Archbishop: "We will build the hotel either next to the ancient

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Archbishop: "We will build the hotel either next to the ancient

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Interesting the speech of the Archbishop concerning the "billion dollar baby" near the beach at Yeroskipou: Google translation PaphosPress

Archbishop: "We will build the hotel either next to the ancient or on the ancient" (INTERVIEW)
From
Pafos Press -
September 29, 2019

The Archbishop of Cyprus Chrysostomos gave an interview in all the material to be discussed in the Sunday newspaper Simerini. (READ ALL THE INTERVIEW HERE)

Speaking to colleague Michalis Papadopoulos, Cyprus Chrysostomos referred to the Cyprus issue, the economy, education and the financial crisis.

He also spoke of the Archbishopric's investment in Geroskipou saying that two things can be done: One proposal is to build the hotel out of the area where the ancients extend and the second to build the whole piece so that they can be protected and to highlight the antiquities. But if the first option is chosen, I want to make it clear to everyone that I will in no way deprive the Church of its property. In this case, the remaining piece must be expropriated. We, the hotel will build it either next to the ancient or on the ancient, in a way that makes it stand out.

Read below the interview point regarding the planned investment in Geroskipou.

Blessedly, I would like to ask you about the issue of investing in Geroskipou, which has provoked a lot of reactions, but also a heated debate between the Church and the Department of Antiquities. Where is the issue right now?

What happens is that they are all motorized. Some did not want to invest in Geroskipou. That's why, from 13 until today, it's been six years, we haven't been able to get a permit for many reasons. All the seafronts of Paphos, from the Chloraka area to the airport were inhabited, are the Tombs of the Kings, Kato Paphos is a large archaeological site. All of the hotels built below were ancient. The least of them had the space to the airport, which was outside the city. But they were insignificant. If they found Aphrodite, I'd say it's worth it. So, without asking us, the Department of Antiquities proclaimed the monument B 'Table. When I was informed, I called the head of the Department of Antiquities and asked her what this action was, without even informing the Church, as they were required, under the Constitution, to ask us. I have indicated to her, and precisely, that the property of the Church is protected by the Constitution and without being asked can not be declared a monument, inviting it, at the same time, to revoke the decision by sending a revised decision to the Council of Ministers. The head of the Department declined, leaving us no choice but to turn to the Attorney General, and he was done. The Attorney General ruled that the action was abnormal, and we returned to the constitutional order, while we, for our part, told the Department that it could not continue to be within the Church's property. In a new meeting we had with Mrs. Ieronimidou, we suggested that the Department could continue excavations in the area, but the Church would proceed to exploit the field, always respecting antiquities.

We are guardians of the Church's property

At the same time, we have made it clear that we cannot in any way deprive the Church of its property. We also mentioned to her that, although the land is not expropriated, we can allow the expropriation. According to estimates of the Land Registry, the value of this field amounts to € 95 million. The matter was taken to the highest government level, where it was ruled that it was impossible to expropriate. Since then, our position has been clear: We will respect and highlight the antiquities, through the proper construction of space. And we cite the example of the Acropolis Museum, where antiquities are highlighted through the installation of glass surfaces, etc., and the Athens subway. So we said that we will build and, where the ancient ones are, we will shape the space in such a way that they will not only not be affected, but will ideally appear. If a hotel were built there, it could be the lobby at that point and our foreigners would drink their coffee and admire the antiquities, as in other Paphos hotels. Unfortunately, he refused again. Then, we were forced to point out that we would not allow the Department to enter the site, even if we did not implement the investment planning. But everyone should know that, unless the investment is built right now, after two or three years the ancient will not exist. They will steal them, as they do in many other archaeological sites. Unfortunately, even then we were unable to find a common fit.

That is, the issue is still pending.

-Yes ... But, I want to tell you one more thing. I, all this time, have respected the President's health problem. Now that he has overcome it, when he returns from New York, I will visit him and raise the issue. I will tell him, President, two things can be done: One proposal is to build the hotel out of the area where the ancients extend and the second to build the whole piece in a way that protects and highlights the antiquities. But if the first option is chosen, I want to make it clear to everyone that I will in no way deprive the Church of its property. In this case, the remaining piece must be expropriated. We, the hotel will build it either next to the ancient or on the ancient, in a way that makes it stand out. But we are not going to give away at least the Church's property. Because we are the custodians of this property. I do not want to accuse us of depriving us of Church property. And I will call on the President of the Republic to take a decision, either for one or the other. According to the Constitution, the President has all the powers. Town Planning has power when it is instructed by the Council of Ministers. The other sections have an advisory role ... So I'll take my rattan and raise the Presidential and put the President in charge of it. Because the whole issue is raised, because some do not want to build the investment next to their land."

Max (one can recognize that a Google translation is as good as the Greek original text...)
Jimgward

Re: Archbishop: "We will build the hotel either next to the ancient

Post by Jimgward »

I thought the Church was humble and should be “Christian” - where poverty and lack of possessions are something to be proud of?

Not being massive owners of property with the aim solely of making money?
WHL

Post by WHL »

The biggest property owners in New York are the Catholic Church.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Really WHIL?

This is the list;
(Sorry about formatting)
NYC Property Owners With The Biggest Footprints
RANK FIRM/ENTITY TOTAL
SQUARE
FEET NO.
BUILDINGS/
VACANT
PARCELS
1 NYC (government) 362.1M 4,941
2 Vornado Realty Trust 29.7M 77
3 SL Green Realty 28.7M 73
4 Tishman Speyer 20.5M 36
5 Blackstone Group 20.1M 31
6 Related Companies 18.7M 156
7 Columbia University 17.9M 246
8 Brookfield Property Partners 17.5M 19
9 RXR Realty 16.5M 22
10 New York University 14.3M 111
11 Durst Organization 14.1M 49
12 LeFrak Organization 13.9M 86
13 Rudin Management 13.1M 36
14 Solil Management 12.5M 102
15 Silverstein Properties 12.1M 14
16 Cammeby's International Group 11.5M 82
17 Mount Sinai Medical Center 10.3M 55
18 Glenwood Management 9.6M 33
19 Boston Properties 9.5M 10
20 New York-Presbyterian Hospital 9.3M 58
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

No doubt the Catholic Church are huge landowners worldwide, but not in NYC

In fact, I think they are largest, by area, worldwide, followed by the Inuits.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I was told that by a tour guide going round manhatten, just looked it up and they followed by Colombia university are the largest non profit ownerss
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I took part in the recent demonstration at the site. There are some lovely ancient stone walls there and it would be a great shame to lose the site to development. The anger and demonstration was spearheaded by the arrival of bulldozers who started digging it up without there being any kind of permit issued to build there.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

The developers were quite aggressive to so called trespassers when they first arrived on site and erected the fence near the main road and the fence near the church. They tried to stop me from walking near to the coast earlier in the year and I stated I had a right to walk 50 metres from the sea. No problems since, and it seemed to be the bosses who were in charge of erecting the fences that were trying to exclude people.
Two years ago, a team of archaeologists were working on the site, carefully digging by hand and uncovering artefacts.This year there have been archaeologists aided by bulldozers, not the careful digging that I witnessed previously.
I am no expert, but I would say a lot more careful digging needs to take place on this site, before any development takes place.

I think the sign below is a protest sign.
IMG_20190923_183117262 (800 x 450).jpg
IMG_20190923_183117262 (800 x 450).jpg (97.79 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Anarita John wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:17 am The developers were quite aggressive to so called trespassers when they first arrived on site and erected the fence near the main road and the fence near the church. They tried to stop me from walking near to the coast earlier in the year and I stated I had a right to walk 50 metres from the sea. No problems since, and it seemed to be the bosses who were in charge of erecting the fences that were trying to exclude people.
Two years ago, a team of archaeologists were working on the site, carefully digging by hand and uncovering artefacts.This year there have been archaeologists aided by bulldozers, not the careful digging that I witnessed previously.
I am no expert, but I would say a lot more careful digging needs to take place on this site, before any development takes place.

I think the sign below is a protest sign.
IMG_20190923_183117262 (800 x 450).jpg

Well, it is all politics. This sign erected from the Communist Party "EKEL", which also arranged the demo, means: "Not the destruction of cultural heritage on the Altar of business profit".

The Dept.of Antiquities had 30 years time to excavate there, and also the Army was allowed to built concrete defence positions in the middle of the ancient site. Now, as this property is key for a multi billion touristic project, unique in Cyprus they wake up. If it is so important and to do it now with the help of diggers instead of brushes without a qualm is a scandal for me. It has also something to do with the ongoing disagreements between our Paphos Mayor Phedonas and the local Museum in my opinion....

Here a photo showing parts of the Military Defences within the site

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The Bishop of Paphos isn’t a man with philanthropic desires. Having finally got permission to build his new mega Church on part of what has been open park land, near to the town hall, he is keen to exploit land that the church owns in another very lucrative financial development in Gereskipou. Unfortunately, he seems to have little interest in an ancient archaeological site either. He is keen to sell land to the highest bidder thus adding to the mass of hotels and apartments which Paphos isn’t short of! Plus making yet more money for the Orthodox Church...

Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Having been brought up in a strictly C of E household, I am fast becoming disillusioned with all religions.

I cannot accept having to pay to enter God's House, i.e. UK Cathedrals, I do not accept their need for money for upkeep of the fabric of their buildings, when I see the treasures and land that they own. Make a donation yes, buy a ticket No. Nor the political stance of C of E Bishops, who as I see it, should be more concerned with teaching The Gospel, and caring for the sick and homeless in their Parish, rather than lecturing the public on politics. The terrorism and war which is still carried out in the name of religion, by non Christian religions all over the world, is sickening.

Sadly it makes me question my belief.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:28 pm He is keen to sell land to the highest bidder thus adding to the mass of hotels and apartments which Paphos isn’t short of! Plus making yet more money for the Orthodox Church...

Dee
The project planned on that specific piece of land suppose to be very different to the mass of hotels and apartments in Paphos area. Not only the costs will be around 3,2 billion ( not 40-50 million like for normal hotels) and will bring a lot of income to business people not only in Paphos, also a lot of tax for the municipality. It's directed to a different business model than we have at the moment, where most of the hotels are run as a "all inclusive" system and tourists more likely stay in their hotel, instead to visit the beautiful surrounding and spent money there. Recently, after the bust of Thomas Cook company, many of these hotels and hotel apartments having huge losses and problems to survive. This EDEN CITY Peninsula Resort will be unique in Cyprus and aiming to a different clientele, not travelling cheap cheap, but spending their money also on excursions and restaurants around Paphos district.

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sounds good on paper, but is Paphos the sort of place that the “rich and rare” as far as money is concerned, want to spend their time? The Amathus Beach Hotel was a lovely 5* hotel when it opened, but business didn’t take off as hoped, So it ended up being sold to a large mass tourism company who run it as another All inclusive hotel and changed its name.
Paphos has neither the beautiful beaches of the east coast towns, or the business and commercial appeal of either Limassol or Nicosia. Also it not centrally placed for a commute to other towns on the island. It is mainly a 3* holiday resort.
If you saw the plan of this intended development it looked to include blocks of high rise apartments as well as a hotel and commercial/ shopping centre. There was a tiny looking marina and an artificial island also squashed in.
For this to be built, how would they preserve the integrity of an ancient archaeological site? There will also be very limited open area left along this whole stretch of coastline.
Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Les

Well there's a coincidence, I too have a nephew who is a C of E Bishop.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Probably.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Would they call each other brother?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I have no idea.