Health status of Long term visitor

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Health status of Long term visitor

Post by trevnhil »

What is the status of a long term visitor who would need to seek medical assistance for an illness ??
I am pretty sure that they have no EHIC card, and no insurance
Trev..
daveg

Re: Health status of Long term visitor

Post by daveg »

Pay Private....
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Visitors seem unlikely to be covered by GESY, though hopefully emergency care will be available. I think that they will have to factor in the cost of their health care by taking out private health insurance for the duration of their stay. As is the case now for holidays taken outside the EU countries. But it seems certain the UK leaving the EU will put a stop to reciprocal free medical treatment in Cyprus.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:49 am What is the status of a long term visitor who would need to seek medical assistance for an illness ??
I am pretty sure that they have no EHIC card, and no insurance
How long, is long term in their case?, I think the only way for them, is to pay for private care.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for the replies.. They confirm what I was thinking myself.. :-(
Trev..
darrow

Post by darrow »

I think the cheapest treatment is likely to be the General I believe a private visit to a GESY doctor is €15 but not certain! Much cheaper to take out insurance before you leave UK with a travel insurance. I learnt the hard way years ago when I visited a friend for a week and was taken ill. I was only in my 20's!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

My doctor who I used to see privately charged £25 here for a consultation. Even so seeing what private doctors charge in the UK, Treatment in Cyprus should be much cheaper than that. Visitors will need to have private travel insurance, including health to come here, or sufficient money to cover their treatment.

Dee
josef k

Post by josef k »

Assuming long term means over 3 months, then they should have had private insurance in order to get their yellow slip. If they didn't bother and now have medical difficulties, then they should hot foot it back to the UK.
However, if an emergency, A&E is still available to all at the general hospital for the princely sum of 10 euros.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

How do you know they are from the UK ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well, if not they probably don’t have an EHIC which suggests they are from an EU country. If not Britain...?

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The person is not from the UK, but possibly has a UK passport.. But thanks once again for the latest replies..
Trev..
emgee

Post by emgee »

Dee

We had free reciprocal medical treatment before Cyprus joined the EU.

Alan
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I believe that was so for retired people. But at that time my husband who had taken early retirement, was below pensionable age, so we had to have private health insurance.
I am sure that I read somewhere that the previous arrangement (before CY. Joined the EU) , was terminated by the UK. Seeing the state the UK and the present NHS are now in, it seems very unlikely that it would be resurrected again.
Hence the need for a Residents permit (MEU3) to be eligible for GESY healthcare here.
Dee