Until then I have to remain very sceptical as to its overall value for money.
OylerO

What is a long distance traveller in Cyprus? The locals are very apologetic if a meeting means I have to drive from Polemi to Paphos. It takes all of 20 minutes, assuming there isn't a lorry slowing things down. And you can go from one end of the country to the other in a morning.

The benefits will be immeasurable to somewhere like Polis, and provide a significant boom to tourism there. The planned golf course, for instance, will be a lot more popular if there is a motorway to help the tourists get there more quickly, and safely.

As to cold, hard numbers, I presume they would all be in Greek.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

My reading is that this will be a single divided carriageway, though presumably with a breakdown hard shoulder. So, hardly a motorway, as no lane for overtaking, albeit possibly undertaking; literally!