Log fire

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

Log fire

Post by Paul »

Well it's done our log burner in installed.
We had a run around by people who were only interested if you got the fire from them.
well we had a recomendation in the village for someone who would do the job quick and cheap.
he came saturday for a look and fitted it next day.
The only price we where given was €250 without seeing the job.
Ayman did the job for a lot less!
We have his number if you need someone to do some work.
Paul
LouiseCastricum

Re: Log fire

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Quick and cheap is not always the best ;-)
Louise :)
darrow

Post by darrow »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:51 am Quick and cheap is not always the best ;-)
Neither is expensive and/or slow! Time will tell when it is being used. Remember you must get a carbon dioxide monitor. It can be lethal if you have a leak in the joins . :roll:
Paul

Post by Paul »

all of the joints are fitted with the lower one inside the upper one, this way the draw on the flue will stop any gases coming out of the pipes.
I may go around the jonts with some heat proof sealant some time before we use the fire!
Paul
WHL

Post by WHL »

Paul & Lesley wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:59 pm all of the joints are fitted with the lower one inside the upper one, this way the draw on the flue will stop any gases coming out of the pipes.
I may go around the jonts with some heat proof sealant some time before we use the fire!
Paul
Surely all the joints, should of been sealed, by the person who installed it?
kansas

Post by kansas »

Try it out as soon as it's cool enough to do so. If you have any problems I'm sure your installer will come round to rectify them. Not everyone is out to rip you off. Thankfully, there are some decent people around.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

One thing we learnt in our previous house, where we had a log burner, was to get a cowl or at least some netting for the chimney. We had a problem with small birds who managed to fall down the flue pipe. My husband heard noises from inside the log burner one morning. When he opened the doors he just managed to grab the small bird who flew out, He then released it outside.
It flew away... It was lucky not to get roasted inadvertently...
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As far as I know and can see on internet videos, the second pipe should go INSIDE the first pipe off the woodburner.. The third pipe should go inside the second one and so on until you get out through the roof.. And yes as mentioned before the joints should be sealed

Trev..